·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GetShellCommands plugin for WiRNS v0.7a

Version 1.0 (02/18/04)

By j.m.

Description

The GetShellCommands plugin proxies requests to getshellcmds.pl on the ReplayTV servers and (optionally) allows WiRNS to return custom shell commands to be executed by your ReplayTV 4xxx/5xxx instead. Its uses are limited only by your imagination and willingness to experiment with shell commands. Be warned, however, that THIS PLUGIN IS INTENDED FOR ADVANCED USERS ONLY. It makes no attempt to control, modify, error check, or restrict the shell commands you specify. Use of this plugin could harm your ReplayTV. Please read and acknowledge the DISCLAIMER below before installing and using this plugin.

Installation

For existing WiRNS users: To install the plugin, place the "GetShellCommands.dll" file in the "Plugins" sub-folder within the folder containing the "WiRNServ.exe" file.

For new WiRNS users: It is possible to use this plugin with a very minimal installation of WiRNS by extracting only the "WiRNServ" folder from the WiRNS .zip package, editing "WiRNServ.exe.config" to include the appropriate values for your network, and copying the included "GetShellCommands.dll" to the "Plugins" sub-folder after deleting all other files there. (To be clear, in this case, you do not need the "WiRNSImport" component, nor do you need any of the other files in the "Plugins" sub-folder.) Finally, to use WiRNS, you must change the DNS server(s) in the network settings of your ReplayTV to the IP address of the PC running WiRNS.

_____

Usage

To return custom shell commands, create a file named "shellcmds" in the folder containing the "WiRNServ.exe" file. Using any text editor, type the custom shell commands into the "shellcmds" file. The format is one command per line. Save the file. During a net connect, the message "[PLUGIN] GetShellCommands using shellcmds from file" should appear in the console window.

NOTE: if the "shellcmds" file exists but is empty, *no* shell commands will be returned. If the "shellcmds" file does not exist, the request will just pass through to the server, and the message "[PLUGIN] GetShellCommands using shellcmds from server" should appear in the console window.

_____

Links

WiRNS http://wirns.sourceforge.net

ReplayTV FAQ http://www.replayfaqs.com

ReplayTV TWiki http://www.molehill.org/twiki/bin/view/Replay/WebHome

DISCLAIMER

THE SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED "AS IS", WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NONINFRINGEMENT. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE AUTHORS OR COPYRIGHT HOLDERS BE LIABLE FOR ANY CLAIM, DAMAGES OR OTHER LIABILITY, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, TORT OR OTHERWISE, ARISING FROM, OUT OF OR IN CONNECTION WITH THE SOFTWARE OR THE USE OR OTHER DEALINGS IN THE SOFTWARE.

getshellcommands_v1.zip 6.072265625k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Thanks for the convenient util.

Does "spawn ftpdInit" shell command to enable Vxworks ftp server still work? What shell commands have you tried?

Thanks.

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Oh if you could enable FTP that would be great, has this been tried?

j.m. the tool looks interesting, I wonder what people will come up with.

Any list of the shell commands? I checked molehill and didn't find much. I don't expect this to be in the FAQ... =) I guess it's time to grep through the system...

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
These regedit commands look particularly interesting in light of the 55xx -> 5xxx discussions:

regedit setval SysConfig/DefaultPlayback CommercialSkipEnabled 1

regedit setval Software/Apps/Internet InternetEnabled 1

·
Registered
209 Posts
mayeki what are some of the other registry variables in RTV? Would be cool to see if we could up the number of simultaneous IVS transfers that are allowed.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
moyekj, I just PM'd j.m. thinking it would take a while before anyone made the connection... I was counting on many lazy users. You were one of the smart ones that threw my theory out... =)

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jeff D
moyekj, I just PM'd j.m. thinking it would take a while before anyone made the connection... I was counting on many lazy users. You were one of the smart ones that threw my theory out... =)
Thanks Jeff, but you replay old-timers and Todd Larason deserve all the credit. Twiki has had the information forever, including the sample RNS proxy perl script which enabled lots of good things, including Wirns and getting a copy of the channel guide information onto a PC as an alternative to using XMLTV zap2it listings.

The timing of j.m.s posting coinciding with the other 55xx->5xxx thread was just too much of a giveaway. :) j.m. you should have waited another day or two. :)

EDIT: So Jeff have you or someone actually confirmed the regedit settings work on a 55xx? I suppose I could try doing the opposite (i.e. disabling CA & IVS on one of my 4xxx machines) to try this out, but I'm not inclined to do it.

Also, I'd still really like to know if ftp server can be enabled somehow?

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
moyekj, yes confirmed. There is no need to enable the shell command state variables, as it just gets reported to the DNNA server on connect, and no real reason to do that...

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally posted by moyekj
The timing of j.m.s posting coinciding with the other 55xx->5xxx thread was just too much of a giveaway. :) j.m. you should have waited another day or two. :)
Well, I already waited a month to release this. I was tired of waiting. This plugin has many interesting uses besides the ones already mentioned. With ReplayTV development essentially dead, I hope this plugin might allow us to get a little more mileage out of the software.

·
Registered
886 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by j.m.
With ReplayTV development essentially dead, I hope this plugin might allow us to get a little more mileage out of the software.
You know, I kind of get ticked when people say this. We have no evidence of this, but people keep saying it. In fact, we know that there are beta versions of ReplayTV software still being rolled out to people. Just yesterday we had someone post that they had version 25 or something like that, when the current official version is 19. It was explained off as being a beta machine. So obviously some development is going on.

Whether they are new features or just bug fixes (my guess), only a beta tester would know, and they aren't supposed to tell.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Well it has been essentially dead for a long time. I don't consider the show|nav & alcatraz releases major development work. The last big change was the 5.1 software release, and that wasn't earth shattering compared to 4.3. And given the recent downsizing of the RTV group (where even ReplayRichard was moved to Rio group) all the anecdotal evidence seems to suggest RTV line stops here.

·
Registered
886 Posts
But it's all anecdotal evidence. ReplayRichard moving to Rio was no big loss, since he didn't really bring much to the forum, and we don't know about what new opportunity he moved on for. Downsizing of staff is nothing new, maybe some development work was farmed out to their Escient group, or even offshore to India (CSR's aren't the only positions that could be off-shored).

But the fact that there are NEW beta releases still going out to testers shows that all development isn't dead. New feature development on 5k series, maybe, but development has to stop at some point (maybe because of obsolete or underpowered hardware, etc.). Look at 2k, 3k, and 4k series. You have to stop developing on old hardware in order to work on the new (dare we dream?).

And I would disagree with you that 5.1 wasn't earth shattering. Remote scheduling and conflict resolution is certainly better than not having that capability on my 4k's.

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:
Originally posted by joesc1
Just yesterday we had someone post that they had version 25 or something like that, when the current official version is 19. It was explained off as being a beta machine. So obviously some development is going on.

Whether they are new features or just bug fixes (my guess), only a beta tester would know, and they aren't supposed to tell.
Without knowing the build date of this "version 25," you can't know for sure how "new" it really is.

·
Registered
886 Posts
True and neither does anyone else except a beta tester. Any beta testers wish to let us know the latest build date? That shouldn't violate NDA, right? :)

I'm not saying I don't appreciate the work you and others have done to improve the Replay experience. It is very much appreciated. Thank you!

But to continually scare newbies with all this doom and gloom talk is counter-productive. It is NOT confirmed, just people's guesses. Some people do come here for research prior to purchasing a Replay. If they see long time members saying the sky is falling, then they won't buy. Causing DNNA to have reduced sales, and deciding to stop new development. Hence fulfilling the prophecy.

Until someone like Lyndon or Justin (jleavens) says that the sky is fallling, I think we should hold off on pronouncing this product dead. Just my opinion.

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Go on with your business... :)

·
Registered
8,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joesc1
So obviously some development is going on.
Build 125 was talked about here about 3 months ago, right before the layoffs hit...

So, you can think there's still development. But I don't see any proof too back that up. Not that I'm saying the product is dead, just that there's no new software yet.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Now that the cat out of the bag, what with the big deal with people still trying to keep this a secret and not write a step by step instructions on how to do this. I new to replaytv and would like to try this out.

Thank You

·
Registered
183 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by macintoshse
Now that the cat out of the bag, what with the big deal with people still trying to keep this a secret and not write a step by step instructions on how to do this. I new to replaytv and would like to try this out.

Thank You
Sorry posted in the wrong thread

1 - 20 of 131 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.