1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Concept:
  • Minimal construction to existing odd shaped room
  • Some soundproofing due to proximity to Master Bedroom
  • Modern colors and design (don't want classic theater look)

Phases:
  1. Preparation
  2. Construction
  3. Installation
  4. Finishing Touches

Important Parts:
  • Paint walls suede blue and ceiling midnight blue
  • Custom fabric sewed for curtains and build cornice over top
  • Access Lighting Phoebe sconces for lighting
  • Panasonic PT-AE3000U Projector
  • Carada 118" Masquerade and MMS BW screen
  • Paradigm Millenia speakers (20, 200, ADP, UltraCube 10)
  • Denon 3808-CI AVR
  • Berkline 13175 Theater Seats
  • Insteon SwitchLincs, KeypadLinc, and EZUIRT for lighting control

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Entrance:

Top Down:

X-Ray

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was just messing around to see what the speakers might really look like.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My brother-in-law Ivan came over to help with the construction. The plan was to get all electrical wire, speaker wire, and conduit installed on Saturday, and do the blow-in insulation on Sunday.

Well the whole weekend turned into wiring only. At first we didn't have enough juice in any of our drill batteries. Then there were issues trying to run the conduit.

I had a small accident with the ceiling, but it's nothing that can't be fixed

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Two weekends later, Ivan was back to help me get the blow-in insulation done. Good thing is half of the room already had insulation batts, so we had less to do than what I thought.

I didn't want to deal with ripping out the dry wall, so blow-in made the most sense to me. When they say this is messy, they mean it is really, really, messy. Every time the pressure built up, it either disconnected the line or blew out of the machine.

Insulation Wall:

Insulation Sponge: (Helps prevent the insulation from blowing back out)

Insulation Reducer:

They didn't sell or rent reducers, so I had to rig something up from the vacuum department

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After wiring and insulation was complete, I patched up the holes. I also taped up all outlets and panels in preparation for paining.

Front Wall:

Window Wall:

Back Wall:

Entrance:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
For the walls, I used Sherwin-Williams SoftSuede Fringe Denim ( SoftSuede faux painting process ).

Most people recommend flat black for the ceiling, but I wanted a midnight blue color. Sherwin-Williams couldn't do dark colors in their SoftSuede, so I went to Home Depot. Even though their computer couldn't calculate the color correctly, we experimented and came very close. Note: In order to get all the ink into the can, they had to scoop some of the base out first, add the ink, and then top off with the removed base.

Ceiling, (Home Depot) Ralph Lauren Suede.

B - 0 192/384 oz.

E - 7 352/384 oz.

KX - 0 64/384 oz.

R - 0 128/384 oz.

T - 0 240/384 oz.

V - 2 192/384 oz.

The beauty of the suede paint is that the rough surface absorbs a lot of light and I might say even works better than flat paint.

Front Wall:

Window Wall:

Back Wall:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went with Insteon controllers for my automation b/c I already have it running in my house. While it isn't as popular as other options, it's affordable and gives me greater flexibility. I'm using Mister House for my central controller running on a small Linux box in the closet.

I chose to install 3 SwitchLincs (Front Lights, Back Lights, Ceiling Rope Lights), and 1 KeypadLinc (Fiber optic starfield, and 4 optional scenes). I only have the front and back lights hooked up right now.

I also installed an EZUIRT. I love this device b/c it's an IR repeater and Insteon transceiver. I need to repeat due to devices tucked away. I use my Harmony One remote to send commands to On/Off/Dim/Brighten the front or back lights.

All of my outlets and switches are in the style of inner-black, outer-metallic. I updated the LEDs on my switches to blue and red.

Entrance Switches:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After installing equipment and beginning initial finishing.

I found some grey-blue fabric from http://fashionfabricsclub.com . I had a local taylor sew it into curtains and add magnets to keep the pieces closed. I then followed these DIY Instructions for building a cornice board and attached the remaining fabric.

Window and Back:

Front Angle:

Front Straight:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Last Friday (7/31/09), I received my Carada Masquerade 118" .

I got the non-wired version so I could attach it to the in/outlet in the wall attached through surge protection.

Wire Run:

Wires Complete:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Front Angle:

Front Straight: (Open all the way 16:9)

Front Straight: (Closed all the way 2.70:1)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Noice screen. I initially thought of 1.85, but went along for 2.35. Now I am thinking it may be a nice option to have the Masquerade (esp. for PS3 gaming purpose). Can you IM me how much it costed you?

Thanks.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

• Panasonic PT-AE3000U projector
  • Carada 118" 16:9 MMS Brilliant White w/ Masquerade
  • Paradigm Millenia 200 (L/R)
  • Paradigm Millenia 20 (CC)
  • Paradigm Millenia ADP (SR/SL)
  • Paradigm UltraCube 10 (LFE)
  • Denon AVR-3808CI
  • TiVo HD XL
  • Xbox 360 w/ HD-DVD
  • PS3
  • Wii (Nyko Wireless Sensor Bar in front)
  • Harmony One remote
  • Insteon SwitchLinc 2476DBK Dimmers (3x)
  • Insteon KeypadLinc 2486DBK6 6-Button Dimmer
  • Insteon EZUIRT
  • Berkline 13175 Theater Seats (4x)
  • Phoebe 50511 Wall Fixtures (3x)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts