AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my Hitachi 51SWX20B Calibrated tomorrow morning by one of the top calibrators in the ISF family. I can't wait. I have had the set for a month now and have been very happy with it. I am floored by the picture when I watch HDNET. It's incredable and it not calibrated yet.

I have waiting from watching movies, etc until I get htis done

I will let you know the results.

CYA

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Calibration done!!!:) I am VERY happy with the results. I got a great education on what to look for and HOW an image is suppose to look!

We just watched chaper 9 (I think) of the fifth element and WOW!! What a picture!!! The flesh tones are great the color is dead nuts.

Highly recommend doing this!!

The calibrator was very impressed with the Hitachi. It was his first he had done and he could not believe the results he could get off this set. He was blown away on how this set performed.

OK, time to call in sick to work and start watching movies!!!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Did he open up the set and do a CRT focus, as well as the normal service menu tweaks? If not, then please report the settings he made (that is, if you know how to get into the service menu).

Also a question for anyone who knows. Does ISF adjustment void a service plan? Clearly if a Hitachi or CC tech goes into the service menu and sees different settings from the factory defaults, he knows somebody has been mucking with the set. Couldn't they accuse the owner, and refuse to provide free service after that?

·
Registered
542 Posts
This is just a gut feeling on my part, but Hitachi has actually included an ISF submenu in the service menu. I don't know why they'd include it if you weren't allowed to have an ISF-certified calibrator use it . . .

--

- Jeff

·
Registered
853 Posts
For Ollie W. Holmes:

Settings made on one set will not necessarily transfer to another with the same results. Display parameters are a bit like DNA, indigenous to that particular set.

Thinking you can copy settings in lieu of getting a calibration is not going to work.

As for warranty, most techs do board swapping, and know that most settings are rarely what the service manuals say. For example, in Pioneer service manuals, most colorimetry settings look like this:

Red Cut 20 ~50

So, with a dialed in set if their right combination of settings are those 5 or 6 parameters, plus POSSIBLY adjusting the Blue Drive pot mechanically on the focus block, you have only one possibility with fussing: Screwing it up.

What you are describing sometimes works for fixed pixel devises, but rarely if ever for CRTs.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Got mine done a while back too. Sweet, ain't it? :)

I just watched the superbit Dracula for the first time since tonight. BIG difference in that one (that movie is pretty heavy on the reds but it still looked great).

·
Registered
972 Posts
So, if/when I have an ISF calibration or if/when I have a service tech over for anything else, is it recommended that I put all of the settings back to the original ones when new?

Thanks.

·
Registered
853 Posts
Unless a calibrator alters your geometry in an unorthodox way, such as not moving a raster by a phase control and really torques the convergence controls to max to accomplish the same result (this, of course, is an extreme example) and fries the deflection board, there is nothing else that can be done during a cal that will cause a set to fail. Changing colorimetry or red push isn't going to affect reliability.

And, thank the heavenly stars if you happen to get a tech that recognizes something like that is changed!!!! You'll likely see someone that will ask you where to put the beer can into the flux capacitor:D

·
Registered
19 Posts
On the subject of calibration of Hitachi 51SWX20B, Cnet review by Kevin Miller in Sept 2002 says:

Speaking of the ISF, we salute Hitachi for being the first TV manufacturer to actually build a dedicated ISF mode in its new line of RPTVs. This means that if you have your set professionally calibrated, all the parameters that the ISF technician might have to adjust are accessible in one place.

On the other hand, Thomas Norton in his November 2002 review of this set for Stereophile Guide to Home Theater says:

More than any other set we've tested in recent memory, the Hitachi cried out for a full calibration, and didn't show its full capabilities until it got one. And the calibration itself - thanks to a quirky service-menu setup - was more difficult than usual. The latter, however, should concern mainly the calibration tecnician, not the user.

Thomas Norton also proclaimed the Hitachi 51SWX20B "the best rear projection set I've reviewed to date."

·
Registered
96 Posts
panini,

The reviewer may not be totally right when stating the Hitachi cried out for a full calibration and the calibration was quirky. I think the set tested may have needed the greyscale adjusted and the calibration listing he might have not fully understood. Other Service Techs consider the Hitachi an easy set to work on. Most of us are learning these new wonderful pieces of electronics, and people like Mike Fusick and Coyotes are really helping us all learn along with the many others who really add their knowledge to this forum. I thank you all.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Concerning ISF calibration, here are some questions:

1. Suppose the wife, the maid or little old me moves the set for vacuuming the floor. Or, we move it to another wall, rotating it 90 deg. This set has a way of getting upset, needing at a minimum, another convergence. What happens if something else changes, negating the ISF cal? Another $500 visit?

2. By the 4th year, the picture tubes lose brightness, not at an even rate. Time to pay the ISF man another fee.

3. Your babysitter changes the contrast and color of the set in movie mode. Oh, you forgot to write down the user settings. Time to phone Mr. ISF man for another house call.

Get the drift? ISF is a great secret society, if you belong. But I am more for knowledge in the hands of the end user, not depending on an exclusive fraternity who know the secret handshake. This is not rocket science or brain surgery. This is tv adjustment. I'll do it myself. I have designed and fixed enough electronics not to be deterred by scare tactics.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ollie W. Holmes

Get the drift? ISF is a great secret society, if you belong. But I am more for knowledge in the hands of the end user, not depending on an exclusive fraternity who know the secret handshake. This is not rocket science or brain surgery. This is tv adjustment. I'll do it myself. I have designed and fixed enough electronics not to be deterred by scare tactics.
Ollie,

I am a very happy ISF customer. While I agree that it is not brain surgery,although I have been involved with brain surgery ;),there is an art to calibration. I had one of the best, Louis Carliner, setup my Barco 1208. Even with the test equipment I could not duplicate his results. Compromises must be made with grayscale settings due to uneven tube wear. The art is knowing which side to err on to get a great result. There are only a handful of ISF mavens that are truly genius quality when it comes to there results. It was the best money that I have spent on PQ in my theater.

Best Regards,

Dave

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mfusick
Yes,

Don't tell them and you'll be ok.

Calibration only negates the warranty on the things the ISF tech changes.
I called Hitachi and they said that if a Hitachi trained or certified tech has the equipment, he can do it and it doesn't void anything. That was last week. Were you just guessing off another brand?

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ollie W. Holmes

1. Suppose the wife, the maid or little old me moves the set for vacuuming the floor. Or, we move it to another wall, rotating it 90 deg. This set has a way of getting upset, needing at a minimum, another convergence. What happens if something else changes, negating the ISF cal? Another $500 visit?
I'm sure most calibrators have reasonable fees for touchup work, if it goes beyond what the customer is comfortable touching up themselves with the user convergence adjustments or service mode if they are comfortable with that. If something catastrophic goes wrong with the set, you would possibly need a recalibration. I myself would not charge full price to a customer who had a calibration recently. Quite a bit of calibration survives most repairs.

Quote:
2. By the 4th year, the picture tubes lose brightness, not at an even rate. Time to pay the ISF man another fee.
Yes, like an automobile tuneup, it doesn't last for life.

Quote:
3. Your babysitter changes the contrast and color of the set in movie mode. Oh, you forgot to write down the user settings. Time to phone Mr. ISF man for another house call.
The standard ISF field report has a place to note user menu settings for the customer so they can refer to it if something gets misadjusted in the future. On most calibrations I do, I'm able to adjust things in the service menus so that the user controls can all be centered or left at defaults which makes it much easier to get it back to how you want it if someone else messes with things.

Quote:
TV calibration is a skilled service. Like any other, you can learn to do it yourself or you can pay to have a professional do it. If you want to do it yourself, I say go for it. If you have anything you would like to share to substantiate your "secret society", "exclusive fraternity", "scare tactics" references, I'd love to hear them. I can state categorically that there is no secret handshake.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.