AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to get a HLN507W but no OTA or Sat Receiver untill next year. Do you think I am making a mistake by doing this. Should I spend the extra and get the receiver for only a few channels.

I just plan to use it to watch DVD Movies, and I will use cable TV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
If you're going to be watching tons of dvds on it then go for it. If it's mostly going to be used for regular old analog cable most of the time, I say wait.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've had my HLM507 since mid December and I only have my DVD player and analog cable going into my antenna input.

I have Comcast Cable In the SF Bay area and most of the channels actually look quite good on my set. I'm hoping Comcast rolls out HDTV in my area soon, but in the meantime, I'm quite satisfied with regular cable on my Samsung.

·
Registered
548 Posts
VTboy,

You might also check with your local cable provider and see what their forcasts are for getting HDTV to you.

Is VT for Virginia Tech or for Vermont or something else? I would figure that a Hokies fan would be looking foreward to possibly seeing Frank Beamer's crew in high def!

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No, my cable company doesn't have HDTV and they have no plans for a long time. No VT doesn't mean Virginia or Vermont. I am from California.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
There was a thread awhile back asking what people had plugged into their Samsung DLP. IIRC, well less than half the people has an external HD receiver. Unfortunately, this isn't a true picture at least some people were probably using some sort of HD reciever in the HTPC they listed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I say go for it all. I bought an OTA set top box when I bought my 617. I also have Dish with a nonHD receiver. All my local channels are into HD (Dallas) and I find myself watching stuff JUST because they are in HD. It is very addicting once you see the quality difference.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Set tops with the cable compatibility agreement features should be out this fall. Cross-channel and multipath problems will be better dealt with too. If you're not in a hurry, you might want to wait until fall.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.