AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a Denon 3805 and recently made a bunch of changes to my AV system. I added an HD DVR box, a BD player, and an LCD set. The only problem is now I'm only getting either Neo 6 or Dolby Pro Logic output. I'm using coax digital audio cable out from the BD player and optical digital audio cable out from the DVR player. I'd like to autoswitch into DTS 5.1 but it won't do it.

I realize this is may be "operator error" on my part, but the Denon manual, remote and receiver controls are not intuitive or well written.

I'm fine with the sound quality and the features. And yes, I have the owners manual and can't sort it out.

Thanks for any input. vancwa

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
If your getting sound, then your source(s) is not putting out DD 5.1 or DTS.

The only way to get DD 5.1 or DTS is to have the source produce it. The decoder then has to engage to decode and produce sound.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
Make sure the BD player and HD DVR are bitstreaming digital audio out thru optical or coaxial. Then the receiver would decode the signal as DD or DTS when sent.

Also make sure on the BD movie you select a DD or DTS audio option. Doesn't always default that way.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for responding. I am getting 5 speaker sound, but it isn't DTS 5.1. It sounds like Pro Logic to me. The receiver indicates Neo6. I don't hear much of anything coming out of the surrounds. Stereo 5.1 works, but is kind of bogus for watching films with.

Prior to my recent AV reconfig, almost all the DVD films I used to watch were decoded in DTS 5.1 (other than really old mono or 2 channel stuff). Now, EVERY movie is coming in as Neo 6 or Pro Logic even on new BD films.

Something is wrong. Either:

1. I have the these devices aren't set to provide the right DTS bitstream

2. The receiver inputs are set up incorrectly to not decode the signals

3. Something is amiss in the Denon itself

My guess is number 2. BTW - I think Denon needs to hire a few English speaking technical writers. Yamaha flames Denon in documentation quality. I got nothing against the hardware but..

vancwa

·
Registered
954 Posts
You're not listening to what JOHnDENVER said. The problem is with your new sources, not your receiver. I don't know why, but almost all new digital components automatically default to output PCM. You need to access the devices' menus, and make sure that, in the audio setup, that they are outputting the correct signal. As of now, they're not.

·
Registered
28,909 Posts
Its not the receiver, its his BD player and HD DVR are not set properly. He's not listening to us!

As far as autoswitching to DTS, your HD DVR will never do that because only dolby digital is broadcast, not DTS.

If the BD player has a DTS movie and he selects it, he will get DTS sound...provided he sets up his player correctly!!!! Which is obviously has not done yet.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts