AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well,

I've been wanting to get a Panasonic commercial set ever since I witnessed the incredible photos on his panel. However, in my eternal wait to get permission from my wife to pull the trigger (anyone who is married gets what I mean!), I inadvertently discovered that she grabbed one of the last Pioneer 6070s for me at Sam's Club as a surprise Christmas gift. I am elated to finally get a set, but tell me how I should feel? Will this be a good set? Or should I return it for something else? How does this set compare against all of the others of the same size and price? What are its good and bad points? I know that there's always another set around the corner, so I'm tempted to just accept this set and enjoy it. Any opinions?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a 3 year old (3 generations ago) Pio Elite and it still has a stunning picture. I would have zero concerns with a Pio "70" series.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well,

I've now been running the set for over 100 hours on full screen setting using D-nice's final cable settings for the 6070. I have to say that this is a GREAT set!! My only complaint is the limited settings available. In sd, the picture is not as good as my old 32" CRT (Due to the larger screen size), although cartoons are fantastic. On dvd, this set is excellent. I'm using an old Toshiba SD9000 Cinema series (480i) via component, and I am very pleased. The only hd I've seen so far is via TWC, and the best is definitely HDNET. Most of the other stations are hit and miss.

The 6070 is sitting on its stand without the bottom speaker (I actually am slightly disappointed because it doesn't adjust lower when the speaker is left off). The only issue left for me is how to hide the wires. I have a power cable, a cable for cable tv, a composite cable for my vcr, and two sets of component cables. Currently, they just hang down. Does anyone have a suggestion on how to hide them??

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
nice wife,

congrats you got an excellent plasma in the 6070.

you san use some flexible tubing and put them in side that. tie them along down one of the stand legs should look a little better.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm actually trying a piece of pvc tubing, painted black of course, that I will feed all the cabling through and position in the center rear of the display; I'll post back what it looks like later if I can.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Your wife is a smart well informed shopper.

I bet she picked the Pio 6070-HD for you because she could see the superior PQ and processing compared to other brands at a great closeout price..

Pioneer does make a stand with shorter legs made for side mounted speaker panels that fits this the 6070 without the gap underneath. its just the leg attachments that are shorter. everything else is the same. Also its black gloss instead of a matte finish like the one you received.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you happen to know where to find one? I would really be interested in finding one asap before they "go away".

Yes, my wife is actually very sharp at those things; she is just extremely reluctant to PURCHASE them! Case in point: since we've had the set for a week now, she has had plenty of time to witness just how fantastic it is, and yet she hasn't commented ONCE about its beautiful resolution, and she just watches our old set in the other room!!

"Women, can't live with them.......

Pass the beer nuts."

Norm on Cheers

·
Registered
5,603 Posts
he might be talking about a stand for the pro1540? i think that is last years elite 60" model. might try in the 7g thread to see if any owners that wall mounted their pro1540 has a stand they are not using for a decent price and to confirm the dimensions to see if it fits the brackets.

·
Registered
582 Posts
yes, for the price and size, it is no doubt the best 60" HDTV currently available - or rather nearing extinction. Other comparatively 60" sets like the XSRD rp may be cheaper but the pdp is far superior. Other current 60" fpds are inthe 6-10k range.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pioneer did not give you accurate info.

The Pioneer table top base PDK-1015 was shipped incorrectly with my 6070. The base and mounting holes fit perfect but legs were too short to allow space to mount the bottom speaker.

I contacted Pioneer. They shipped the correct base PDK-TS15U. it is the exact same profile base except with longer legs and a matte finish instead of glossy.

I have both pedestals and they both fit. I thought pioneer would just send me the longer legs.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shm353 /forum/post/12687491

Pioneer did not give you accurate info.

The Pioneer table top base PDK-1015 was shipped incorrectly with my 6070. The base and mounting holes fit perfect but legs were too short to allow space to mount the bottom speaker.

I contacted Pioneer. They shipped the correct base PDK-TS15U. it is the exact same profile base except with longer legs and a matte finish instead of glossy.

I have both pedestals and they both fit. I thought pioneer would just send me the longer legs.

Hey, thanks. The only problem is that everyone who sells the PDK-1015 is in the UK. I'm not sure I can get it in the US.

·
Registered
15 Posts
i dunno,

u might try ebay

I was thinking of selling mine and then decided to keep them in case i get thrown out of the house.

LMFAO

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

We happen to have a PDK-1015 Table-Top Stand that has never been opened because the unit was wall mounted. Still in the box.

We're looking to sell it if anyone is interested.

It is currently located in Southern California.

Please let me know if you are interested in purchasing.

Thanks,

Michael

1 - 19 of 19 Posts