AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, i want to get HDTV at my office. For demonstration purposes, i need the cleanest signal possible. SO here are my questions... ANy help id mucho appreciated.

1. Is Local Off the air stuff going to be better/worse/same as DirecTV satelite?

2. If i need to go OTA, then what do i need in the way of antennas? Any model #'s would be appreciated.

3. What suggestions on a receiver can you make? I prefer to have the option of not scaling the signal. I want ABC in 720P and CBS in 1080i.

We do not have anything here other than a basic DirecTV system.

Any help is great.

Thanks

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,209 Posts
I believe you need to offer more information about your location in Orange County. For example, what city, do you have clear line of sight to Mt. Wilson, etc.

I live in the City of Orange, do not have direct line of sight to Mt. Wilson (i.e., have multipath issues) and am able to get all OTA channels reliably using a CM 4248 and amplifier.

I think you're going to want the Panasonic HDTV STB (TUHSD20 if I remember the model correctly) since it has a mode where you can pass through 720p as 720p, 1080i as 1080i, etc. Most of the others convert 720p to 1080i.

·
Registered
120 Posts
For demonstartion of what? DVD's, self produced content, OTA content? Do you really want to show "high def" Young and the restless or the myriad of "talk shows" show during normal working hours? Just curious.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am right by the Orange Crush. I want anything i can get. Demonstrations of signal handling equipment. I work for Extron.

·
Registered
Epson 5040UB projector, Denon 6300, 7.1.4 setup, M&K THX speakers and SVS subwoofer
3,209 Posts
At the crush you probably have clear line of sight (as far as mountains go) but I'm not sure about buildings blocking your line of sight.

·
Registered
420 Posts

1. Is Local Off the air stuff going to be better/worse/same as DirecTV satelite?

Not sure what you mean by better/worse/same. If by that you mean image quality then they're equivalent (the real differentiator is video vs. film, with video--especially PBS video--easily being the clear winner). If you're referring to reception, you can always lock in on DirecTV if you can point the elliptical dish properly. OTA, on the other hand, is a crap shoot.

2. If i need to go OTA, then what do i need in the way of antennas? Any model #'s would be appreciated.

Wayne recommended a good antenna. Go to starkelectronic.com for the best prices/selection. Stay away from Radio Shack stuff.

3. What suggestions on a receiver can you make? I prefer to have the option of not scaling the signal. I want ABC in 720P and CBS in 1080i.

Most second-generation STB's can handle either mode.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I live in Fountain Valley (near Huntington Beach). I get all the HD channels with a Radio Shack 102 inch UHF rig and their variable-gain amp. Yes I've read a hundred posts telling me this is crap gear, but it was cheap and it works.

By the way, I did not select this rig, it was installed by Ken Crane's Television installer, and it works great.

Rather than buy into some snobby "if it's made by RS it's crap" opinion, then tell you to take a chance on some internet vendor, try the RatShack if there is one close by. If the rig does not work, it's easy enought to return quickly. Then take your chances with the internet vendor.

Just my opinion,

Don

·
Registered
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dtycholis:
Rather than buy into some snobby "if it's made by RS it's crap" opinion, then tell you to take a chance on some internet vendor, try the RatShack if there is one close by. If the rig does not work, it's easy enought to return quickly. Then take your chances with the internet vendor.

Don
Nothing snobby about the comment. I'm familiar with the area, having helped one of the forum members with antenna setup. To be fair, I do agree with your recommendation of buy-and-return from RS. But, I've helped many others in dark territory areas in Orange and San Bernardino counties. Each time we would start out with the most expensive RS UHF antennas. Not once were they up to snuff; however, a $15 Hovermann outperformed all of them. So, just cut out the middleman!

BTW, I'm betting you could have avoided that 102" monster for something less than half the size from Winegard or ChannelMaster and gotten better performance. That's been my experience each time I've done this.

[This message has been edited by RSongco (edited 08-09-2001).]

·
Registered
143 Posts
You could be right, sounds like you have experience.

By the way I could not locate Hovermann products on the net. Sounds intriguing, can you point me at the specs?

Also, to be mildly defensive of my comments:

I did review the product specs for rigs comparable to the RS-102" from ChannelMaster and they looked the same (on paper at least). Agree that specs can be misleading, granted.

Re: the Weingard, I read that the 102" RS UHF rig I have was made by them.

Finally, I agree that it's best to cut out the middleman when the markup is excessive, and put pressure to reduce the profit margins.

On the other hand, I'm not looking forward to the day when we smart shoppers have put the electronics retailer out of business and every transaction is with a web page and there's no phone number to call with a complaint, just an unresponsive email account. Put another way, retailers provide a service that some people, like myself, are willing to pay for (e.g., saving time and hassle :> )

Peace,

Don

·
Registered
31 Posts
I live in Camarillo, Ca. 45 minutes west from LA on the 101 fwy, Here I am using the CM4248 with the CM7775 preamp and I am getting upper 80`s mid 90`s of signal strenght using the Sony HD100 w/ Sony 36XBR400, in my opinion the perfect combo to get over the air HD and the perfect duo if you prefer direct view HDTV.

Good Luck

Ruben

·
Registered
420 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dtycholis:
You could be right, sounds like you have experience.

By the way I could not locate Hovermann products on the net. Sounds intriguing, can you point me at the specs?

Also, to be mildly defensive of my comments:

I did review the product specs for rigs comparable to the RS-102" from ChannelMaster and they looked the same (on paper at least). Agree that specs can be misleading, granted.

Re: the Weingard, I read that the 102" RS UHF rig I have was made by them.

Finally, I agree that it's best to cut out the middleman when the markup is excessive, and put pressure to reduce the profit margins.

On the other hand, I'm not looking forward to the day when we smart shoppers have put the electronics retailer out of business and every transaction is with a web page and there's no phone number to call with a complaint, just an unresponsive email account. Put another way, retailers provide a service that some people, like myself, are willing to pay for (e.g., saving time and hassle :> )

Peace,

Don
No arguments here. Maybe I should start billing for my services!

Others have asked me about the Hovermann. It was pointed out to me by Patrick Hickey, one of the forum members and a self-described antenna graybeard. I think I bought the last one at starkelectronic because they pulled the page shortly afterwards. It's a small (20"), flimsy-looking UHF antenna that has a connected-x'es design. Didn't think much of it when I got it, but when I switched my large Winegard bowtie with it I got the same high (80's and 90's) signal strengths from all 9 digital stations 35 miles away on Mt. Wilson. I donated it to my neighbor who just got his Mits 55905, and it is still sucking in VHF signals like a black hole.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.