AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm sorry for the potentially newbie questions:

I have a pair of Genesis I speakers (specs mentioned below) and I was wondering - can I hook up an electric guitar (fender strat) to a receiver, which powers the two Genesis speakers, and use the receiver and speakers "as" an amp?

Is this very basic? or am I missing some key point?

Thanks!

Genesis Physics I speakers specs:

Tweeter: 1" concave dome

Woofer: 8" woofer

Crossover frequency: 1800 Hz

Sensitivity: 88.5 dB, 1w at 1m

Frequency response:45 Hz to 20 kHz

Recommended amplifier power: 10-50 watts / ch

Impedance: 8 ohm

( http://www.humanspeakers.com/genesis/genI.htm )

·
Registered
23,234 Posts
Sure you can.

Is it a wise thing to do? I think not.

The key point is that neither the receiver nor speakers are intended for musical instruments (strat, tele, mustang, Les Paul, SG, etc...) .

OTOH, if you are conducting an experiment to see how long it takes or how much volume it takes to ruin perfectly working gear... have fun!

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
Yes, of course you can use them, but, it depends upon how you intend to use them. For practice on technique etc at sensible levels, great: I used a pair of Celestion Ditton 15 (15W) in my bedroom to practice with for years, but I didn't use them at any level or in any way like I would use them on stage (and never slapped much through them). If your idea is to use them for band practice in your garage with a full drum kit and other players, think again. Use a pedal to get your tone rather than trying to use the speaker overdriven as you would with a combo/stack if you need that in practice.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
You'll need something like a direct box (for example Audio Buddy) to adapt the guitar output to something the receiver could deal with at its input.

·
Registered
9,900 Posts
^^ True. I'm used to active basses which generally don't need anything else.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I've done this lots of times, hooked up my guitars (Fender Strat, Gibson Les Paul, Ibanez, etc) and to my receiver (via some device) and listened to them with my speakers.

That's the key part though, is how to get your guitar plugged into some device that can then transmit the audio output to your receiver.

I've used a $2000+ Ultra Axe-FX or a simple device like the $170 Korg Pandora. Both are guitar effect processors that has line outs that you can connect to your receiver. You'll have to have the appropriate cable and adapter of course depending on your device.

Note, I didn't do this with any of my $1000+ expensive speakers, but I did often do this on my budget speakers, like my $200 Athenas that is hooked up to a Rotel amp. I wanted to mix down some tracks, although I use headphones now, but I do want to get some more neutral sounding speakers, like Behringer B2031 speakers for near-field listening, or maybe an Ascend 170SE.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
The biggest thing will be the sound quality. A typical guitar speaker has a limited response range and a particular "sound". A "better quality" speaker iin most cases sound much worse than a cheap guitar speaker.

If you plug in straight to the receiver-the sound will be very sterile and not sound at all like it should.

If you go through a "pod", then this will help to give a particular "sound" to the guitar that you are looking for. They are designed to simulate a guitar amp and them be put into a full range setup.

Will you damage anything if you don't-no-as long as you keep the system within its rated limits. Trying to "overdrive" something to get "the sound" will probably result in damage-most likely the loudspeakers.

Of course using a "pod" can result in the same damage if run to loud.

But so can simply turning it up really loud with normal music playing.

Keep it within normal operating limits and at least it will "make sound" and get your guitar louder than it would be without it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.