AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are a serious company looking for a serious solution. This enterprise-wide project involves ReplayTV 4000s, remote recording and delivery of content via the Internet.

If you are interested in being considered for this unique contract-based project, email your resume to [email protected]

Thank you

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
How come your serious company doesn't have their own email system? It'd be hard to take anyone too seriously in business if they use a hotmail (or similar type) account...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The reason our company is not using our DNS for reply to emails is because we do not want to "advertise" to our competitors what we are doing/planning.

Our company functions in a competitive industry, with ample opportunity for unique product development, and hands-on experience.

This is not a spam, faux lawyer scandal or the like. We are targeting this forum because you are all ReplayTV experts and that's who we need.

Repectfully (and truthfully)

[email protected]

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I'm loathe to use the word "never," but I'd be hard pressed to imagine a circumstance under which I would ever send any personal details to a hotmail email address.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You won't post a "real" e-mail address because you don't want to advertise to your competition. So, you assume your competition reads this message board. We can therefore assume that your competition has seen the post. Therefore it follows that your competition has e-mailed your Hotmail account pretending to be regular Replay user and ready for your offer in order to get more detials on what your are doing/planning.

So, if your competition already knows what your are doing, then you might as well reveal your offer on the forum along with your company detials.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sounds fish to me too. What 'Big Company' couldn't buy a few RTV's themselves and have a summer intern program them for whatever they are interested in.

With all the legal action going on, I suspect that someone needs to document, like a chain of custody deal, a copyrighted program 'belonging' to one of the principals being moved from one person to another using Sonic Blue equipment. Just my guess folks..

·
Registered
131 Posts
MSN/Hotmail retains the rights to use or display anything sent through their system.

From MSN’s TOS - http://privacy.msn.com/tou/

“Microsoft does not claim ownership of the materials you provide to Microsoft (including feedback and suggestions) or post, upload, input or submit to any MSN Site/Service or its associated services for review by the general public, or by the members of any public or private community, (each a "Submission" and collectively "Submissions"). However, by posting, uploading, inputting, providing or submitting ("Posting") your Submission you are granting Microsoft, its affiliated companies and necessary sublicensees permission to use your Submission in connection with the operation of their Internet businesses (including, without limitation, all MSN Sites/Services), including, without limitation, the license rights to: copy, distribute, transmit, publicly display, publicly perform, reproduce, edit, translate and reformat your Submission; to publish your name in connection with your Submission; and the right to sublicense such rights to any supplier of a MSN Site/Service.â€

“Microsoft reserves the right to disclose any personal information about you or your use of the MSN Sites/Services, including its contents, without your prior permission…â€

No offense to the original poster, but to make a decision to use a service such as hotmail while insisting your trying not “to "advertise" to our competitors what we are doing/planning†does not lend a great deal of creditability to you or your endeavor.

edit:

The only way this would make sense is if you were Microsoft.

Your not Microsoft, are you?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Lobber asks for resumes but no criteria. Odd.

As far as the competition... well, companies normally make job posting without revealing the details of particular projects. I don't see the problem with posting a job for say an engineer with experience with ReplayTV 4000 technology. If secrecy is still an issue go through a reputable recruiting agency. This whole thing seems a bit suspect.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Oh give me a break. How tough is it to have an employee or something register a "dummy" web address? I can get one from www.registerfly.com for under $10.00, and it will auto-forward to any email address I want. A legit company concerned with preserving its confidentiality would be more creative than using a spam^H^H^H^Hhotmail address.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jbarr
Oh give me a break. How tough is it to have an employee or something register a "dummy" web address? I can get one from www.registerfly.com for under $10.00, and it will auto-forward to any email address I want. A legit company concerned with preserving its confidentiality would be more creative than using a spam^H^H^H^Hhotmail address.

I have to agree, I have two domains MYSELF, plus a spam address at Yahoo and an IP account with attbi.com.

A legit company would also contact someone else, like a lawyer or a direct market company to be their front man.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
There was a reporter posting on the Replay newsgroup a while back, from a hotmail address. Everyone there assumed the obvious, too -- it turned out he really was a reporter, for PC World.

I don't understand these people, but they do exist.

·
Registered
702 Posts
On the other hand, this guy could just be clueless and told to use an anonymous address and didn't really think about the 'tude of the forum. Not defending hima nd I agree with y'all, but it's sort of amusing to think of the frustration this guy is having if it's legit. "I just wanted to hire a friggin intern to distribute corporate training videos on replaytv and look at the response I get..." Most amusing.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Jeez. I love all this paranoia! I've probably been on the WWW for as long as ANY of you guys (you know - alpha versions of mosaic, etc), and guess what? I have a Hotmail address, which I use. Sure, I get tons of spam, but it's a good product otherwise. I can download my hotmail mail right from my mail program (Entourage), which I can't do with any other web-based email services.

Can you imagine what he might do if he got ahold of your email address? Why, he might MARKET to you! The horror!

--------------------------

We don't need privacy - we just need to eliminate taboos.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
He's asking for resumes, not just email addresses...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.