AVS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a kooky question re: HDMI thru a receiver to an LCD. IF my receiver is off and I turn on my cable box and TV, but NOT the receiver will the tv still display video and play audio? assume an HDMI only setup.

Just wondering for times when the wife would just like to "watch tv"...at the moment the cable box goes right to the TV so if they're both on you're all set. Just wondering if this would hold true if a 1.3 HDMI receiver was the central hub, but was powered off at the same time.

·
Registered
66 Posts
As far as I know most receivers won't do this. I currently run my HDMI direct to the TV and an digital coax to the receiver just for this option, though I've never used it in this manner.

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcNasty /forum/post/12994463

Hey all,

I have a kooky question re: HDMI thru a receiver to an LCD. IF my receiver is off and I turn on my cable box and TV, but NOT the receiver will the tv still display video and play audio? assume an HDMI only setup.

Just wondering for times when the wife would just like to "watch tv"...at the moment the cable box goes right to the TV so if they're both on you're all set. Just wondering if this would hold true if a 1.3 HDMI receiver was the central hub, but was powered off at the same time.

Like it was stated earlier, i dont know of any receiver that passes video without being on. I was hoping i could do it with my new marantz 7002, but the unit has to be on to send video(hdmi) to the tv. I was hoping it would send hdmi video in "standby" mode, but no. Like you said, the wife doesn't need the surround sound to watch the morning news. I thought that was going to be a problem, but i'm getting used to it. I just programmed a "macro" in my universal remote to turn on the tv and the receiver and it beeen working great.

·
Registered
375 Posts
My solution to this problem with my Scientific Atlanta 8300was to run component and stereo audio cables to the tv and a hdmi cable to the receiver. The cable box is smart enough that it will send video and audio through the component and stereo audio cables until the receiver that the hdmi is plugged into is powered. Once the receiver turned on, the cable box send video and audio to the receiver only. This would probably be the perfect solution for you.

another option is to get a 4x2 matrix switch. it will output a single hdmi signal to two different sources.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am in the same boat, for watching TV I dont always need the surround. Do these new HDMI receivers pass the audio to the TV so I can still use the TV and just mute the receiver.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
No, not in general. They strip the audio. Some have a setting to use for this, there are a few that will pass the last selected hdmi device when in standby as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNnDENVER /forum/post/12999041

No, not in general. They strip the audio. Some have a setting to use for this, there are a few that will pass the last selected hdmi device when in standby as well.

I wish the manufacturers would put details like that in the specs of their receivers. Or maybe they do and I just miss them, but anyway what receivers do have the setting to pass the audio, and I think the standby feature would be very nice to have as well. I have looked at all kinds of different brands, but not had the time to demo many. I am looking at the Yamaha 1800, Pio Elite vsx92, Marantz 7002, and the Onkyo 705/805. If anyone on here knows if any of these receivers have these features please let me know. I have lurked around the official threads of all of these but never seen this kind of thing mentioned.

·
Registered
498 Posts
But why not just use a good universal remote, like a Harmony? Push the "watch TV" button. Doesn't get any easier than that. With HDMI, its an all or nothing proposition. I know it may seem inconvenient, but it seems like the work arounds would be more of a hassle than just using the AVR for sound all the time. Around our house, the whole family adjusted pretty quickly to using the remote. Even my 5 year old can work it now

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by griz_fan /forum/post/13002991

But why not just use a good universal remote, like a Harmony? Push the "watch TV" button. Doesn't get any easier than that. With HDMI, its an all or nothing proposition. I know it may seem inconvenient, but it seems like the work arounds would be more of a hassle than just using the AVR for sound all the time. Around our house, the whole family adjusted pretty quickly to using the remote. Even my 5 year old can work it now

Thats what i did. I was concerned that i would be using the receiver for very long periods of time, like the weekends where the tv and receiver would be on all day. Like you said, the family has adjusted well and using a universal remote and programming a macro makes it that much easier.

·
Registered
620 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by switchgear /forum/post/12997364

I am in the same boat, for watching TV I dont always need the surround. Do these new HDMI receivers pass the audio to the TV so I can still use the TV and just mute the receiver.

Your question is a little confusing because you dont always want the surround on but your asking if receivers pass the audio through hdmi. I think you may be in the same boat as i was. I wanted a receiver to pass hdmi to my plasma from my dish network receiver. I dont always need surround sound so i was hoping my marantz receiver would pass the hdmi signal even if the power was off, and I could use the speakers in my plasma for "normal" tv watching. Now for your question. The marantz 7002 and 8002 you can select a setting called "through" in the receiver that sends the sound to the tv instead of the receiver. So the receiver would be on and sending hdmi video, but the audio would be sent to the tv. I not sure how this works, i havent tried it, but thats what it states in the marantz user guide.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts