AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've absorbed alot of information here on various threads re: the Samsung dlp's and finally ordered an hlm617w on 3/16/03 online from PC Connection for $3995 out of New Hampshire ($92 shipping/no tax). I viewed the hlm507w at a BestBuy and after reading all the positive reviews here....I was sold, so I placed the order.

The dlp is now on backorder (awaiting shipments from Samsung; now due in on 4/30/03) so I suspect I would receive "newer internals", but I'm starting to get cold feet just because this isn't a local buy. If I don't like the set or need to return it for any reason, the burden and cost of return is on me....from CA to NH...I can only imagine what a hassle that might be!

So, just looking for any advice on these "long distance" online retailer buys and also if anyone has had any experience with PC Connection. BTW, they no longer even carry the set on their website.

I think now a smarter course would be to cancel the order and buy a HLN5065w from BestBuy or maybe wait until the 56" comes out and try to buy locally. You can't argue with a $3995 61" though!

Also, no extended warranty offered thru PC Connection.com.

I hate to go down in screen size...my viewing distance is 8-12'.....50" ok for that?

Thanks for all the info....any advice appreciated!

Dave

·
Registered
301 Posts
Why would you get an HLM if the HLNs are now being sold? If you have a problem with the unit Samsung will help you under their warranty. The 56" will not likely be appearing until later this year, possibly July. The 61" also has a brighter bulb and the DNIE and Faroudja chip are tweaked specifically for that TV.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I live in Massachusetts and can tell you that PC Connection is solid. It is a fair deal @$3995 but as the prior poster noted the HLN are already out. As far as the distance question I purchased a HLM507W with the new internals from Tweeter and tried it for one week. I had a 13' distance and I can assure you that it was very clean and clear even when I used the digital non-HDTV signal. I returned it today in swap for the 61" simply because I had the space and I felt I could justify the $$$ to go bigger. I was really on the fence about making the move BUT the HLM507W which had the DCDI and a 12/03 date did not have the DNie feature. I felt that given that I expressly asked for the latest version and was assured thats what they had it turned out to be an interim set. It was the little push I needed. I intend to pick up the set on Friday and will be watching the post closely for more feedback on the HLN617.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeffrey,

I ordered the hlm617 on 3/16/03, but since they are on backorder, I could very well receive a hln617.

Dave

·
Registered
26 Posts
Dave, it sounds like you are having a similar problem to the one I had when I first started looking at these sets. I finally ordered an HLM437W from a web site who shall remain nameless and after several weeks of so-called 'order updates', I ended up cancelling my order and going some place else because the HLM437W was never gonna be available. I bought an HLN4365W on-line from onecall.com. My experience with them was very pleasurable. One thing I noticed is that a lot of these websites say they have this stuff in stock but they don't. You should call them and make them tell you whether or not they have the set and how long it will take to get it to you. Good luck with your purchase.

Mark

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Chriscal,

Thanks for info on PC Connection...I've read many, many reviews on them since this post and they have been overwhelmingly positive. So, at this point, I think I'll stick with my order and hopefully receive it in a timely fashion....guess the worst that can happen is they might cancel the order if sets aren't delivered from Samsung....by then maybe I can pick up the hln567w.

I tend to think that since my online retailer is currently waiting on the sets to ship from Samsung, that I have an excellent chance of receiving the latest 61".....the hln617w....that would be great! I'm sure I won't be looking to return it....and if there's anything defective, no worries, it's covered.

Good luck on your set Friday.....let us know how that turns out!

Thanks for all the info guys!

Dave

·
Registered
104 Posts
From what I've read on this forum there is no difference between the HLM617W and the HLN617W....

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well....decided to cancel hlm617w....ETA kept getting delayed. I've ordered hln5065w, sir-ts160 and new bravo d1 dvd (with dvi out) to be received and hopefully thoroughly enjoyed next week.

was also able to purchase 4yr.ext.warr. (incl. bulbs)...all for close to same price as 61"

·
Registered
31 Posts
Dave,

Is Best Buy where you ended up ordering the HLN5065W from? I ask because you mention the extended warranty and I was trying to find out if the Best Buy ext. warranty covers the bulb. I'm considering getting this same set from them in a few weeks.

Good luck with all your new toys! :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Axl,

Yes.....B.B.

Negotiated $3200 for tv....$300 for (4)yr. warranty....I was told it includes the lamp....I read terms & conditions of warranty and it does not exclude the lamp like other ext. warranties I've read. Also, we now know that hln series at B.B. has the newer "internals" even tho they're not branded as such. Good Luck!

Dave

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Resist,

Good "eye" !!! Yes....you're probably right...this was a few months ago, before the "n" series was displayed at my local Best Buy......So, it must've been the hlm5065w...i'm not sure anymore.

Irregardless, I can say that compared to all the CRT RPTV's and even the Philips and Pioneer plasmas, that the Sammy dlp had a much nicer PQ... (disclaimer: in my opinion).

Can't wait to hook up that Bravo D1 via dvi to the Sammy and check out the "all digital" signal.....as well as the OTA HD!!!

Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
856 Posts
Irregardless isn't a word, it's regardless. One of the most misused words in the English language.

Anyway,.....how long ago did you get this price for the HLN5065? I want the 617 but can't find anyone that has it without waiting. I'm almost ready to buy the 5065 from BB, but hate the silver frame of the TV. I could deal with the silver 617 with a black border around the screen though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
What did you say to have them sell you the $4000 TV for

$3200. I am interested in this set also.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally posted by holemania
Axl,

Yes.....B.B.

Negotiated $3200 for tv....$300 for (4)yr. warranty....I was told it includes the lamp....I read terms & conditions of warranty and it does not exclude the lamp like other ext. warranties I've read. Also, we now know that hln series at B.B. has the newer "internals" even tho they're not branded as such. Good Luck!

Dave

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Irregardless isn't a word, it's regardless. One of the most misused words in the English language
I looked it up....you're right....my bad; it's become an accepted "common use" word like "ain't"..............just curious: should you have used a semicolon instead of a comma?.....lol.

This past weekend BB had hln5065w on sale for 3798. I had hlm617w on order for 3995. I presented them with this and a desire to purchase the 5065, ts-160 and ext. warranties and asked for their best deal.....simple as that...cash is persuasive.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
BTW....i'm not fond of the silver bezel either...i'd much rather have a flat black....might look into painting it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Somebody else in a different thread reports getting the

HLN5065W from PC Richard in NJ for $2800.

Too bad they dont have PC Richard here in Portland, OR.

If somebody knows a shop around Portland that will sell

it for $2800, please let me know.

-Cheema

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.