AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've had a Samsung RP HDTV for about 6 months now, I've finally broken down and signed up for HDTV service through my cable company.

They came out and installed the box and the picture looks great as far as color and resolution, but I have noticable distortion where things are normal size in the center and thinner just to the left and right of the center. That makes the picture look like a sideways funhouse mirror when the picture pans to the side. It also makes people look normal in the middle but skinny when they're not in the center of the frame.

I've had the TV for months and have watched many movies in progressive scan and normal TV. So there is no distortion whatsoever in 480i or 480p. The distortion only shows up when using 1080i.

(I noticed the same thing when trying to use an ATI HDTV adapter with my computer, I originally assumed the distortion was due to some sort of compatibility problem with my video from the PC...obviously that is not the case.)

Is this fixable? Is it just a calibration problem or a possible circuitry problem? And is it something that my Best Buy special 4 year extra warranty would cover?

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
17,410 Posts
The first thing I'd check is to see if you don't have a couple of stretch modes going.

I recently saw a Samsung using one stretch mode to widen an image and the Sony DVD player setup to narrow the picture to 4:3 on a 16:9 disc. The combination more or less fit the screen but it was distorted.

·
Premium Member
14,310 Posts
It is fixable, it is a calibration problem with the HD geometry. Sets which support 480p native have to seperate geometry memories. This is one benefit of sets that upconvert everything to 540p/1080i or 720p.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.