Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[Update -- This is now working in HOLO3D Version 2.4c and later]

Hi,

Can anyone help me get ffdshow work with HOLO3DGRAPH: I am the writer of the HOLO3D user interface software for the HOLO3DGRAPH. (Please note: Immersive Inc. is a sponsor of AVSFORUM).

I am experimenting in trying to get HOLO3DGRAPH working with ffdshow (and possibly other user-created filtergraphs, via a builtin filter editor).

However, I am getting an upsidedown image and the image is distorted with a lot of green noise. It's as if ffdshow is using the wrong color encoding (I tried to fiddle in ffdshow, to no effect). The format is 720x480 progressive YUY2 at 59.94 fps.

HOLO3DGRAPH users who are experienced with DirectShow / GraphEdit, can create an ffdshow graph with the HOLO3D by connecting these pins:

Immersive HOLO3D Crossbar (Found in WDM Streaming Crossbar Devices)

-> Immersive HOLO3D Video Capture (Found in WDM Streaming Capture Devices)

-> -> ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder (Found in DirectShow filters)

-> -> -> Video Renderer (Found in DirectShow filters)

Alternatively, if you have DirectX9, you can use "Video Mixing Renderer 9" instead of "Video Renderer" (VMR7) as the last one. A screenshot is attached below.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is a reduced size screenshot of the GraphEdit graph and the resulting strange looking image (CNN television channel). See how ugly it is and how it is upsidedown:

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
And here are the changes to the ffdshow properties that are required: (I tried many combinations, to no effect. I tried enabling all checkboxes too. But most importantly, we are dealing with an uncompressed raw YUY2 stream from HOLO3D, and those are the two checkboxes to be enabled.)

http://www.marky.com/misc/screenshot...properties.gif

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the moment, no ffdshow filters are enabled. But they all work when I enable them (but they don't remove the noise). Even the noise filter doesn't even remove the green noise (so it appears that ffdshow is not seeing the green noise) but the image edges does sharpen with the sharpen filter enabled. And I haven't even enabled the "Flip" checkbox which is unchecked -- it appears inverted by default in ffdshow -- all checkboxes are disabled except for OSD's, and the "Raw" and "YUY2" checkboxes.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can successfully get GraphEdit to render ffdshow with HOLO3DGRAPH successfully. (Note: GraphEdit can be downloaded from the Internet, or from Microsoft. It's also a part of the DirectX SDK too.)

·
Registered
686 Posts
Mark,

about the green noise: it's funny but I have a similar effect with Sonic if I have 'HardcodeForPAL'=1 in the registry (with NTSC titles, of course). I don't know if there's something similar in the Holo... Have you tried connecting to a different VMR input pin other than 0? some graphs seem to be fussy about this...

I'm sorry I can't help you any more, but you've obviously covered the basics, with the flipvideo checkbox, etc. If you send me a Holo3D for testing here in Portugal I'd be more than happy to try graphedit until exhaustion :)

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Mark, look on the info tab, it says that the codec is RGB6. Not sure if thats a clue, I am also seeing the green snow.

The frame rate also seems to say 50. It is possible the H3D is mis-flagging the data as PAL?????

Vern

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Sometimes it says RGB16, and sometimes something else. The funny thing is that I only have YUY2 checked, so it's not even supposed to accept the other format -- Sometimes it even says YUY2 but either way, the green junk is identical.

On my end, I don't see the framerate saying 50. I checked and properties of the Immersive HOLO3D Video Capture properties (and the output pin properties) agree with 720x480, NTSC, 59.94 Hz. It works fine when I directly connect to the "Video Mixing Renderer 9" or "Video Renderer" (VMR7).

In any case, it's a barrier that will have to be overcome sometime -- hopefully ffdshow can be made to support the HOLO3D DirectShow stream eventually -- or that a solution is found.

[Update: To be sure that it wasn't a problem with my system, I have successfully gotten ffdshow to work with Zoom DVD + Sonic DVD Decoder Pack, using the AllowAllRenderers registry hack.)

·
Registered
1,687 Posts
Mark

Couple of points:

1) What version of ffdshow are you using? Are you using code out of CVS or one of the compiled versions.

2) Have you tried the "Flip Video" setting under "Miscellaneous" to at least get the picture the right way up?

3) I think the problem may be an issue with the way the various bits negotiate the media type. IIRC the overlay mixer always asks for the RGB depth corresponding to the current display mode and then if it can get the overlay it will ask for YUY2. To allow for this most YUY2 supporting filters will say they support RGB modes (even if they don't) expecting to be asked for YUY2 modes later. What may be happening is that ffdshow isn't passing the media format changes down from the renderer down to the source filter properly and so letting the originally negotiated RGB connection carry on but somehow assume that it is YUY2.

I've still not tested this with my holo3d yet, I'm in the middle of a painful upgrade....

John

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I know this is kinda OT but I think it would be nice to make 480p files like this:

First of all, rip the video from a DVD. We only need the main movie so we may strip the audio, menus, and extras. If the overlay settings are not adjusted properly, make sure the black level is optimal. (i.e. IRE 0)

After the calibration is done, we need to change the registry settings of Sonic Cinemaster® DS Video Decoder. Deinterlacing should be turned off so we need to enable Force Weave.

Fire up GraphEdit (1st copy) and insert the filters like this:
File Source (Async.) Just choose the video file ripped from the DVD
» Sonic Cinemaster® DS Video Decoder Maybe we need MPEG-2 Splitter?
» » ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder Uncheck deinterlacing and apply any filters you like
» » » Overlay Mixer
» » » » Video Renderer This one has NO VMR support

Connect the component output of ATi HDTV Adapter to the component input of H3D. Now run another GraphEdit (2nd copy) again. Connect the output pin of H3D DirectShow filter to the input pin of any file writers.

This part can be tricky when we are using the same HTPC. Hit the Play button of the GraphEdit (1st copy) and the Play button of GraphEdit (2nd copy) simultaneously. Then 1st copy will play the ripped MPEG-2 video (480i) and 2nd copy will record the 480p output of H3D.

The movie runtime of the original file and the recorded file should be exactly the same. If not, we have to edit it because we will need to sync video and audio perfectly.

Rip an audio track from the DVD. Mux the audio and the recorded 480p video. They may not sync properly so it can be quite difficult to fix the problems.

We may scale it to any resolutions and use any media to store it. For instance, convert it to Transport Stream and transfer the TS to D-VHS recorders.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Sorry Mark - can't help with the ffdshow (I tried ffdshow wayy back when H3D was out and I got the green snow and if I fiddle with ffdshow setting, my PC locked out).

But, for [email protected]:

I did something similar, but the source was divx file, output via S-Video into H3D and instead of recording, I display it out to a second screen (dual-monitor setup).

The problem with this method is that you're dealing with another step of D->A and A->D conversion. Tom (in his forum) mentioned that it MIGHT be possible to have H3D receive DVI input - and this might be the holy grail to get.

Ideally, would be nice to have an H3D input filter, so the output of Sonic DVD player can just be input into the H3D for 480p DCDi processing :).

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
JohnAd,

1) Latest compiled version of ffdshow (2002/11/13)

2) Yes, enabling "Flip Video" makes the video look correct. But it turns the ffdshow OSD upsidedown.

3) Hmm... Well, just so you know -- The Overlay Mixer doesn't work. That's why I tested using VMR only (both VMR7 and VMR9 has the same result. And VMR9 doesn't even use the video overlay electronics on the graphics board.)

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Someone in the private HOLO3D forum just recently told me they got ffdshow working with HOLO3D. I will investigate this, it may be a newer ffdshow that now works in this case....

·
Registered
9,884 Posts
Mark -

You might also investigate if it is the old MsYUV.dll filter bug. I know Tom Strade is aware of a fix for it.

- Tom

edit: Just in case, there is also a discussion and fix for that in this Doom9 thread

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
Also, there is a DX-9 based build of ffdshow out: ffdshow-20030103.exe.

Suposedly DX-9 fixed a number of DS bugs.

Vern

·
Registered
271 Posts
Mark,

Got FFdshow working.

This order:

H3D crossbar

H3d Capture

AVI decompressor

FFDshow

AVI Decompressor (Very important, only 1 avi decomp gives only half screen)

colorspace converter (this fixes the green picture)

VMR9

It uses alot of CPU power and not the smoothest picture in the world.

Also, if you got my PM about my audio/video sync problems with the Revo in CSII mode, this FFDshow setup can fix it by setting a delay in the "misc" section.

Hope this helps.

:)

btw I used the ffdshow mentioned by Vern Dias above.

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi,

With your suggested graph, it looks like it would be doing two colorspace conversions (if I understand right). That would be a waste --

Has anybody gotten ffdshow working with HOLO3D without the need for AVI Decompressor?

·
Registered
271 Posts
Hi Mark, the AVI decompressors were there only to make the image full screen.

I tried it without the decompressors but the pins wouldn't connect.

With only 1 decompressor the image was only half screen (upper or lower).

I agree it seems like a waste but that was the only way to get full screen and proper color that I could find.

I am a beginner at graphedit so take it for what it's worth.

I believe I tried just the color scape converter but that either did nothing by it self.

I hope you get this working soon as I really need the delay function in ffdshow to sync my audio.

:)

·
Premium Member
4,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hi,

The best working graph I have found so far, is:

Immersive HOLO3D Crossbar (Found in WDM Streaming Crossbar Devices)

-> Immersive HOLO3D Video Capture (Found in WDM Streaming Capture Devices)

-> -> AVI Video Decompressor 0001 (Found in DirectShow filters)

-> -> -> ffdshow MPEG-4 Video Decoder (Found in DirectShow filters)

-> -> -> -> Video Renderer (Found in DirectShow filters)

It works if I am careful and keep the Overlay Mixer checkbox in ffdshow empty, then it ends up working in proper color without green noise. But the video is stuttery and consumes too much CPU. However, I need to get it working without AVI Video Decompressor.

Once someone gets ffdshow working with the HOLO3DGRAPH, without using that AVI Video Decompressor filter, I will be able to easily add ffdshow to the HOLO3D.exe application!

It may be a ffdshow bug; or a bug specific to a ffdshow version. Anyway, send me a private message and let me know!

I don't need GraphEdit to be working full screen; I can make full screen work separately. What I really need is a proper-color image working without using the AVI Video Compressor and without using the colorspace converter!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.