AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I assume that all the early HD adopters are in the high income catergory. As I know a little about marketing reseach, it could be the segement of population that marketers spend billions trying to reach. It would be no big deal to put ABC/NBC HD back in moment given the amount money at stake, maybe even more OTA HD from broadcasters. As I heard of talking about HD commercials, why not? are there better ways to target one segement of population through OTA HD? Big, giant Corps, listen! If we are beer drinking, big car driving, high cholestrol home owners with fat belly, we are big deal to the Beer Inc., Car Co, Gas Ltd, Drug ind, and sports club.

One approach is to do a survey amount forum members to show the power of OTA HD adopters and then present the results to the networks, and big advertisers. I hope this will put a lot of pressure on HD nagging ones. I am a number cruncher, and I volunteer to do the analytical report if there are numbers to report.

Here's my propsed survey

Zip:

Income:

1 for 100K above

2 for 50K to 100K

3 for 50K under

Home Owner:

Yes/No

HD Viewing Channels with hours

Station Weekday/Weekend When How Long Shows

1. CBS Weekday Morning/Afternoon/Prime Time 3 hours CSI, Love raymond.

2. Fox

3. PBS

4. ABC

5. NBC

etc..

If we can get accurate numbers here, I believe that we can really promote OTA HD, not only in NYC area, but the whole country.

Cheers

My survey results:

Zip:08820

Income: 2

HomeOwner: Yes

HD:

CBS Weekend afternoon 4 hours sports

CBS Weekday primetime 3 hours CSI, raymond etc

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVONE
It would be no big deal to put ABC/NBC HD back in moment given the amount money at stake....
Your assumption is incorrect. The reason local ABC & NBC digital stations are still off the air, is due to a having a suitable location for the transmitting site. Work is being done as we speak to remedy the problem.

Regardless of how much money your target sponsor group represented, HD viewers are probably less than 3% of the total viewing audience; a literal drop in the bucket.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Quote:
Work is being done as we speak to remedy the problem.
Is it though? I heard they had stopped work on it due to money problems.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Even if it is only 3%, the numbers will help us

1. get ABC/NBC back in a timely fashion without delay

2. promote others to air HD OTA

Of cause, it all depends on the 3%'s characterisitics. Correct me if I am wrong, is that true the top 5% pay 50% of tax in this country? Commerical targeting is about puchasing power not about absolute numbers or percent. It is different from polls and propaganda.

Cheers

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HDTVONE

Of cause, it all depends on the 3%'s characterisitics.
Not in the TV business, at least for now; it's all about raw numbers.

The other problem I didn't mention, is that Neilson doesn't even track digital TV ratings. I believe this is already in the works to change, but I don't remember a firm date for it to begin.

Your idea has been batted around by a number of members in the past, and was commented on by HDNet as a future possibility. Unfortunately for now, it's an idea ahead of its time.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by trekkerj
Is it though? I heard they had stopped work on it due to money problems.

Hmm. If they DO NOT start broadcasting, then they run the risk of LOSING THEIR FCC LICENSE entirely (Analog and Digital). While the FCC has granted them extensions, they will revoke the license if they don't start broadcasting. The FCC will give them a "reasonalble" amount of time, and then revoke the licenses.

While the short term costs of HD Broadcasts are high, the long term costs of NOT DOING HD are astronomical.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ken H

The other problem I didn't mention, is that Neilson doesn't even track digital TV ratings. I believe this is already in the works to change, but I don't remember a firm date for it to begin.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hlight=nielsen

Next year Neilsen goes digital.

I have to find articles to reference EBS updates since there are extreme integrity issues to deal with.

GT

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
mishagray, there is no way the FCC will pull the licenses of ABC and NBC's flagship stations--certainly not the current FCC with their ultra pro-network agenda.

9/11 is all the excuse they need, until there is a new WTC to put a tower on.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rgrossman
9/11 is all the excuse they need, until there is a new WTC to put a tower on.
They should be on the air way before a new WTC is built. Despite all the delays, the combiner project at the Empire State Building should happen eventually (next Spring? Summer?).

·
Registered
228 Posts
Quote:
They should be on the air way before a new WTC is built. Despite all the delays, the combiner project at the Empire State Building should happen eventually (next Spring? Summer?).
Then again hell might freeze over first.

It did happen before Fox will be HD

:D

·
Registered
14,492 Posts
I read an article in a trade rag the other day about the combiner at ESB and they are shooting to have all the mast work done before winter sets in and the renovations (structural strengthening and moving around of tenants) of the upper floors of the ESB and the additional AC power is almost complete. When all this is done, the broadcasters will be able to run full power analog and digital from ESB, something they can't do now.

Of course George is in NYC and he may have a more current line.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Mast renovation (of the blimp mooring mast), is mainly for analog antennas. The flat panel/combiner is for the digital.
http://www.pbase.com/image/21833622.jpg

GT

I cant identify is this is ESB or Conte Naste.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by George Thompson
http://www.pbase.com/image/21833622.jpg

GT

I can't identify if this is ESB or Conde Nast.
Either one....man, does that look scary!:eek:

BTW, George, I heard from a well-placed source at WCBS, that because of the lawyers' failure to come to terms on contracts, operations, etc., that you guys and the other NY affiliates won't be able to resume digital broadcasting until early Q2 2004.:( Say it ain't so.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Either one....man, does that look scary!

BTW, George, I heard from a well-placed source at WCBS, that because of the lawyers' failure to come to terms on contracts, operations, etc., that you guys and the other NY affiliates won't be able to resume digital broadcasting until early Q2 2004. Say it ain't so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's about right.

·
Registered
530 Posts
george

That antenna photo is quite extreme. There are not that many guys who can climb a tower like that and look down, safety harness or no safety harness.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.