AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 128 Pro. However, it is not supported by Dscaler, so I am stuck with ATI's own de-interlacing software.

Would I get better quality by buying a supported video capture card (e.g. Hauppage) together with Dscaler than by using my ATI All-in-Wonder?

·
Registered
923 Posts
If you can get to a CompUSA, you can grab an IOMagic PC PVR card which is actually just a cheap ($40) rebadged Pinnacle capture card. You can't beat the price/performance for a DScaler compatible card. It should be quite significantly better than your old AIW, and DScaler is getting better all the time.

Enjoy,

Kensai

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Kensai
IOMagic PC PVR card which is actually just a cheap ($40) rebadged Pinnacle capture card.
Kensai,

Which Pinnacle card is it that they have rebadged?

·
Registered
923 Posts
Pinnacle PCTV I believe is the model. Not the Pro version, but the basic differenc is that this model only does mono sound on the Tuner whereas the Pro version has stereo sound on the Tuner. Not much of a problem given that most folks use a VCR to tune, running the video into the capture card and the sound to their receivers or even into their sound cards. Regardless of my accuracy. I love mine.

Kensai

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Does IOMagic PC PVR have Svideo or composite.

How about AIW 7500? Is it compatible with Dscaler?

·
Registered
5,876 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rbrande
ArtisTech,

ATI 7500 is a video card (not a capture card) ....
AIW is a capture as well.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I have both AIW7500 and IOMagic (on separate boxes). I/O magic has _working_ SVideo and composite in, even tho their web site states "unsupported." Both AIW and IOMagic have their quirks, but having IOMagic and a separate video card would be the "better" way to go., especially if you would like to use DScaler. Just be aware if you intend to capture video, the IOMagic bunded SW (PowerVCR II) probably will need a bit higher horsepower CPU than AIW.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ZenerDiode
I think that's the whole point of the question though...Is DScaler + cheap-o capture card better than ATI's De-Interlacer + AIW Pro?
Zenerdiode,

Yes. That was the whole point of the question! The All-in-Wonder 128 Pro is a very nice card, and even allows good video compression and has a DVD player.

It seems like a waste to toss it and replace it with another video capture card (cheap simple one or a more expensive one with the same features as AIW). However, I would do it if Dscaler is much better than the AIW software....

mechou,

Did you try both with a projector? What gives you the best video quality: the AIW7500 or the I/O+Dscaler?

ArtisTech,

Sorry, I misread your original post (ATI instead of AIW) and therefore edited my original response to you.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Quote:
Did you try both with a projector? What gives you the best video quality: the AIW7500 or the I/O+Dscaler?
Although I do have PJ, I'm afraid I can't give you a definitive answer on this one due to different nature of boxes. Box w/AIW7500 is _dedicated_ HTPC (lowly Celeron I "retired"), and box with IOMagic is gaming/work/(sometime) PVR rig w GeForce3 and Athlon 1800+.

But I don't think that there will be much dispute that you'll get best PQ for your money with IOMagic in conjunction w/ATI card (non-AIW).

Quite frankly I'm not as impressed with AIW PQ (especially encoding) as others. (Tuner) colors, details, etc are way to soft for my taste.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.