AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 channel story,
Well - It started out that I just wanted to add airplay for music to a little Zvox 220 under the TV in my small Den – (the zvox is a GREAT product BTW and I wouldn’t trade it for any soundbar for TV and movies in this space) – so I bought an airport express. The room is very small – 10x12 with a 7.5 ft ceiling.
This worked great for about a week when I decided I would like to try a true stereo again.

Next I picked up a pair of PSB Image B4 speakers and pulled an old Yamaha receiver out of the attic.

This worked pretty well but I wasn’t happy yet - not much bass and the receiver didn’t really fit the room too well.

Next I picked up a really small sub (psb subseries 100) and the NAD 3020. The 3020 is great and is a keeper but the sub (and probably any sub) just doesn’t work in this room. The PSB speakers, while sounding really nice were causing some pretty serious fatigue to my ears – something I’ve never experienced before, but I’ve never had a stereo in a room this small – I’m sure they are good speakers and would probably work fine in just about any other space.

I returned the Image B4s and replaced them with definitive tech ProMonitor 1000s. I really wanted the DT studio monitor 45s but they just wouldn’t fit.
These ProMonitor 1000s provided plenty or bass and a softer or warmer sound, but the midrange was not as clean and clear like it was with the Image B4s – the sub is in the closet at this point – It will get set back or given as a gift to some lucky family member.

So at this point I figured since I already invested in the NAD, I may as well get some speakers that I really want to listen to – The problem being space.

I happened stumble across a review of the Silverline minuet speakers while looking for really small bookshelf speakers. This is where the story ends – These speakers sound ridiculously good. I ordered them from a gentleman named Alan who I believe may be the owner of the company. They sound incredible. They have me re-ripping all my CDs to lossless. The detail is like nothing I have ever experienced before (I am no audiophile – that’s for sure) – I can listen to these things all day long – tons of clean sound at both high and low volume and absolutely no fatigue. The bass is clean and surprisingly deep in this little room. This little setup has me looking at even possibly adding an OPPO BR player so that I can pull my music lossless across the wire (vs. airplay) and so that I can try “other than apple” downloads. (The Sony BR player I have now won’t pull alac off the network so airplay is currently my only lossless option) I am actually still too lazy to deal with physical media (eyes roll - I know) and I’m not interested in running off a computer.

Anyway - It’s been fun getting back into my music after so many years. This forum has been an inspiration along the way. Thanks for listening to the ramble...

·
Registered
734 Posts
I like posts like this. I went through a similar experience a few years back. It's fun to hear new things in music you've loved for years. The technology can be hard to keep up with for some folks, but putting a system that you enjoy is very satisfying. Congrats on finding a system you enjoy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.