AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I have had a few records laying around for a long time but I have not listened to them since I moved out of my parents years ago.


Since I have been slowly putting together a nice system making sure to buy at least upper mid line equipment,


I do have a cheap old Technic's from my girlfriends fathers old system, but I really don't want to use that. So I figured I should find out what a good table is these days.


I want something I can buy that is a good base with a cartridge for around $300-$500, that I could put a much better cartridge in later when I have the money.


Is this possible, or would I be much better of saving some money and just spending more up front?


I'm just another guy getting a little sick of the sharpness of some cd's, and I really do love the natural sound of vinyl.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts
For $500 you can get a very nice used TT that will blow away anything you can get new at the same price. I was in the same boat as you a while back and was about to spend $500 on a brand new Rega P1 but found a local sale on craigslist and got myself a Planar 2 with RB250 arm for $250.


Here are some good buys from audiogon:

http://buy.audiogon.com/cgia/cls.pl?anlgtabl&1206052279


That is by far the best buy at $350 as you get an RB300 arm as well. Just spend another $100 on a nice Grado cartridge (Grade Blue) and you got yourself a TT that can't be touched unless you spend $1000 for a new one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,156 Posts
What I would do in your shoes is buy a Technics SL-1200 direct-drive table, with whatever cartridge you can afford. In your price range, there are a lot of entry-level belt-drives around, but they don't match the Technics, IMO. (I'm not an absolutist on the belt-vs-DD question, by the way. There are belt-drive units that are more than a match for the Technics, but they cost a lot more.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
667 Posts
gus and mcnarus both make valid points, if you do have intrest in going the Technics route go over and check out the "Vinyl Circle" @ Audiocircle.com. There is plenty of chatter from various '1200' aficionandos !!


With respect to my two cents, I say save your pennies for a bit more time, for as good a deal as you might get into at the price points gus mentions, a few extra $$$ may very well keep you happier longer with your purchase and feel as if you need not upgrade so soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I'll keep an eye out, read some more and keep saving while I'm at it....


High end audio is expensive for a 24yr old kid...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,156 Posts
Well, just to confuse you a bit, I'll argue that you shouldn't wait too long. Yeah, in a year or two you'll be able to buy a better table. But you can buy a decent table now, and getting to hear your records now will give you more pleasure than waiting to hear them sound slightly better.


Also, high-end audio is expensive. But good-quality audio doesn't have to be.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,247 Posts
Which Technics does your g/f's father have?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,803 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko084 /forum/post/12908063


Like the title says, I have had a few records laying around for a long time but I have not listened to them since I moved out of my parents years ago.


Since I have been slowly putting together a nice system making sure to buy at least upper mid line equipment,


I do have a cheap old Technic's from my girlfriends fathers old system, but I really don't want to use that. So I figured I should find out what a good table is these days.


I want something I can buy that is a good base with a cartridge for around $300-$500, that I could put a much better cartridge in later when I have the money.


Is this possible, or would I be much better of saving some money and just spending more up front?


I'm just another guy getting a little sick of the sharpness of some cd's, and I really do love the natural sound of vinyl.


Thanks

Rega P2.


http://www.musicdirect.com/product/74203


Great tt. Keep in mind that you probably will need to budget for a phono preamp and a midfi one will set you back around $250-$350. Unless your current receiver has a phono input.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,156 Posts

Quote:
Keep in mind that you probably will need to budget for a phono preamp and a midfi one will set you back around $250-$350.

That seems a high price for this quality TT. Rotel and Parasound make excellent phono stages in the $150-200 range. If, as you say, he needs one at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chu Gai /forum/post/12910961


Which Technics does your g/f's father have?

Ohh its a cheap pile of something that came with a set of tower speakers, tape deck, one of their better integrated amplifiers... I don't remember the exact model, but I highly doubt I would want to use it... It was one of those pre-packaged component systems you could buy from Sears? back in the late '80s early '90s...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,281 Posts
the regas are nice for the price. i have some experience with the music hall 2.1 and the 2.2 looks nice for the price range. be sure to pick up the rolls tube phono MM preamp with it--stereophile loved it and you can get it for 200 used or 250 new (i own one as well).

best of luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
601 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denophile /forum/post/12919591


the regas are nice for the price. i have some experience with the music hall 2.1 and the 2.2 looks nice for the price range. be sure to pick up the rolls tube phono MM preamp with it--stereophile loved it and you can get it for 200 used or 250 new (i own one as well).

best of luck!

I got my rolls vp129 for a good price and free shipping online. Since you can't post prices let's just say it was over $40 cheaper than msrp. If you want to know PM me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
I ordered a Music Hall MMF 2.2 a few days ago. Should have it by Friday.


I have grabbed a few LP's and look forward to giving it a spin.


I have not listned to vinyl since my dad had a player in the early 80's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7 Posts
I picked up a rega p3 for about $400 used and added an Ortofon 2M Red ($90). Great sound, and am slowly saving up for the Dynavector 10x5. After that, all the money will go for LPs.


This is my first experience with vinyl and am loving it. Especially the way everyone starts giving you their old records when they find out you got a turntable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko084 /forum/post/12915081


Ohh its a cheap pile of something that came with a set of tower speakers, tape deck, one of their better integrated amplifiers... I don't remember the exact model, but I highly doubt I would want to use it... It was one of those pre-packaged component systems you could buy from Sears? back in the late '80s early '90s...

LOL. I just got my old Technics turntable back in working order after 10+ years in a closet. An SL-QD33 that cost me $150 (incl. cartridge) in 1987. With the help of a new stylus, I'm now able to enjoy a bunch of LPs that I forgot I even had. And I am really surprised at how good it sounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
40 Posts
I have an old Technics SL-Q300 from the early 80's.It has an Ortofon from the same period(not sure of #) I replaced the stylus about 10 yrs ago...it still sounds just fine to my OLD MAN ears.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
I just got my first vinyl. It doesn't fit in my cd player and so I, like the op, need a little help.


I was hoping to spend a bit less than his range on a turntable. To be honest, I don't know anything about TT except that it spins and you put the needle in the groove. So, I wasn't wanting to spend a ton because I know nothing about it. I don't want to damage the LP that I have though as it was a limited release.


I was thinking about something that has usb out so that I could still take a few of those with me (and my dad wants some of his old lps on his computer). Thoughts? I guess I was looking at spending 150ish. If it makes a huge difference though, I could stick a crowbar in my wallet and part with a couple more washingtons.


Thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
305 Posts
Swifty great pics! I **NEED* one of those. I was thinking about my mmf-5/Shure V15MK3 and how that rig would be a GREAT replacement. I know my 30 + year old "Traffic - On The Road" album, which, as I recall, I purchased at the BX at Clark AFB for about $4.99, would sound awesome on that and I know I would mind much less having to put down my glass of Grey Goose to get up and change the records side after 21 minutes and 57 seconds. Wow, really something to dream about. Enjoy the music and have fun!
 
1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Top