AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I should be receiving my panny TH-50PHD6UY in the next two days. I contacted Comcast to see about picking up an HD box. Their response was...

"I'm sorry sir, we cant give them out over the counter... a tech needs to bring it to your house and install it for you... the fee will be $49.95.

She apparently works completely unsupervised. I ask to speak with someone else and she said there was no one else to speak to.

Of course the tech will not be able to come out before superbowl sunday.

Has anyone been able to get around this sort of thing ????

TIA - monsoon

·
Registered
129 Posts
I am getting mine from Comcast this afternoon and it is only costing $15.99 to come out and install it along with the monthly charge of $5 for HD and $9.95 for Digital Classic. This is listed as the costs in the Comcast brochure for Colorado. Looks like you are getting ripped off.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm getting my Comcast HD install on Friday after calling last Saturday for the appointment. I, too, will pay the $5 HDTV fee and the $9.95 upgrade to Digital Classic (to get the extra HD channels as well as Kids Discovery channel). However, my install will be 'free'. I just told the CSR that I had seen a recent mailer (true) about "free install with a digital upgrade". I don' t have the mailer, and I would guess that the official offer has expired. However, the CSR said "we'll do the install at no charge". So...I think it's worth asking for the free install!

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I asked about a free install... was told that there was a 9.95 special install price on the HD... but then I was told that I live in Howard Co., that 9.95 only applied to the surrounding counties, but I could have it installed for half price ($25 bucks) "if i wanted."

The $5 HD monthly fee applies here too.

Basic Digital (which includes analog) in my area is $59.95/mth.

They wont be able to be out till Tuesday morning.

I"m kicking myself for not doing this earlier, I had no idea a service call would be required. I also think Comcast should loosen up and supply HD boxes over the counter. Not all of us are complete idiots when it comes to hooking up our own equipment. Although Comcast seems to think we are.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by monsoon
I"I'm sorry sir, we cant give them out over the counter... a tech needs to bring it to your house and install it for you
It's the same here in MA. Apparently they had a problem in the past of people getting HD boxes and not having HD sets. The installer that came out to do mine said that many people didn't understand that all widescreens were not HDTV and many others ordered them to get the S-Video/Digital audio outputs due to the shortage of L-series boxes......

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had the free installation letter for digital as well but it was only for exchanging the original cable box with a digital or HD one according to the wording. We finally handed back our 10 year old box back last month after realizing we were not using the premium movie channels to warrant it's cost. $16 is not too bad for coming around to get it set up so I didn't push for the free install.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.