AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a PS3 and a 42 HD in my room, but the speakers on the HD are pretty bad. So I'm deciding on getting a HTiB.

I'm looking to buy the PHILIPS HTS3450 DivX Ultra DVD Home Theater System for $200.(the forum isn't letting me link urls...)

Keep in mind I just need something that will rattle the room a bit. When I get my apartment I'll be switching to the $500+ systems everyone is screaming about.

Now on to my questions:

-I'm really terrible when it comes to audio systems. The HTiB I linked above is hooked up with a coaxial cable( no optical
). When I hook this up from the receiver to the TV, will I get decent sound when I play my PS3 and watch blu ray movies from it?

-Can anyone recommend something better for around $200?

·
Registered
6,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skizi /forum/post/0

I've got a PS3 and a 42 HD in my room, but the speakers on the HD are pretty bad. So I'm deciding on getting a HTiB.

I'm looking to buy the PHILIPS HTS3450 DivX Ultra DVD Home Theater System for $200.(the forum isn't letting me link urls...)

Personally I would recommend saving that money for when you get a more permanent audio system. As for the forum you have to make 5 posts before you can put links in your posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skizi /forum/post/0

-I'm really terrible when it comes to audio systems. The HTiB I linked above is hooked up with a coaxial cable( no optical
). When I hook this up from the receiver to the TV, will I get decent sound when I play my PS3 and watch blu ray movies from it?

HTiB systems at that price are not made with sound quality in mind. Also regardless of what audio system you get I would recommend that it have at least 2 optical inputs.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Best bang for the buck is the Logitech Z5500 THX certified 1000 watt system. I mean nominal power is rated @ 505watts continous play. Max peak is 1010watts.

10" Deep Long Throw Woofer, With 5 Satelites what sound clear all the way to the max. DTS 94khz/24bit / Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Pro Logic I & II etc...

I like it because it does the job right, it has enough thump to piss all my neighboors off, and not mention that you can find it for 269 shiped from DELL.

Try them out! Nothing but great reviews...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY /forum/post/0

Best bang for the buck is the Logitech Z5500 THX certified 1000 watt system. I mean nominal power is rated @ 505watts continous play. Max peak is 1010watts.

10" Deep Long Throw Woofer, With 5 Satelites what sound clear all the way to the max. DTS 94khz/24bit / Dolby Digital 5.1, Dolby Pro Logic I & II etc...

I like it because it does the job right, it has enough thump to piss all my neighboors off, and not mention that you can find it for 269 shiped from DELL.

Yea, but those don't come with a receiver.

·
Registered
348 Posts
If you are planning on upgrading anyway, then forget buying the cheapo system you found; no sense in throwing away $200 you could have spent on what you ultimately plan to buy.

For instance, since you just want to 'rattle' the room a bit, you could get a decent receiver for now and a nice-sounding pair of bookshelf speakers which could serve as your surround speakers once you upgrade.

For economic receivers, I'd recommend Onkyo, Sony, or Yamaha. You could conceivably even get one with HDMI. For speakers, I'd recommend the Infinity Primus or Beta series.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See the thing is, my room is about 20x15 so I don't need an amazing setup.

My main question would be: In order to achieve good sound from my PS3(games and blu ray movies), would I need to buy an optical cable and connect my audio receiver to my PS3 and then connect the receiver to my HD with a coaxial cable? Or can I just connect the receiver to my HD?

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Receiver for what? It comes with a control pod that can connect up to 6 Devices 1 Optical, 1 Coax, 3 AV.

Or 1 Optical, 1 Coax, 3 way RCA for 5.1 direct from PC.

It is a control pod, that is just the sound system. It works much better than many high priced junk. Now, why would anyone need a receiver when they have a PS3 as a MeDIA HUB? This Control module supports almost any device u throw at it.

Edit: Unless you are needing a receiver, than my appologies. This system wont work for you.

·
Registered
542 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GW-SMOkeY /forum/post/0

Thanks GW-SmOkeY for the above recommendation...looks like something that will fit my needs...

Do you happen to have any links to a good detailed review on this system (preferably with close-up pics and input pics)? I saw a few reviews but nothing too much indepth - thanks

edit: nevermind - found some good close-up pics...

·
Registered
4 Posts
sorry if i am jackin this thread but i wanting a system from myself seems me and skizi have the same setup. 42in hd in a 20x15. was wondering if the ps3 would hdmi out to tv and then audio through system is that how this would work with the logitech?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.