AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I noticed in the settings that the Surround options for the TV/iPod/etc is 2-Channel source but a STB is a multi-channel source.  So is the D-in ONLY a 2-channel source input regardless of the item connected to it?  I would like to connect the STB and get 5.1 decoding from that but it does not appear possible from the manual?

Can someone verify that the D-In is 2-channel Source only?  I know other units have the HDMI inputs which I assume would then fully decode 5.1 from the HDMI source directly, but optical does carry multi-channel so it's odd that it's only listed in the surround options as a 2-channel source. 

Also I have a Panasonic TV with Optical out, and the same question applies, that optical should be multi-channel out from the Panasonic TV, but can the BT190 only take it as a 2-Channel input?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

So would it be best with multiple sources coming into that single optical to use an HDMI switcher WITH an optical out so all sources can provide 5.1 instead of 2-channel?  This was installed into an RV by a dealer and I want to add an STB/AppleTV/ChromeCast and use the optical out of the TV to all get 5.1 in the coach from the BT190.  Trying to determine the best setup.  I have an HDMI switch, but that's just video.  I tried a mono-price HDMI with optical switch but the splitters on the backend did not like the video signal.

Sounds like sourcing HDMI/optical from each source to the BT190 is the best bet and setting it to the STB settings in the manual?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.