AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best player/codecs to use with vista media center to be able to use hardware acceleration? Right now I am using FFDshow and I don't believe it is able to use HA. I'm looking to be able to use it with .MKV files that I ripped and bluray/HDDVD player.

What is everyone else using?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
You'll have to give us more specifics to get any help as the the answer heavily depends on what hardware you have.

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is the hardware. It plays fine but CPU usage is high.

E2140 @ 3.0

8500GT

GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L Rev. 2.0 LGA775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard Retail

OCZ Platinum Revision 2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - Retail

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Okay the simple answer -

You need a chipset or a GPU that supports off-loading of content off the CPU.

I'm not all that familiar Intel chipsets for forgive me....

If your a Intel guy, I suppose you would want a G35 or G45 board or any of the last two generation of Nvidia based boards.

If your an AMD guy, you'll want either a 780G/V or 790GX motherboard.

If you don't want to change your motherboard and have a AGP slot, your basically left with few options. You could get a AGP version of the ATI 2600XT or HD3850, both support HWA of DXVA. That's what you need to off-load content off the CPU.

If you have a PCI-e slot, any 9000 series Nvidia or 4xxx ATI card will support DXVA

With a dual core CPU its not hard to run HD off just the CPU. @1080i, it ran 30-40% Usage (AMD 64x2 5000+ Black Edition OC'[email protected] 2.91Ghz). With a HD4670 its around 10-12% SD content was 12-14%, with the video card its dropped below 10% its not even worth mentioning...

You'll need hardware acceleration mainly for Blu Ray content, but even the 780G/V chipset supports that without issue or the cost of a video card.

Did that answer it?

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie /forum/post/14759493

Okay the simple answer -

You need a chipset or a GPU that supports off-loading of content off the CPU.

I'm not all that familiar Intel chipsets for forgive me....

If your a Intel guy, I suppose you would want a G35 or G45 board or any of the last two generation of Nvidia based boards.

If your an AMD guy, you'll want either a 780G/V or 790GX motherboard.

If you don't want to change your motherboard and have a AGP slot, your basically left with few options. You could get a AGP version of the ATI 2600XT or HD3850, both support HWA of DXVA. That's what you need to off-load content off the CPU.

If you have a PCI-e slot, any 9000 series Nvidia or 4xxx ATI card will support DXVA

With a dual core CPU its not hard to run HD off just the CPU. @1080i, it ran 30-40% Usage (AMD 64x2 5000+ Black Edition OC'[email protected] 2.91Ghz). With a HD4670 its around 10-12% SD content was 12-14%, with the video card its dropped below 10% its not even worth mentioning...

You'll need hardware acceleration mainly for Blu Ray content, but even the 780G/V chipset supports that without issue or the cost of a video card.

Did that answer it?

As I listed above I have a E2140 overclocked to 3.0 and a 8500GT. I believe my hardware is fine for offloading. I need to know what software will work in VMC that supports HA. As I list I can play back any file fine right now but CPU usage is sometimes up to 90%. I would like to get this down if possible but I want to use VMC. I am currently using FFDshow I don't think supports HA.

·
Registered
892 Posts
For HA on AVC and VC-1 files you can use the MPC-HC codecs (free), or any other dxva compliant codec from Arcsoft TMT or PowerDVD.

VMC will simply use the codec with highest priority.

CFC

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC /forum/post/14762026

For HA on AVC and VC-1 files you can use the MPC-HC codecs (free), or any other dxva compliant codec from Arcsoft TMT or PowerDVD.

CFC

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to set the priority for the codecs?

·
Registered
892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindii /forum/post/14762337

Thanks for the reply. Can you tell me how to set the priority for the codecs?

The easiest way is using software like radlight's filter manager: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RadLight_Filter_Manager

or DirectShow Filter Manager: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Direc...Filter_Manager

Zoomplayer also has a filter manager built-in.

You need to turn UAC off, or run as administrator when using them. You can find help for using these tools online.

CFC

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC /forum/post/14762026

CFC

I searched around and found that there are alot of codecs for MPC-HC. Do you know exactly which one I need to use? I don't need to use the whole player do I?

This is what I was looking at. They have the player and a page of filters. Which one do I need?

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=170561

·
Registered
24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC /forum/post/14762609

The easiest way is using software like radlight's filter manager: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/RadLight_Filter_Manager

or DirectShow Filter Manager: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Direc...Filter_Manager

You need to turn UAC off, or run as administrator when using them. You can find help for using these tools online.

CFC

So you just have to bump the merit of e.g. the mpc-hc decoder to prefered +256 for it to be used in VMC?

btw, what is UAC?

·
Registered
892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vindii /forum/post/14767913

I searched around and found that there are alot of codecs for MPC-HC. Do you know exactly which one I need to use? I don't need to use the whole player do I?

This is what I was looking at. They have the player and a page of filters. Which one do I need?

http://sourceforge.net/project/showf...roup_id=170561

You don't need to use the whole player, in fact using the player will not install the filters at all. MPC uses its filters built-in (though it can use external filters as well). You'll need to download and install the standalone filter.

MPCVideoDec is what you want for AVC and VC-1 files.

CFC

·
Registered
892 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by henk99 /forum/post/14768072

So you just have to bump the merit of e.g. the mpc-hc decoder to prefered +256 for it to be used in VMC?

btw, what is UAC?

The merit for the filter just needs to be the highest of all the others, not necessarily +256. This is assuming of course that you have multiple filters for a given codec on your system. If not, by default the mpc decoder would be preferred.

UAC is "User Account Control" in Vista: http://www.tweak-uac.com/what-is-uac/

CFC

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC /forum/post/14768265

You don't need to use the whole player, in fact using the player will not install the filters at all. MPC uses its filters built-in (though it can use external filters as well). You'll need to download and install the standalone filter.

CFC

Perfect. I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
749 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC /forum/post/14762609

CFC

I'm assuming that this only works for 32 bit filters. Is there also a way to manage 64 bit filters?

·
Banned
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFC /forum/post/14768265

CFC

I have this working for my VC-1 files but it wont work for .H264 files. I am testing on a transformers HD-DVD rip I made. When IO play the file it uses FFDshow as the codec. If I disable .H264 in FFD show menu it will pick up the MPC codec and the file plays but without the video. The screen is just black. Is this the same codec for .H264 also?

1 - 20 of 75 Posts