AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wrapping up all my electrical so that I can get it inspected and so I can start insualting and dry walling. So I just have a few questions to make sure I've covered all my basics.

projector location:

Ran 3" conduit for 2 sets of components, and 2 HDMI runs

Ran a panamax power kit for the projector

TV location:

ran 3" conduit for 2 sets of components, and 1 HDMI

ran a panamax power kit for the TV

in all four corners of the room I've go a combo hi/lo voltage box which will supply power and coax for possible sub locations

I've got 10 gauge Belden cable for the all speaker locations (FR, FL, FC, RS, LS, RR, LR) also wired in for future bass shakers.

Ran cat5 galore 6 pulls to the front, a couple to several locations through out hte room, and several for the rear seating area.

I also ran 2 USB cables to the front TV location, and 4 USB cables to the rear seating location, each cable is in conduit, and is an active extnesion cable which can be used for USB remotes for play games, hooking up a camera to show off photos, or even to hook up external hard drives or DVD rom drives, all of course for the HTPC.

Basicly from that is there anything else I might be missing?

- Josh

·
Registered
5,833 Posts
I ran conduit, but I ran all known wiring (HDMI, component, etc) OUTISDE the conduit. I wanted to use that for future use and expansion. If I don't use a cable or don't need it, its lost in the ceiling and wall, but at least I have the conduit space if I every need it.

Not sure if you need it or want it, did you run and IR expansion or do you plan on using Cat5? What about IR to the project, same question? Did you wire for shakers?

Bud

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog
I ran conduit, but I ran all known wiring (HDMI, component, etc) OUTISDE the conduit. I wanted to use that for future use and expansion. If I don't use a cable or don't need it, its lost in the ceiling and wall, but at least I have the conduit space if I every need it.

Not sure if you need it or want it, did you run and IR expansion or do you plan on using Cat5? What about IR to the project, same question? Did you wire for shakers?

Bud
Planning on using the conduit later as for starters in my basement I will be using my TV, I can then pull out the component cables and HDMI cables from the TV location and use them at the Projector location when I get that at a later date.

I will be using some of the Cat5 runs I pulled for IR repeater system, but never thought about the projector, thanks on that one, I'll put a line of cat5 for the sensor for that one.

and yea I did wire for the shakers, I actually pulled 8 lines (i know its not needed) for the shakers.

anythign else anyone can think of?

as always, thanks for the help.

- Josh

·
Registered
817 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by umdivx
in all four corners of the room I've go a combo hi/lo voltage box which will supply power and coax for possible sub locations
You will want to check this with the electrical inspector. I don't believe that you are allowed to mix line-level and low voltage wiring in the same box (but, I could certainly be wrong).

Good luck,

Dwight

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
 http://www.smarthome.com/images/25445_big.jpg

as quoted from the manufacture: "This box is listed for use per the 2002 National Electrical Code, Section 800-52 (a)(1)(c) Exception No. 1. "

pics of examples of how its used: http://www.smarthome.com/25431.html

I am not the only one here who has used these box's, I actually got the idea to use them from another member here, and if he has passed with these box's I am sure I can as well.

- Josh

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,585 Posts
Yo Minnesota. I escaped in 1978 after my share of winters and ice fishing (aka an excuse for my father to basically get out of the house).

As for wiring you may want to think about future proofing for subscription source material. After getting HD Sat quality pictures I find myself watching the HD version of movies even if I own the dvd.

Anyway I ran 6 quad shield RG6 lines from the outside of the house to the equipment stack and a phone line for the sat box. I also ran 2 quad RG6 lines from where the cable enters the house to the stack. While I'm only using one line for the sat I'm ready for what the new satellites will bring.

I forgot to run some lines from the attic for the OTA antenna which I may have been able to do a lot easier before I finished the basement by running them up alongside a PVC vent stack (must have been that frostbite on the brain).

Also I see that Verison is running fiberoptic cable to the homes now (Next town over) for the purpose of phone, data and video services at a higher bandwidth then the coax service. I'm not sure if that would have warranted additional interior wiring of some kind.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Might want to consider running optical audio (toslink) connection to where your game console might go. This is some what important for an Xbox. I am assuming you have component there as well. Also, I would make sure you have your high speed connection there as well. Personally I am not a big game player any more (no time) but I thought it would be nice to build this in.

Projector--I would consider a dvi cable just in case. I am not big into adapters.

I did not see if you were using a grafik eye but I would run cat 5 to it so you can use your IR extender system.

Are you planning to have curtains in the front? Double check that you have an outlet at the proper height/location. I would also run cat 5 to it as well for the ir extender.

Nice touch on the usb cables. I probably should run one or two : )

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC
Yo Minnesota. I escaped in 1978 after my share of winters and ice fishing (aka an excuse for my father to basically get out of the house).
I was born here, and I'll die here :) dunno what it is about me but I just cant give it up :)

Quote:
As for wiring you may want to think about future proofing for subscription source material. After getting HD Sat quality pictures I find myself watching the HD version of movies even if I own the dvd.
for future proffing I am just going to stick with the 3" conduit as this is a town home that I am finishing the basement off and I don't fore see my wife and I living there forever, basicly I am just covering my ends for me needs right now.

Quote:
Anyway I ran 6 quad shield RG6 lines from the outside of the house to the equipment stack and a phone line for the sat box. I also ran 2 quad RG6 lines from where the cable enters the house to the stack. While I'm only using one line for the sat I'm ready for what the new satellites will bring.

I forgot to run some lines from the attic for the OTA antenna which I may have been able to do a lot easier before I finished the basement by running them up alongside a PVC vent stack (must have been that frostbite on the brain).
damn you just reminded me about OTA UHF/VHF anntenna for the OTA HDTV, I would have totaly forgot about that one.

luckily I just found a length of PVC unsued that runs staight to the attick :) so I can get up there and put up the antenna and run my coax down the tube, I am also usign that same tube to run cat5 to the rest of the house.

Quote:
Also I see that Verison is running fiberoptic cable to the homes now (Next town over) for the purpose of phone, data and video services at a higher bandwidth then the coax service. I'm not sure if that would have warranted additional interior wiring of some kind.
The Verizon service is called FIOS, and will give an average home 50mbps, unlimited Phone, and TV services over the same line. They will mount a CSU (Customer Subscirber unit) in your home then all the connections go to that, you phone lines, Coax for TV, and Cat5 for internet, so really there is no additional wireing needed for that service. I just wish I was able to get something like that at my house.

thank again, keep the tips comming,

- Josh

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by chinadog
Josh,

Since you like Smarthome, check out this:

http://www.smarthome.com/8186.html

I bought one of these for the projector IR (just in case). Well worth the 9.00 bucks and no splicing CAT5 for blasters.

Bud
Nice find, does that run with the Xantec (or whatever its called) IR repeater systems? Cat5 is cheap and that cable is cheap maybe I will just run both.

- Josh

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksharp4
Might want to consider running optical audio (toslink) connection to where your game console might go. This is some what important for an Xbox. I am assuming you have component there as well. Also, I would make sure you have your high speed connection there as well. Personally I am not a big game player any more (no time) but I thought it would be nice to build this in.

Projector--I would consider a dvi cable just in case. I am not big into adapters.

I did not see if you were using a grafik eye but I would run cat 5 to it so you can use your IR extender system.

Are you planning to have curtains in the front? Double check that you have an outlet at the proper height/location. I would also run cat 5 to it as well for the ir extender.

Nice touch on the usb cables. I probably should run one or two : )
I was thinking about that but as I dont have an Xbox (I know I know) and if I do happen to get one I can just add it to the equipment rack as is will be close to the seating, and I will have plenty of space for it.

The only reason for running HDMI cables is that the TV I have now and the projector I am looking at (Sanyo PLV-Z3) both have HDMI inputs, so really there is no need for just DVI, and As I said previously I am mostly wireing for my needs currently as I wont be living here for ever.

as always thanks, and keep em comming,

- Josh

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,585 Posts
UM

That unused PVC pipe? I'm wondering if that was pre-plumbing for a basement bath vent stack. If so, I would give a go at running the antenna wire along side it rather than in it. Gives you the flex of using it for the intended purpose later.

·
Registered
5,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC
UM

That unused PVC pipe? I'm wondering if that was pre-plumbing for a basement bath vent stack. If so, I would give a go at running the antenna wire along side it rather than in it. Gives you the flex of using it for the intended purpose later.
Its tucked away up in a corner up in the floor joist so it possibly could be a vent stack, But I am pretty sure that the rest of the plumbing that is already down there is already piped into the vent stack system.

As I am not a plumber and still new at this, I am going to go up in the attict this weekend to further inspect if it does fully go to the attic and is un-used, but I am pretty sure it is.

- Josh

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.