AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to all for the kind remarks on the Panamorph lens performance in the various threads as well as the mutual assistance between common projector owners regarding installation and setup with the various scaler, HTPC and other settings.

We are now about 60% through the initial prebuy list, following the order provided by AV Science. We are also at 100% yield in manufacturing since we modified the diaphragm approach early on. There have been enough comments on the Teflon tape issue that we've decided to just not put it on anymore unless we can find a better solution. The only reason for it is to smooth/quiet the ride on the rail system, but this can even be done to a certain degree with household lubricants.

I apologize that we are not getting to all the emails right away. Many people are emailing for status updates every several days and others are asking detailed installation questions. These are all important, but we are swamped with these, with assembly, and with other issues which require attention to support production operations. To help with this, I've posted a new page here so that everyone can estimate the shipping date of their units.

We are coming to a close of our P752 pre-order discount program and greatly appreciate the support of all who participated, many of whom are forum members. After Sunday, August 26, Panamorph lenses will be available direct only at retail pricing since normal distribution will be available through dealers. We anticipate that the retail price will be $1,995.00 at that time, in line with similar products.

The P561 (the 2.35:1 lens) is moving along. There is still a question of the future level of interest in this lens, especially since newer 16:9 projectors combined with the P752 may be the more popular path to this ultimate aspect ratio. However, we are planning to build it, show it, and let the prebuy sponsors decide. I am also planning to bring it to CEDIA for a demo if we can find a willing projector setup.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
386 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Shawn Kelly:
Many people are emailing for status updates every several days...
well, I have been e-mailing about my order every few days because none of my e-mails have been answered! Can you please verify that I am now on your list and that the error you reported to AVS has been corrected. I would like to sell my lens, but I can not expect anyone to buy it until I can prove to them that you actually intend to send me one.

P.S. it might foster a little good will if you stopped shipping Panamorphs to people in the later power buys given that so many of us in the first power buy still do not have our lens. It is pretty galling to have to read a post here from someone who purchased their lens MONTHS after I did

about receiving their panamorph when I can not even get an e-mail response within a two-week time frame.

[This message has been edited by Jim Tittle (edited 08-23-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jim Tittle (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jim, I will check why your emails were not answered with updates to your situation. I do know that we were waiting on confirmation from Alan for your order, and that is being resolved. Please email me direct so that we can confirm the information.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Thanks for the update.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thanks also.

------------------

Gary

STOP DVI/HDCP!

DVI/HDCP! ~= HD-DIVX!!!

DO NOT SUPPORT JVC or anyone else who supports this!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks for the update Shawn.

I can assume then that AV Science screwed up the order of the list.

------------------

--Bob

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
At $1,995.00, don't you think the Panamorph is overpriced ?

I mean, It doesn't deal with the REAL problems of DLP/LCD (like gray blacks and DLP rainbows). Less screen door and more brightness is nice too gain, but these are not the factors which truly hurt these digital projectors.

IMO, Panamorph should have been aimed toward the "poor" pj owners, which are stuck with their soon to be outdated 4x3 lenses and won't be able to afford the switch to 16x9 pj's. Those people probably would have been glad to be able to keep their pj's "alive" with a relatively cheap $500 anamorpic lens.

IMO, Panamorph is a GREAT idea, but it came too late and it cost too much to become a real hit.

Just my opinion so I might be wrong.

[This message has been edited by Jones_Rush (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
433 Posts
Jones_Rush,

I completely agree. I am a (forever, it seems) soon-to-be owner of JVC G15 D-ILA projector. This projector is 4x3 and the possibility of adding a anaphormic lense is appealing to me. But no way I am willing to spend almost $2K for the Panny. That's ridiculous. I'd probably be reluctant to even pay the $600 or so the pre-buyers paid. $2K is a pretty sizable down payment on a brand new or used native 16x9 projector.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Shawn, very much appreciate the link to the table. This is a really good way to keep up advised.

Now having said that. . .

I WANT MINE NOW!! AND IF I DON'T GET IT I'M GOING TO DUMP MY CEREAL ON THE FLOOR!!! (to sound of feet stomping and banging my spoon on the table) http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Dan

·
Registered
644 Posts
Shawn,

I have been sitting on the sidelines for over a year waiting for the shipping to commence without sending you ONE email. The comment you made about having too many unimportant emails to answer just rubs me the wrong way. Shawn, you run a business and as such you should treat every single piece of email as important.

I feel I have been more than generous so far in keeping any of my personal feelings/comments to myself, but I just can't hold back any longer. Maybe by writing this in a public forum (as Jim did) you will respond to my request for information.

I sent you a whopping total of one email, last week, asking for a shipping status and mostly just to verify you even had me on your list. It was all of three (3) lines and included my email address and home address for you to verify. As of today I still haven't heard back from you. Does this sound like too much to ask?

Nicholas Billeci

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Great idea with that Shipping Schedule! Something tangeable to go on, instead of all this guessing.

Hope it's realistic enough so there won't be changes, unless you want to make those dates sooner http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . At least I can calm down now, knowing I will get mine by Sept 11.

Thanks Shawn!

Carey

·
Registered
458 Posts
I do have to echo Jones_Rush's statement about the new retail price for it. It seems every time you post an update, the retail price goes up. It is kinda hard for me to justify paying more for the Panamorph than I did for my projector. I really have to question how many more sales you will get at that price point.

I do understand that you run a business and that you are out to make a profit (Which the preorders probably ate up a lot of.), but I don't see gaining much for the price.

Jason

·
Registered
340 Posts
Shawn,

The link to the PDF of the users manual doesn't work. Could you please fix it and/or e-mail me a copy at [email protected]? Thanks.

(Or if anyone else has a copy and can e-mail it to me,

that would be much appreciated.)

- Chris

P.S. The link to the party pictures has the same problem.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
"I'd probably be reluctant to even pay the $600 or so the pre-buyers paid."

May the lord have mercy on your soul. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/frown.gif

Seriously belmore, you wouldn't be saying that if you had one on that big, beautiful G15. You wouldn't sell it and you wouldn't return it.

Two grand? Well......that becomes a little tougher. Who likes paying retail prices anyway? Everyone that has been following the birth of this lens was well aware that the price of the Pannie was going to be around two grand eventually.

Chris

·
Registered
574 Posts
Chris,

I don't have mine yet, but I sure can't wait to see the improvements...

almost as badly as I wish the gamma wizard were here - no more gamma problems.

Brian

------------------

Our Home Theater - http://www.fatbulldog.com

Last updated 6/1/01

·
Registered
206 Posts
A nod to the comments about the price. $1995 - you must be kidding. Price it as a <$500 accessory and you could probably sell a buttload of these things - not just to the die hards, but to reasonable folk like myself who want a decent home theater but have a life also. I wouldn't pay 2 grand for a screen either. I'd rather put the money in my kid's college fund.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
Shawn, great work on the Panamorph ! I am very happy with mine. As an early buyer & believer, it is nice to see that our faith & patience yielded us a great product at a great discount. You will not find mine on EBAY any time soon http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Regarding current MSRP pricing:

I do feel it is a little on the high side for many potential buyers and enthusiasts, regardless of your real development costs, time, and hassles.

In Shawn's defence:

The Panny is an extremely specialized product with very limited potential for mass sales volumes. The FPTV crowd is not begging for an anamorphic lens, only us very small-numbered tweak-oriented enthusiasts. Any product with such limited sales opportunities will be priced high, no ifs-ands-or-buts ... unfortunately

Shawn, do you have a Panny following at any of the other home theatre forums, or is AVSFORUM the defacto site for all our Panny needs ?

- Andy

[This message has been edited by Andy Lammer (edited 08-23-2001).]

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
CCLAY,

While it is true that people FOLLOWING the history have watched the pricing go up, a $1995 reatil price is still twice what Shawn originally expected. If you go back to the original posts where Alan and Shawn were gauging interest in such a device, the stated premise was for it to be both better in quality and less expensive that the ISCO lens available at that time (the first ISCO was ~$1200 then). I bought mine during the prebuy at $600, but didn't really expect anyone to ever be willing to pay the estimated $995 for it. I really thought I was saving myself only $100 or so from the eventual street price.

In this respect, the Panamorph has been a dismal failure. It failed to meet the price point for its intended market. There will always be a few people that can and will buy something at any price. At $500-$600, I can see why people that don't even own a projector might buy one to use when they borrow a presentation projector from work. At $2000 the market has shrunk to people that have already spent $10,000 or more on their own equipment.

I think Cygnus could build and sell a few thousand a year at $600, but at $1995 I expect to see them scale back to a few dozen for lack of market beyond those here that have already ordered. The anamorphic use of wedge prisms is not something Cygnus has a lock on. I believe Shawn has said that there are some patentable aspects, but the basic idea is not. There is a price-point where Cygnus can make it unprofitable for others to enter the market, but now that the idea and market has been established I think Cygnus is leaving itself open to competition from some knock-off.

------------------

Kirk Ellis

G1000 D-ILA, HTPC, Panamorph (soon I hope),

Dish 6000 (HBOHD,SHOHD,CBS,NBC,ABC,WB,FOX,UPN, KCET -- does it get any better ?)

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Quote from Shawn:

"There have been enough comments on the Teflon tape issue that we've decided to just not put it on anymore unless we can find a better solution."

Shawn, I'm not so sure that would be a good idea. I've expressed my experience with the Teflon tape coming off, but it was in a way my own fault. The tape provides an excellent glide for the lens assembly and I'd like to see it remain in place.

If the tape isn't there, there is a fair amount of play between the rail and the bracket, which I definitely didn't like. It wiggles back and forth. I'm sure anyone else who's run into this would agree.

Now that I know what causes the tape to come off, I'll be more careful when I put it together.

Chris

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.