AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I have been a lurker here for some time, but as I am finally starting to put the pieces of my (non-dedicated) home theater puzzle together thought I should as a question...

General information : The room is located in the basement and is about 15' x 50' x 7' (really 7'8", but there are large oak beams every 3 feet or so which come down to 6'10") and is naturally divided into three distinct sections (roughly equal in size). One end has a bar (eventually a pub) area, the other end has a fireplace on one side wall with a large window opposite, the middle is a rather undefined space where a walkway and adjacent room doors are.The ceiling is wood (oak), the floor will be cork), the walls are (or will be) a mixture of paneling and drywall over concrete and a stone fireplace. I am setting up the end wall by the fireplace to be my home theater area. There will be a large (but shallow) custom built-in with a 96" - 100" wide acoustically transparent (I am leaning toward Enlightor 4K) 2.4:1 screen in the middle (just below one of the oak beams) driven by a Sony VPL-VW200. The upper section of this built-in will be no more than 8" deep and the lower around 15" deep. This is a self imposed limit which I am not flexible on. My initial thought was to build cavities and use in-wall speakers for the L-C-R, but decided on getting Polk VM series for everything (about the same depth)... VM-20 for L-C-R and VM-10 for the sides and rears. The subwoofer(s) will go in the lower section of the built-in.

This is my (two-fold) quandary : Given the VM-20 mains have a lower end of 70 Hz with an 80 Hz -3 dB point, I fear the bass will suffer. I have looked at quite a number of recommended (from the forums) subs, but most of the well regarded subs will not fit my space limitations... In addition, it seems most of the true subs do not (understandably) really go very high which might leave me a void in the 60 - 100 Hz range. This concern is largely due to the manufacturers no longer putting out frequency response curves (which I recall they did back in the 80's).

My thoughts : I have considered a couple solutions. One involves a Polk Audio DSW microPRO 3000 which goes reasonably high (120 Hz at -3dB) and looks like it would complement the VM20 frequency response range. The negative being I would have limited sub-30 Hz response (24 Hz at -3 dB). I suppose I could add a 10" Sunfire True-Sub, but would this give me an unbalanced bass? My second thought is a three sub solution. Two 8" mediocre subs (e.g. Polk PSW111) to give me good 50-150 Hz (or so) placed directly beneath the L-R VM20's (about 7' apart and driven from the respective L-R signal) with a good (given the space limitation) true-sub in the center providing the sub-50 Hz bass.

I am currently planning on a Denon 4311 as my receiver which can possibly compensate for some of the (potential) audio issues, but I have no idea how much it can "fix".

Ok... That about sums it up. Any thoughts? Please keep in mind the cabinet depth limitation I have (a 12"-13" deep sub is about all I can handle). I am also not willing to have a subwoofer as a piece of furniture... This is a multi-function room, not a dedicated theater. Also, we don't need to be replacing the local movie theater, but it would be nice to have an enjoyable experience (though as our living room is directly above this space perhaps the enjoyment needs to be somewhat limited - LOL).

Thanks for reading this long mess and for any help you can offer.

Derek

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Budget? Well... I guess no more than a couple thousand. I realize the cubic measurement is rather large, but I am not going to put up walls to separate the areas... It is an old house with a lot of character and we are working to bring it back to it's beauty. This basement area is under the original portion of the house and it flows quite nicely (now that I have removed the changes put in place by previous owners).

As for the dimensions... Hmmm... The lower section is going to be about 15" deep (including the back of the cabinet and front molding, which is why 12" or so is about the interior depth. Interior height will probably be around 24-26 inches, it will be full width (15 feet), but it will likely have some divisions. I would guess I could have an 8'w x 2'h x 1'd space made available. Perhaps a custom subwoofer, but I have no idea where to start with that.

Derek

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
I'm having a hard time following your exact max size requirements. If it's what I think it is then I recommend the F113. They are quite small and pack quite the punch.

I also recommend the Def Tech SuperCube Reference.

I know where you could get an F113 (brand new from an authorized dealer) for relatively cheap. I also know where you could buy dual used SuperCube References (if they aren't sold yet
) for well under your budget. I can personally vouch for the guy selling them as I have purchased several used items from him in the past. He takes very good care of this equipment.

PM me if interested.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To reiterate, I am not willing to go with a subwoofer which is more than 12 (or so) inches deep. It will be located inside a cabinet whose outer depth dimension is 15 inches. I am aware of the room size issue, but I am not trying to make the entire house (nor room) shake, just have a nice place to watch movies. The seating area is only around 1/3 of the total room size and I am looking at getting good sound reproduction not chest compressions from the sound system.

Ignoring the room size issue for the moment, what about my other questions? Small L&R 8" subs to extend the range of the mains down to 50 or so Hz (also offering stereo if that actually works in the 50-10 Hz range) with a high power 10" sub to provide lower frequencies? Vs. 1 10" sub designed to complement the mains and 1 10" true sub? Would the two different sub types give an unbalanced sound? I have seen matched pairs in setups, but never dramatically different subs.

Derek

·
Premium Member
1,971 Posts
DIY is the only thing I can think of. The smallest sub that I am willing to recommend is ~15" deep.

Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.