AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fairly knowledgeable in this field, but not exactly sure what's available.

I have a comcast HD 5100 Box, and sony SAT-HD100, is there any product out there that has a component video input on it for the computer to caputre the feed???

thanks

van

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Van,

You cannot record component. Also there is no way to record cable HD right now. You just need a HDTV tuner card and then either record to hard drive or DVHS tape. Cheap($200-$300) and works great. I use the MYHD card to record OTA HD and couldn't be happier with it.

Mike

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have the new rca dlp50 rear proj. i believe the pvr10 hdr available, connects by firewire to the tv and takes digital hd signal to pvr and then back to tv to time slip or record.

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
The bandwidth of HD is just too much for a PCI capture card. There are no AGP capture cards since most people use their AGP slot for a video card. :)

PCI Express should have enough bandwidth. Maybe when it becomes the standard you will see some component/RGB/DVI capture cards.

Today due to bandwidth limitation the only good solution is to capture the original MPEG2 compressed signal. There are two ways to do this on a PC:

1) OTA from a tuner card

2) DVHS deck connected via firewire. WindowsXP is required as it is the only OS to have a DVHS driver. No other MPEG2 firewire drivers are available at this time on a PC. (Macs are different)

The advantage of capturing the original MPEG2 is of course the fact that you do not loose any quality due to decompression/re-compression as well as D/A -> A/D for analog capture.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Lets cut directlly to the chase here.

YOU NEED A STB with FIREWIRE. Its the only way to ARKIVE to D-VHS today and Blu-Ray HD-DVD tomarrow.

OK let me say it one more time, YOU NEED A STB WITH FIREWIRE INTERFACE TO ARKIVE HD. Did you get the message that time?

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
You also need a STB with a Firewire Interface to ARCHIVE your HD..... ;)

:D

·
Registered
20,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leszek1
PCI Express should have enough bandwidth. Maybe when it becomes the standard you will see some component/RGB/DVI capture cards.
Huh? A faster bus isn't going to help. The datarate of the video, once it's been compressed, is a cakewalk--it flows quite conveniently from the existing ATSC capture cards over the current PCI bus. You ain't gonna compress a raw HD-resolution bit-raster into MPEG in realtime using any PC CPU available today, so it doesn't matter whether you could get such a thing into memory or not. Even SD analog video capture cards do MPEG encoding on the card.

I'm fairly certain that cards could be made to take DVI or analog component or RGB HD video, digitize it and deliver it as an MPEG encoded stream to a PC; the question is, how much would it cost, particularly given the extremely limited market for it?

Another factor to consider is the fact that no one will be licensed to use DVI/HDCP in such a product, so your DVI sources would be limited.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by michaeltscott
Huh? A faster bus isn't going to help.
Actually, if the bus is fast enough, and the drives are fast (and large) enough, you could do the compression offline from the capture. Not saying we are anywhere close yet, but theoretically.

Markd

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Glimmie,

Yes, a 64-bit PCI is fast enough. However I don't know of any consumer PCs that come with 64-bit PCI. You would have to buy a specialized PC for that card.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by leszek1
Glimmie,

Yes, a 64-bit PCI is fast enough. However I don't know of any consumer PCs that come with 64-bit PCI. You would have to buy a specialized PC for that card.
Dell Optiplex 260 and up has 64-bit PCI starts under $1000.00

·
Registered
66 Posts
My 2 years old gateway server has 2 of 64 PCI, which only cost me $499 2 years ago. I'm sure you can find it whole lot cheaper those days.

ddp

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
My Dell main workstations is a dual 1.7Ghz P-4 which has both a 64bit/66Mhz and a 32bit/33Mhz PCI bus. I have the dual channel SCSI card in the 64bit bus, and put the other cards on the 32 bit one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.