AVS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i have my PS3 hooked up to my new Onkyo SR606 with HDMI and then HDMI out to the TV so i get Both video and Audio with HDMI, in the PS3's settings i did the little audio settings setup i told the PS3 im using HDMI for sound and then it checked automaticlly what formats it can accept and that was it. however when i watch a movie or play any game that is supposed to be DOLBY D EX or atleast DOLBY D, it doesnt give me that to choose,

meaning if i play a game thats supposed to have DOLBY D EX(i know this because my ONkyo S790 i had Dolby d ex in thee particular games and movies) the only things that i can choose is the Theatrical dimensional or whatever its called, TV LOGIC, ALL CHANNEL and Mono if i rememebr correct, why doesnt it let me choose DOLBY D EX? on the remote im pressing the MOVIE/TV button to scroll between listening modes, i tried the game button aswell and the music button but it doesnt let me get DOLBY D EX, am i doing something wrong?

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I think i found an answer by searching through a few pages on google, but i didnt try it yet, i will in a few minutes. the PS3 wont send DOLBY D/EX when the PS3 is set to output PCM Linear, only when its set to BITSTREAM. i thought PCM Linear was the right setting to get the best surround?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/14228375

i thought PCM Linear was the right setting to get the best surround?

PCM is the only setting on the PS3 that enables you to experience DTS-MA or Dolby True HD because the PS3 will not bitstream these codecs. This only works with your audio coming through HDMI, optical will not pass the required bandwidth.

If you are not playing the lossless codecs then you can select bitstream or PCM. Select bitstream if you want your 606 to process the signal, select PCM if you want the PS3 to process the signal.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So if its set to pcm the only listening modes i can have are the theatrical dimensional/ ALL CHANNEL ST/ Mono and TV LOGIC? none like DOLBY D EX/ DTS? to get DOLBY TRUE i undertsand it needs to be set to PCM but right now im not watching any DOLBY TRUE movies so its not being used and i would like to get DOLBY D EX since it that listening mode gives the best surrund for games and movies, right?

oh and i have 1 problem, i cant find the Setting for speaker size(Large/Small) in the reciever , i checked the manual aswell

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok i just tried setting it on Bitstream but it still doesnt let me choose dolby or any dts listening modes when playing a game or something when im 100% sure it has dolby. so i have set to back to PCM Linear since thats better, Is this a known problem that HDMI cant out DOLBY D on the PS3 or am i doing something wrong? do i have to use Optical cable from the PS3 to the reciever to get DOLBY D EX?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Set the PS3 to PCM

Let the PS3 do the decoding

Set it

&

Forget it

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but what should the Listening mode on the reciever be set to? i really dont understand , why isnt DOLBY D EX available?

there are 3 buttons(3 listening mode CATEGORYS) on the reciever aswell on the remote saying MOVIE/MUSIC/GAME, when i press movie for example it gives me the modes for movie watching i guess that is preset by Onkyo, but NONE are DOLBY or DTS, on my XBOX 360 and cable TV which are hooked up with optical for sound, they have DOLBY D/EX DTS and what not, just the ps3 which is hooked up with HDMI both for video and audio doesnt let me choose any DOLBY lisrtening modes in either of the listening modes MOVIE/MUSIC/GAME. all it lets me choose is Theatrical Dimensional/ ALL CHANNEL STE/MONO and like 2 more not needed listening modes, why doesnt it let me choose DOLBY? do i have to connect the ps3 to the reciever with Optical in order to get DOLBY D/EX? HDMI cant get DOLBY D EX?

·
Registered
4,671 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamonsasa /forum/post/14230210

but what should the Listening mode on the reciever be set to?

PCM on the receiver..

The PS3 is doing the decoding..

Hit select on the PS3 remote to dispay the DD, DTS, Dolby True HD, DTS-MA etc.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can you please tell me how to set PCM on the reciever? and on the PS3 when the PS3 is on and im in a game and i preset SELECT, nothing happens or shows up

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info, so i pressed Digital Input button on the reciever and it shows HDMI:AUTO(it should be set to auto right?) and i just relized that on the reciever there is small text saying in the following order: PCM MULTICH HDMI and it also says Audyssey in the right end aswell. so i am recieving PCM from the PS3 as i should? so basically i have the following available listening modes: "Theater dimensional", "Full Mono", "All Channel STE" and "MULTICH" when FULL MONO or Theater dimensional is selected , near the HDMI text on the reciever itself that i mentioned above it there is 1 more added text "DSP" "PCM MULTICH HDMI DSP What is DSP?

and basically what would be the best listening mode to set it to? Multich? All Channel Stereo? Full Mono i guess wont be a good choice since its mono right? and Im not sure about THeater Dimensional

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Seems to me like you're paniced by not getting a text display you expect. How's it sound at various settings? You've got a PS3 and a GREAT receiver/amp. Just play around with it for awhile to see what works well for your EARS. You'll get it figured out so calm down and enjoy it while you do it!

I've got a new HT setup too I'm trying to technically decipher so I feel for where you're coming from.

·
Registered
4,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks man, im not paniced anymore tho, im cool
i just wanted to make sure that i understood right, right now i have it set to MULTICH on the reciever as my listening mode for the PS3 , there are only 2 surround ones when using PCM as far as im concerned, These are MULTICH and Theather Dimensional, the other 2 are ALL CHANNEL STEREO and Full MONO. i don think these 2 are any good, on the XBOX 360 i have it set to DOLBY D EX, thats optimal on the 360 right? for most things atleast?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Leave the PS3 on auto. Select only works while watching a DVD or BluRay to show you in the upper right what the audio and video codecs being decoded are. All games, iirc, only utilize Dolby Digital for their sound since they're upsampled soundbytes for the most part and you'd be hard pressed to notice any audio improvement in a game when you're focusing on other things.

Your PS3 will just send LPCM and you'll see 7 channels in on your receiver unless you've un-ticked some options in the PS3 audio settings. It will always send LPCM unless you want to bitstream so you can see the Dolby Digital light up, and then you'll never get any of the HD audio available on BluRays.

Your Xbox 360 only has Stereo and Dolby Digital 5.1, you should see 'Dolby Digital' light up on the 606. I don't know what Dolby D EX is, sounds like you're just confused reading the display and are cludging Dolby and DTS names together. If you have a 7.1 speaker set up then you can set the receiver to 'Dolby PLX II' to matrix a 5.1 into a 7.1 sound, otherwise it won't be an option on the receiver for you. Leave it displaying Dolby Digital. If you play an Mp3 or stereo video file, the Xbox will correctly send only the L and R channels to the receiver so you can apply 'Dolby PLX' to it to matrix it out from a 2.0 source to a 5.1 source.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts