AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my copy of HTB mag today. I'm looking forward to pouring over it, soaking it all in.

Visually, it works. Being a graphic designer I'm torn over the sketch effect photographs & artwork that appear fairly frequently. I guess personally if it's a picture of a person, I want to actually see a picture. Not a pseudo drawing. If you're just trying to fill room, then feel free to get artsy-fartsy.

But overall I think it's a nice piece. If nothing else, it's a nice first try. It'll be very interesting to see where this goes.

If I had to find a complaint (in the small bit I leafed through it so far) it would be the "Installer Spotlight". I haven't read through this section yet, but typically the only understanding I finish up these Audio Video Interior style articles with is the understanding that I can't afford to have anyone else do this stuff in my house but me. I know, I know - you can get some way cool ideas from this stuff - right? Well, sure - IF they tell you how THEY did it. Chances are if they're getting paid to make this stuff, they're not going to tell you their secrets.

That said, I think the reader spotlight HT feature could be expanded upon. Find a reader that has something really different to their HT and go off of that. Tell me how I can do THAT. That's what I subscribed for - to find out how to do it myself - not who can do it for me.

Like a lot of people in here, I placed my 3 year subscription hoping for more useful information than eyecandy. If I wanted eyecandy, I grab my newest copy of AVI - and if ideally if I wanted to find out how to do it myself, I'd grab my newest copy of HTB.

Is it worth the price of admission? For me - yes. (hell - I just spent $40 on wheels for the DVD rack/cabinet I'm building - I have no problem spending $40 for a 3 year stream of useful information) Am I glad that I picked up a 3 year subscription? Yes - If they can deliver 3 years of mags and then some, I'll be glad to re-up when my time comes. Was it worth the wait? That depends on how antsy you are. :D

My opinion - bottom line... keep it DIY as much as possible and as project oriented as you can and you'll keep our interest. Show us and tell us how other DIYers did it and chances are we'll keep coming back to you. I know I will.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.