AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brain keeps going back and forth trying to apply logic to the question, so I figured I just ask.

At any given screen size, is it better to have the projector zoom all the way up - putting the PJ closer to the screen, or all the way down, putting it the further out but at a more native throw. Or does it matter?

I'm currently working with the X3, and while the zoom doesn't work out to much, when you get up in the 100" plus range it's the difference of a foot or more on the mount.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Most people say it doesn't really matter from a visual standpoint. Some people try to get it in the middle for future flexibility (if they want to try a different screen later that's slightly bigger or smaller for example, especially for DIY screens).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yeah that was the idea I went with when I mounted the X1, and if I was using a 4:3 screen I'd still be ok. But I ran it, and now the new X3 in 16:9 mode, and for some reason the zoom on the X3 does strange things with 16:9. It doesn't just get bigger/smaller, it moves both vertically and horizontally.

·
Premium Member
25,001 Posts
Visible differences may not amount to much, but theoretically a longer throw is better in two respects:

1) Less hotspotting from a directional screen

2) Higher contrast from pj by effectivly using a smaller aperture; smaller ray angles give less scattered light.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well the high gain screen isn't a problem, I'm currently using a wallpainted with Behr Silver Screen. I'm hoping to change that this week, but Parkland isn't sold here, and I don't see the need to order off their website at the new home theatre supply price. Will probably go with something painted, this time with a darker gray. (The X3 is MUCH brighter than the X1)

As for the apature angles, that makes sense. I may have to do some testing to see if I can see the difference. Thanks everyone for all the input.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.