AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously it's easier to make a decision when you remove cost and value for the dollar from the equation. So...what display would you choose in the 50" screen size if all the choices cost the same amount?

1. Plasma

2. DLP

3. LCD

4. LCoS

Now for extra credit...pick a manufacturer for the technology you chose above.

Pencils and keyboards down - turn in your test.:)

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I am unable to respond to this poll until I find out whether my LCoS problems are inherent in the technology itself. If not (i.e. if I just got an odd one) then it would be my vote. Razor sharp and bright picture. Good black level and contrast. Good on SD. Great on DVDs. Fabulous on HD.

But if the technology doesn't last for more than a few months before degrading it could be a problem, and would quickly fall off the list IMHO.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Why do you assume there is an absolute best technology? I think it has been made clear that there are pros and cons for each of the technologies. I believe an individual may find a best technology for his/her watching habits and preferences, but I don't think that is the same technology for every person.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Relax - Feddie. We all know (or should know) there is no best technology for everyone. And I don't want this poll/thread to turn into a discussion on the pros/cons of each technology.

Just a simple question - if all the 50" displays cost the same - what technology would you choose. Oh...and the extra credit is of course optional.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
The best picture I've seen is on the Toshiba LCoS.

I'm not saying that because I own one; I own one

BECAUSE of that.

I believe in the technology (so far), and Toshiba's

solution is the ONLY 1920x1080 option AND the

only 3 chip option. So it's a no-brainer if you don't

factor price.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Best technology would be a 3-chip DLP in my opionion.

I think affordable 3 chip DLP units will be available in 2-3 years.

3 chip LCOS is very nice, but the rapid deterioration of organic compounds of current LC technology as seen in the Texas Instruments sponsored 'torture' test is worrisome.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
If a 3 chip 1920x1080 DLP set existed, it would be really easy to get me onboard.

But no such thing exists. No plans for such a thing exist. And it will be years before such a thing will.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's interesting to note that plasma is leading the poll so far - even though the poll is in the RPTV section.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mit07
Relax - Feddie. We all know (or should know) there is no best technology for everyone. And I don't want this poll/thread to turn into a discussion on the pros/cons of each technology.

Just a simple question - if all the 50" displays cost the same - what technology would you choose. Oh...and the extra credit is of course optional.
My bad. I read the poll title and it didn't say anything about what you would buy, and obviously missed that part in the first message. I just thought with all the problems the thread on LCD's has caused, we didn't need something on a wider scale. :cool:

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mit07
It's interesting to note that plasma is leading the poll so far
Thin is sexy.

I don't mind a clunky box with a big footprint if it means superior PQ,

but i suspect most people do.

Also since plasma is $pricey$ people *assume* it's better.

And if price is no longer a factor plenty of people would choose

the most expensive option as a default.

·
Premium Member
1,313 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by zvogt
the ONLY 1920x1080 option AND the

only 3 chip option. So it's a no-brainer if you don't

factor price.
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
Mitsubishi LCOS :)
--

D'oh. :p

Not the first mistake I've posted.

Of course it's hard to take the Mits option seriously with a $21k MSRP.

But since price doesn't matter, I guess I'll change my vote.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is the Mits LCoS a 50" display? I'm not familiar with it...

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Zvogt - although the poll doesn't specify (because of space) my first post below the poll asked for the best display technology for 50".

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It would appear from this unscientific poll that there are proponents of plasma, DLP and LCoS - but hardly anyone would choose LCD (if price was not a factor).

It seems LCD is only popular with the cost conscious bang-for-the-buck viewers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.