AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New HDMI specs due first half of 2009. New connector means it's time to upgrade again!

Networking

Consolidation of HD video, HD audio and now high speed data with the addition on Ethernet in the HDMI cable.

Audio Return Channel

Elimination of a S/PDIF cable by allowing for a TV to send audio streams upstream to an A/V receiver for processing and playback over the HDMI cable.

Performance

4K x 2K and 3D are high performance features to be met by increasing the upper limit of the HDMI link.

HD In Your Car

New connector specification for the auto industry as the world's largest auto makers move to digital HD video and audio for 21st century cars with HDMI.

Smaller connector

New, smaller 19-pin connector

·
Registered
366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog /forum/post/15516277

New HDMI specs due first half of 2009. New connector means it's time to upgrade again!

Networking

Consolidation of HD video, HD audio and now high speed data with the addition on Ethernet in the HDMI cable.

what's the anticipated application for this?

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Hopefully there's some plan that will let new source devices connect to devices with the older connectors and versions or people are going to be very angry.

HDMI.org seems pretty silent yet, but I saw this same info on a link from their site, so I think this info is reliable.

·
Registered
920 Posts
I am good no upgrades are going to happen for me, but I will watch and see what happens with this.

Rahimlee54

·
Registered
4,546 Posts
Oh no, I smell a "Why You Don't Need HDMI 1.4 Thread" coming

It will be a great place to post and justify your Receiver/Prepro purchase that has HDMI 1.3X and to speak of the evils of the new technology, spread some falsehoods. Should be a real winning thread
I see the Anthem guys coming.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Man, you need to get over that thread, B&W. Just like the Japanese and Americans are friendly in spite of bombing each other during WW II. Time to move on

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15517190

Man, you need to get over that thread, B&W. Just like the Japanese and Americans are friendly in spite of bombing each other during WW II. Time to move on

I didn't know that there was one already

Just trying to stay with the facts...well and a little joking to keep it light

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Jokes are always appreciated in this economy. Unemployed and looking here. Seems like if you know J2EE or C#.NET you are employable, and if you are a C++ guy you are a bum

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
HDMI 1.3 was not the ''end all be all'' alot of people taught it was... Some people even taught that the earth would stop spinning after HDMI 1.3...

Receivers/displays/players manufacturers want to sell new products every year, and HDMI iterations are one of many things to push sales... That's the only way they can stay in business... by pushing new products every year.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15517362

Jokes are always appreciated in this economy. Unemployed and looking here. Seems like if you know J2EE or C#.NET you are employable, and if you are a C++ guy you are a bum

Sorry to hear that. Yesterday I had to layoff an employee because of economics

You should check out the Traffic Control industry. They still program in C++. As I remember, Skyline and Safetran is in your area. Maybe you should call them?

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVESQUE /forum/post/15517457

HDMI 1.3 was not the ''end all be all'' alot of people taught it was... Some people even taught that the earth would stop spinning after HDMI 1.3...

Receivers/displays/players manufacturers want to sell new products every year, and HDMI iterations are one of many things to push sales... That's the only way they can stay in business... by pushing new products every year.

I am glad to see you are a proponent of new HDMI technology

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&W700guy /forum/post/15517480

Sorry to hear that. Yesterday I had to layoff an employee because of economics

You should check out the Traffic Control industry. They still program in C++. As I remember, Skyline and Safetran is in your area. Maybe you should call them?

Funny you say that, I actually did inteview with Skyline a few years back. Cool company. I guess I was not what they were looking for. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15517661

Funny you say that, I actually did inteview with Skyline a few years back. Cool company. I guess I was not what they were looking for. Thanks for the info.

They were one of my competitors in a past life. Good company, you should give them a call again

·
Registered
4,546 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RequiemX /forum/post/15517689

My god. When will it end?

LOL...It will never end.

·
Registered
336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15516327

Hopefully there's some plan that will let new source devices connect to devices with the older connectors and versions or people are going to be very angry.

HDMI.org seems pretty silent yet, but I saw this same info on a link from their site, so I think this info is reliable.

Hopefully simple adapter will do?

·
Registered
5 Posts
They should just make the next rev able to cram every single signal present in the system, into one cable
It would make connection nicer.

This include power and amplified audio

·
Registered
896 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattledog /forum/post/15516277

Great. Now I can delay my upgrades yet again while the bugs get worked out of this new version.

·
Registered
120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juancmjr /forum/post/15518345

Great. Now I can delay my upgrades yet again while the bugs get worked out of this new version.

HDMI 1.3x still has issues. You could be waiting a long time to upgrade if you want the bugs worked out of the new spec. It may not be available for say, 6 months and then take another year or so to get debugged. At that rate, you may never upgrade.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
It would have been acceptable to me for HDMI to have chosen a more stable transport such as giga bit ethernet, and then grafted their standard onto that.

I am fine with them making any changes they want, as long as it's still backwards compatible though. Perhaps the plug change does not change any critical pin outs, but deals with complaints over the current plug.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts