AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to see the new Yamaha and Infocus LP530 side by side this afternoon in a mini shootout. The screen was a low gain 0.8 and only 80 inches in width (16:9). Both projectors were fed a signal from an interlaced DVD player (component to the Yamaha and s-video to the Infocus). I was about 14 feet back from the screen.

Well the Yamaha won hands down in the asthetics, features and noise department. This is an attractive unit and very quiet. It will do 4:3 on a 16:9 screen and so on and has a power zoom.

The Infocus looks more like the presentation projector it is. It doesn't have a power zoom (but does have a zoom and lots of lumens) and won't do all the fancy aspect ratios etc. that the Ysamaha does and is somewhat noiser.

The non-superbit The Fifth Element was the demo DVD. Considering it was an interlaced source both projectors looked very good - I would give the edge to the Infocus 530 on picture quality, but this was only a 30 minute or so comparison - too short to draw any definitive conclusions. I think that the LP530 is a nice step up from the LP350 - I didn't see any video noise and no sparklies.

Of course the most impressive thing about the LP530 was its price - $10,000.00 Canadian vs. $15,000.00 for the Yamaha. I am not very sensitive to rainbow so I can't tell you much about that - didn't see any. Colours on both units looked good, but not fully saturated like on the LT150, however I am used to the Hipower sceen and a HTPC! I didn't notice a big difference in the black level in the space scenes nor contrast - I know the Yamaha is supposed to have a high contrast ratio, however, it didn't seem significantly better! Both units looked good to me in both areas, but not stellar. Both units were calibrated, but not a comprehensive one.

What was really impressive was the LP530's onboard processing. S-video appeared sharper than the same source through the Yamaha's component inputs!

Given its price an the introduction (or so I am told) of a new Runco 16:9 lising at $12,000.00 Canadian I think the Yamaha is D.O.A. Yamaha will probably have a 16:9 on the way in a few months. Things are starting to heat up in the Canadian market. Good luck to Seleco and Marantz if they thinks they can come in here with their 16:9s and sell them for close to $20,000.00 Canadian. I don't think so!

For the right price the Infocus LP530 is definitely worth a look - I was quite impressed! I would love to see this one with a Hipower screen and hooked into a HTPC- might as well throw in an ISCO II as well!

Thanks to Kevin (a really nice and knowledgeable guy) at Just Hi-Fi in Kingston for the demo. I am going back in a couple of weeks to check out the 16:9 Runco.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
220 Posts
About the Yamaha.

I got to see the DPX1 here in Denmark last weekend. I was very disapointed to see so much rainbow effect. I mean, it was all over the place. Nice picture though.

I have to agree with David. This projector was virtual obsolete before it launched. I got to see the Seleco HT200 also, and there was a world of difference. I could still see rainbows, but far far far less than the Yamaha.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
David, I was told the Runco was DLP, but you may be right! Regardless I'll take a look. Hey, no rainbow with LCD!

Krimi - You're right about the Yamaha - I think it is dead on arrival with all the changes and the price it sells for. Very quiet and nice looking unit though. Yamaha should keep that part and put new guts in it.

Cheers,

Grant

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.