AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got the 50 inch panasonic and i'm happy overall but the quality of the picture is quite poor. I have digital cable from comcast ibelieve it is digital but i don't think it is HD. I am still using a coaxial as my input into the TV and all the channels look fuzzy and nosiy . What is the best way to get the best picture? Get a different plan? HDMI? I tried looking for the answer but was very confused on some issues. Right now my old 26' olevia looks a lot better. I don't care if I have to spend more I just want a nice clean crisp picture. Any ideas or thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks

Regards

Eric

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes, you need an Hd cable box connected to the set via component or hdmi. You also must subscribe to HD service from your cable provider.

Even if you already have this, you will definately not get the best picture through coax.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderland130 /forum/post/12901336

also does anyone get a buzz from back of unit when it is on?

Yes, everybody does. All TVs buzz when you have your head behind them and it's normal. But if you can hear the buzz more than say 3-4 feet away then the TV might be defective.

If you're getting your cable service directly from the wall to the TV and do not have an STB (Set Top Box), then you have analog cable. To get digital cable, you need to use their STB. If you do have an STB, tell us the brand and model number and what type of connections it has on the back. A link to a manual or other documentation would be helpful.

If you do have cable straight from the wall, you should be able to find the local "HD" channels hidden in the higher ranges. Mine are hidden in the 104-84 through 105-88 range for instance, and a friend in another city found his in the mid 80-1 range.

·
Premium Member
18,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin101 /forum/post/12905788

Just got my Panasonic 50PX75U hooked up to Dishnetwork (standard def) sat. No matter which aspect ratio I watch it in, I get a 1 in black bar or void on the right side of the display area (that is, in 4:3, the black area is between the picture and grey bar; in other aspects, it's at the edge of the screen). No problem with DVD. I don't think it's a defect, but Samsung LCD or RPTV don't have this issue.

It's a well known problem with various satellite STBs. One guy said he was able to go into a sub-menu and adjust the picture to the right to correct the problem, so maybe see if your receiver has such a setting.

It also happened to a friend of mine who uses satellite with an LCD TV, and i think he corrected it by using Component instead of HDMI.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts