AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If we have consensus, we will have at least some confidence in buying titles by studios instead of guessing.

For example I will buy Columbia title without hesitation if I like the movie, as I know it will be anamorphic and quality normally is good.

I am sure Columbia-Tri-star is top 1 or 2, 20th centry fox is somewhere near the bottom. How do you think the others? List your own ranking here.

·
Registered
944 Posts
If my recent experiences are anything to go by, I would rank WB, Dreamworks, MGM, and Pixar above CTS. Universal would sit alongside CTS. Paramount and Fox are frequently on my $h*t-list when it comes to DVD transfers.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The only studio that I can think of that is doing a consistently good job with their transfers is Anchor Bay. All of the other major studios-Warner, Columbia, Universal, Dreamworks, New Line, Fox, MGM, Buena Vista, USA, Paramount are all still too "hit-and-miss" in terms of the video quality of their dvds.

Though, out of the majors, I would say that Warner, Columbia, , and lately even Buena Vista seem the most consistent, but still have a ways to go. Though all are consistently releasing anamorphic content if that is your primary criteria.

Chad

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Disney, Warner, New Line (part of Warner), Columbia,DreamWorks, Anchor Bay does a good job with alot of less than perfect film stock.

I put MGM at the bottom, many of their DVDs are nothing but LD transfers.

·
Registered
4,354 Posts
well, we could say that inconsistency sometimes rules and we have to work case by case.

WARNER: getting very sharp transfers, aversion for dts, but too pixelated or digital often. Surprising since they own NEWLINE, which is often cited as reference ( colors density, picture density even if a bit soft sometimes, 3D aspect which is very important)

FOX: I like DHWAV except for the EE but the constrast, depth 3D and colors and definition is great. FOX is inconsistent but could it just be the film sources ? FOX non anamorphic transfers were often quite good

ARTISAN: not bad at all.

COLUMBIA: generally great but often serious problem with dialnorm issues. Raised the benchmark with their superbit editions. Issue with EE.

UNIVERSAL: sometimes great (VIRUS, DANTES PEAK), sometimes soso (the JP-LW transfers and the sound issue).

DREAMWORKS: very sharp but lack the colors and depth of some NEW LINE or COLUMBIA or FOX or PARAMOUNT transfers. great sound! they know how to do a dts track.

PARAMOUNT: some great transfers often such as RULES OF ENGAGEMENT, MI2 ( to me). no dts :D

MGM: generally poor but manages to do a few great transfers, with a good balance of depth, colors, definition, contrast (HANNIBAL) or even sub movie (SUPERNOVA) or ROBOCOP. Seemed to put lots of work with success on their Bond movies.

NEWLINE: long thought as reference with some gorgeous discs such as BLADE, LOST IN SPACE ( except lip sync), SEVEN SE, SET IF OFF. great masters of depth, colors and density. a bit soft sometimes. disappointing transfers , kinda, recently but due to problematic film sources.

To me, all movies should have the definition of superbit Columbia, Dreamworks and Warner, the density and colors of PARAMOUNT/NEW LINE/UNIVERSAL, the 3D-contrast of some FOX/NEW LINE/PARAMOUNT and the dts of DREAMWORKS :D

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Quote:
To me, all movies should have the definition of superbit Columbia, Dreamworks and Warner, the density and colors of PARAMOUNT/NEW LINE/UNIVERSAL, the 3D-contrast of some FOX/NEW LINE/PARAMOUNT and the dts of DREAMWORKS:D
David,

You left out the one Studio that does do a lot of things correctly as of late...Disney. OK, with the exception of the DTS soundtrack, their is one DVD that has everything you mentioned above...Toy Story 2!;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.