AVS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased Scott's GetGray calibration ISO and burnt it to both a DVD+R disk and a DVD-R disk. Neither disk will play on my Panasonic DVD-RP91 player, nor my RCA player. Both disks play OK on my computer. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I am doing wrong? The disks are worthless to me if they do not play on a DVD player.

Thanks

· Registered
434 Posts
Hi daulthou, And welcome to the forums!

Did you try burning the iso with ImgBurn? I didn't have any luck either with Nero 6, but ImgBurn worked like a champ! There is a link to ImgBurn on the GetGray site...

· Registered
1,463 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daulthou /forum/post/0

I purchased Scott's GetGray calibration ISO and burnt it to both a DVD+R disk and a DVD-R disk. Neither disk will play on my Panasonic DVD-RP91 player, nor my RCA player. Both disks play OK on my computer. Does anyone have any suggestion as to what I am doing wrong? The disks are worthless to me if they do not play on a DVD player.

Thanks

Does the RP91 (which is an old player) play other DVD+/-R's in the past??

If not, then maybe it just does not support it, I know my JVC that is about as old as your RP91 doesnt play them

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Gutierrez /forum/post/0

Hi daulthou, And welcome to the forums!

Did you try burning the iso with ImgBurn? I didn't have any luck either with Nero 6, but ImgBurn worked lick a champ! There is a link to ImgBurn on the GetGray site...

Thanks--I'll give ImgBurn a try.

Rich-You may be correct about my DVD player. It is about 3 years old.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
IMGBurn is the way to go..as simple as it gets..

btw..the RP91 came out years before that..at least another 3 years..so about a 6 year old player..

· One-Man Content Creator
25,609 Posts

Quote:

Thanks--I'll give ImgBurn a try.

Rich-You may be correct about my DVD player. It is about 3 years old.

According to this DVD+/-R should be ok: [EDIT: oops, bad link. See below].

Check the comments about media compatibility. Sometimes one media id type will play and another won't.

-Bill

· Registered
1,463 Posts

· Registered
6,401 Posts

Quote:

Thanks

The trick with Nero (Ultra 6 or Ultra 7) is to select DVD, then go to Photo and Video tab and select Recode DVD-Video. When the window comes up, select Import DVD and then click on the Video_TS folder. When the program finishes loading all the files, select the Burn button (assuming you have set all of the parameters for the correct burn speed, verification, etc. for your blank disks. I have had no problem with my RP91 as long as I use DVD-R disks (the GC cheapies from Fry's Electronics). The RP91 has problems with DVD+R disks.

I haven't tried the ISO version, since I got good copies with the Video_TS files downloads.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
CT_,

Thanks for taking the time to write the procedure that worked for you. I really appreciate your input. I have Nero Ultra 7 and did exactly what you suggested and burnt a DVD-R but it did not play in my RP91. I guess my machine will not recognize my DVD's. I tried everything suggested on this thread so far, burnt about 10 DVD's but nothing has worked yet. I hate to buy another DVD player until the industry settles on one format. Years ago, I was one of those who bought a Sony Beta video player. I have been thinking about Panasonic's DVD-S97S with HDMI, but I really like my RP91. I play a lot of DVD audio discs.

Thanks again CT for your great suggestion. I'm glad it worked for you.

Dale Aulthouse

· Registered
6,401 Posts
Another thought. One of the things that I did was to set the burn speed at 2x, even though my DVD-Rs are rated at 4x. I found that recording at 4x (on my laptop) or at "Max" speed didn't always result in readable discs on some DVD players. Since the file size is small, it doesn't take very long anyway.

It's strange that your RP91 won't read your DVD-R. I have a number of TV movies that I copied (PVR on my PC) and burned to DVD-Rs. I've had no problem playing them on my RP91. I'm trying to remember when I got mine, but I think it was around 6-9 months after they became available.

BTW, I've replaced my RP91 with a Sony DVP-NS75H upscaling player. It does a very good job over the component connections (480p - which I needed) but doesn't have the adjustments that the RP91 has. In hind-sight, I should have waited another month, or so, to get the Oppo 970H, since it's a better player (and doesn't have some of the limitations that the Sony has). Oh, well, I'll wait for the HD players to sort themselves out before my next DVD player upgrade.

· Registered
6,734 Posts
I downloaded and burned the ISO file last night using Nero 7 Ultra and cheapie bulk DVD -Rs. I did make sure that the disk type was set to DVD (Nero defaults to CD) before burning, and I let Nero determine the max burn rate. But it worked fine in both my RP-62 and my HD-XA1.

· Registered
31 Posts
I have a question with regards setting the brightness using GetGray.

I know the brightness control should be adjusted so that the below back bars have blended with the background, and that the +1 and +2 are visible.

What if it's a case where the adjustment comes down to one click either way, i.e. having the +1 and +2 clearly visible, but with the below black bars still 'barely' visible, or having the below black bars blend with the background but only the +2 visible?

Would it be better to opt for the latter at the expense of a little shadow detail?

· Banned
3,550 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Serpent /forum/post/20105097

I have a question with regards setting the brightness using GetGray.

I know the brightness control should be adjusted so that the below back bars have blended with the background, and that the +1 and +2 are visible.

What if it's a case where the adjustment comes down to one click either way, i.e. having the +1 and +2 clearly visible, but with the below black bars still 'barely' visible, or having the below black bars blend with the background but only the +2 visible?

Would it be better to opt for the latter at the expense of a little shadow detail?

I wouldn't adjust brightness at the expense of crushing blacks within the limit of adjustments. +2 should be visible IMO.

· Registered
31 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMo /forum/post/20105357

I wouldn't adjust brightness at the expense of crushing blacks within the limit of adjustments. +2 should be visible IMO.

+2 is visible if I were to go the route of the below black strips blending with the background, but the +1 strip isn't. For the brightness to be set correctly, both +1 and +2 must be visible, but going that route the below black strips are very faintly visible, which they really shouldn't be.

You'd adjust then so the +1 and +2 are visible?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.