AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone had issues getting their Gateway SX2840-01 to connnect to any LCD TV at the Native Resolution of 1920x1080 via HDMI. I'm trying to sort out if my diplay or the HTPC is the culprit. I have tried to connect the HTPC to my Samsung LN-S4095D at 1920x1080. At that resolution two inches of the Windows 7 display are off screen. I have tried numerous LCD settings and Graphic card settings, but either I get a small picture centrered with shaky graphics, or I get an over sized display with pristine graphics. I can't get a happy middle. I tried the PC port as well via VGA, but 1920x1080 is not an option when connected to the LCD via VGA(highest is 1280x768). I get the feeling that a DVI to HDMI or VGA adapter will give me the same issue as well. Has anyone out there worked with the LN-S4095D and got it work in 1080p as well????

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Try using 1080i instead of 1080p untill you solve the screen image size problem.

It your TV is overscanning the image of it's HDMI input you need to change the picture/sze setting in order to eliminate the overscanning. On older Samsung models it was called "Just Scan" however I don't currenlty recall the Name on the current model.

Your Samsung user's manual I beleive has a PC chapter describing all of the ways to change your PC settings to work best with the display.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

However, there is no way on the LN-S4095D to change settings for a PC comming in through HDMI. Like I said before I can't get the HTPC to recognize anything larger than 1280x768 in VGA mode. Samsung is as helpfull as a lipless man in a soup eating contest. They ran the whole book and gave me to a supervisor who told me that "They don't know how to rectify the issue and talk to Gateway or my video card supplier". I don't see gateway being much of a help either in that case. I know that my current blu-ray player and tivo-hd have no problem communicating and transmitting in 1080i and 1080p via HDMI. Why can't this integrated video card do the same. I looked for updated video drivers, but I'm current. The Television doesn't have a firmware update available either. The whole reason I went this route was to go HDMI for a replacement internal blu-ray support. I guess I may just have to return the HTPC or suck it up and buy a new Videocard that is more compatable with my monitor. Any thoughts out there, or anyone know a work around for the LN-S4095D??

·
Registered
66 Posts
I just got a Gateway DX4831-01e from BB for $550 and it works with my Westinghouse 42 LCD, which is 1080i. Windows 7 reports 1920 x 1080 via VGA and HMDI. I am also getting DD 5.1 audio from the optical port. I just cannot believe that I got this computer for $550...

·
Registered
4 Posts
just bought the gateway sx2840-01 and hooked it up to my 37" Westinghouse in the bedroom. works like a charm. so far so good. hard to read anything on screen at 10' - 12' away though. gonna eventually try it out in my living room hooked to 720p projector on 106" screen. awesome comp so far...

i've had the same problem with a 26" sharp 720p flat panel though with ubuntu on one of my cheap linux boxes. can't figure it out for the life of me. windows xp little bit better but had to use weird display output. 1280x720 or 1368x768 unuseable.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
There are some TV/monitor receiver chips in 1366x768 native resolution units that will not accept 1366x768 as a resolution but which will accept 1360x768 since 1360 is divisable by 8 and 1366 is not. The reson for this is that the basic font size for all windows display text is 8 wide by 12 high.

There are no fixed pixel digital technology monitors or TVs whose native resolution if interlaced the all use progressive scan. Many 1080p HDTVs however will not acept 1080p resolution over HDMI/DVI or component they will, however,l accept 480i, 480p, 720p, or 1080i.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.