1 - 20 of 317 Posts

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
33 Posts
It is being done by the guy who made "The Wire" so my expectations are very high. I thought "The Wire" was the best show ever made.

BTW - I thought "Over There" was pretty damn good too, but being on HBO, this should be able to show and do a lot more realistic stuff.

·
Registered
20,731 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by grcswoosh /forum/post/14264168

It is being done by the guy who made "The Wire" so my expectations are very high. I thought "The Wire" was the best show ever made.

BTW - I thought "Over There" was pretty damn good too, but being on HBO, this should be able to show and do a lot more realistic stuff.

I have high expectations as well, especially since it looks like he brought some of the Wire Alumni with him

I am going to try to not be too critical though and enjoy the show. I feel lately too many people are getting over critical of our movies\\TV shows and forgetting to "enjoy the show"

·
Registered
229 Posts
It looks good and HBO has been hyping this FOREVER ever since the wire went off the air. Hopefully this is in HD. From all the previews it looks like it is.

I'm in before this thread turns political like that recount one

·
Registered
28,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 /forum/post/14264163

If it is half the show that "Over There" was, I'll be thrilled.

I agree with that. I was shocked that show got such little traction. Thought it was extremely well done, and with it's focus on the troops, as in this new mini, shouldn't have offended the partisans on either side. But they say war movies/series never do well while that war is still going on. You always need to tell your war stories during the next war. And there's always a next war, isn't there? It's never a long wait.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPanther95 /forum/post/14264163

If it is half the show that "Over There" was, I'll be thrilled.

From what i read in Entertainment Weekly it is supposed to be twice the show Over There was, i'm DVR'ed and ready for this one.

·
Registered
474 Posts
pretty good episode, should be a good series.

·
Registered
3,368 Posts
good opening episode.. beats watching Tony Soprano and the shrink on Sunday nights..

·
Premium Member
35,814 Posts
Good stuff. To paraphrase one reviewer, HBO should just let Simon and Burns do whatever they want. These guys were at the pinnacle of great TV with "The Wire", and it doesn't look like they've slowed down one bit.

·
Premium Member
35,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/14273928

I agree with that. I was shocked that show got such little traction. Thought it was extremely well done, and with it's focus on the troops, as in this new mini, shouldn't have offended the partisans on either side. But they say war movies/series never do well while that war is still going on. You always need to tell your war stories during the next war. And there's always a next war, isn't there? It's never a long wait.

While I thought "Over There" was one of the best shows ever to be broadcast on TV, it didn't surprise me that it was canned. It simply offended too many sensibilities, it was darker than what people wanted(believed?) to see...

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
I thought it was okay. Production values were good and I like the fact that the guy playing Rudy is Rudy, but so far it's nothing we haven't seen before in Over There or Jarhead. Hopefully it gets more visceral and political later on. Right now it just seems like a typical war movie and is going through the usual cliches.

·
Registered
14,422 Posts
It was "OK" but nothing to write home about. You could see basically the same thing on live TV when it happened, just not as good resolution.

·
Registered
783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxeng /forum/post/14283935

It was "OK" but nothing to write home about. You could see basically the same thing on live TV when it happened, just not as good resolution.

My wife loved it, but I lost interest about 15 minutes in. And we're both huge fans of The Wire.

·
Registered
28,048 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by machpost /forum/post/14284399

My wife loved it, but I lost interest about 15 minutes in.

Sounds like a microcosm of the real thing, doesn't it? The coverage of the war has reached shockingly low percentages of the evening "news" now, just a few minutes per week; news organizations are cutting back or eliminating their Iraqi bureaus, etc. It's remarkable how the war seems to be fading from the country's collective consciousness. Maybe this series will remind a few of us this thing is still going on.

·
Registered
23,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/14283314

I thought it was okay. Production values were good and I like the fact that the guy playing Rudy is Rudy, but so far it's nothing we haven't seen before in Over There or Jarhead. Hopefully it gets more visceral and political later on. Right now it just seems like a typical war movie and is going through the usual cliches.

I'll take "more visceral", but not "more political". When they have a series about people higher up in the food chain, the politics are more relevant. Unless they extend the timeline well beyond the capture of Baghdad and Sadaam, the politics are of little concern to the troops in the field and would have to be forced into the characters.

·
Registered
23,806 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by archiguy /forum/post/14284474

Sounds like a microcosm of the real thing, doesn't it? The coverage of the war has reached shockingly low percentages of the evening "news" now, just a few minutes per week; news organizations are cutting back or eliminating their Iraqi bureaus, etc. It's remarkable how the war seems to be fading from the country's collective consciousness. Maybe this series will remind a few of us this thing is still going on.

With less bad news to report comes less reporting at all. Britney/Paris et al trump just about everything but big explosions and a high body count.

·
Premium Member
35,814 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisionOn /forum/post/14283314

I don't know about visceral as it's my understanding this is a true account(more or less) of the actual unit so whatever happened, happened.

OTOH, this episode was littered with political innuendo in typical Simon fashion, not in your face, but definitely there right from the beginning when they were wondering where their correct equipment was(buying their own), incompetence at the command level and even the overall reason for being there. That's the beauty of Simon's work, he doesn't "billboard" the issues for you, he just throws out little bits and pieces and lets you make your own determinations/interpretations. Good stuff.

1 - 20 of 317 Posts