AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. I was all set on getting the Rotel RSX-1065 when I stopped at my favorite local Denon dealer.They are running a "cost plus 10 percent" sale next week and I can get a 4802 for $1650.Regular price is $2499.The Rotel is $1999.Assuming I can probably get a 15% discount on the Rotel,the prices would be within $50 of each other.The Denon has more features(THX ultra,7 channels of amplification,etc.),but strictly in terms of sound quality which would you pick and why?I am only running 5.1 in my system due to room constraints and have no plans to upgrade to 7.1.Sorry for the long post but I would appreciate your opinions. Thanks-Lee

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hello

Both recivers are really good. Music and movies they preform excellent. If your are going to get the denon avr 4802 I would suggest getting the avr-4802r since it is the same price and has been upgraded software wise. Plus the remote is like the 3803, and not the touch pad. Since you have no plans for upgrading to 7.1 The rotel would be a good choice. But I would go with the denon just in case you change your mind and decide to go 7.1 that way you will have the 2 extra channels. I would suggest aditioning them and pick the one which best fits your system. Like I said both recivers are excellent, and you shouldn't be disppointed with your decision.

Good luck with your purchase.

GOLDEN-EAGLE!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Goldeneagle,thanks for your reply.I think my decision is going to be made by some serious sound demos!If I go with the Rotel,it is capable of 7.1 but I would have to add a 2 channel amp(Rotel has one for $500).I am really leaning towards the Rotel but it will depend on the deal I get.Money talks! Thanks again for your opinion. Lee

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Thanks for bringing this topic up. I too will be making this similar decision soon between rotel and denon. Hope you get more replies with this topic.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Well, just my opinion, but I listened to the 1055 next to the 3803 for music (2 channel) about 6 months ago, and found the rotel to have richer and fuller musical sound. I didn't listen to HT. Music's more important to me.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I'd recommend the Rotel 1055 receiver + a 5 channel external amp (maybe used..you can get a Rotel 985MKII for $500). The 1055 supports 7.1, so if you want to you an add a 2 channel amp in the future.

I'm getting the Rotel 1055 this Wednesday or Thursday (hopefully), and I currently own a Denon 3802 (which is sold).

I also have a 2 channel Rotel preamp and Rotel 1070 amp. The Denon with the external amp is pretty good. Adding the 2 channel preamp made a fairly large difference. I was running the Denon in direct mode, but it couldn't match the Rotel 2 channel pre for stereo listening. The soundstage was more focused, and the bass seems tighter with the Rotel.

I purchased the 1055 to consolidate my system. It is a pain having a HT preamp and stereo preamp with 1 amp/speaker set, plus a BFD, external DAC, etc. I am hoping the 1055 in 'direct' mode will be as good as my Rotel 2 channel preamp.

I'll post my thoughts after I receive it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies everyone.It's looking more and more like the Rotel is the one for me,but please keep the opinions coming! Lee

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lee-

I was in the exact same position at the end of last summer, Rotel 1065 vs. Denon 4802. I also have a 5.1 system, with no immediate plans to expand to 7.1. I also had the Denon Aktis Remote as a hand-me-down from my father in law, so I didn't need to acquire another one!

For me it came down to 2-channel performance. Seeing as how the Rotel includes 5 channels and the Denon 7 channels, yet the Rotel is a larger box my assumtion was that the Rotel would have more dynamic headroom and more power reserves in general. After listening to them both, I bought the Rotel.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Whoops! I hit enter too early!

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the Rotel. It absolutely rocks on theater performance and it glows in 2-channel. I can't wait until the Denon 2900 comes out so I can finally listen to my SACD's and DVD-A's in their proper modes.

BTW, don't be fooled by the RSX-1055....it is a capable performer, yet the 1065 contains a torroidal transformer, and the 1055 uses some implementaion of various circuit boards and the like. The 1065's amplifier section is virtually identical to the RMB-1075, except it has to share a power supply with the pre-amp section.

Bottom line...buy the RSX-1065 and enjoy. You can always add on the 2 channel amp later. Also, when you first get it home take off the top cover. That's why you bought it!!

Barry

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Barry is correct about the 1065's amps. For me, I decided to go with the lower model with an external amp because the 1055 is software upgradable. Rotel has already released updates fixing bugs and adding new features. If they continue to do so until a new model comes out (probably a few years), it will keep the 1055 up-to-date with the newer receivers on the market.

Barry - FYI: you can edit/add to any of your posts by clicking the 'edit' button at the upper right of your message.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Kevin- Thanks for the tip!! Using the 1055 as a pre/pro is a good plan too, except it may cost a little more than the 1065.

The 1065 is upgradable too, except since I bought mine fairly early I had to send it back once to upgrade the Dolby EX chipset. After that I was able to upgrade via a download.

One other note, I am a Crestron/AMX programmer and the Rotel has a very nice programming interface. If anyone has an automation system, you or your programmer will be able to replicate the Rotel's front Panel on your touchpanel (which is really cool).

Barry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the feedback guys! My mind is made up:even if I can't get as big a discount as I want,I'm going with the Rotel.Hopefully I'll be picking it up this weekend.I will post my first impressions as soon as I can drag myself away from my new toy!Thanks again to all of you for your insight and opinions. Lee

·
Registered
222 Posts
Lee

Is this sale specific to the store in your area or is this a nationwide Denon sale? Also, what products are eligible? Is the 3803 and 4802R on sale too?

I auditioned both the 1065 and the 4802R in the same store and definitely would go with the Rotel gear. The 1065 doesn't have "all" the features of the Denon 4802R but it sounds fantastic for HT and two channel.

By the way, can anyone shed some light on whether Rotel has worked out the Base Mgmt issue with the 1065 and the 1066? Are there any bugs still nagging these products?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Lee,

I am a happy owner of a Denon 3801. I am also in process to upgrade this receiver. But in terms of 7.1 x 5.1, I don't think you should pay any aattention if you primary goal is music:

-even having 7 speakers, I use 5 for music;

-the only way that I use the two back surr. is with the Widescreen mode on the Denon, seems to me they put the two back channels to work on this dsp.

But when I did an audition on another "music" receiver - NAD - I decided to change. Assuming that Rotel and NAD are very similar, and due to the fact that they are built in the same factory ( I read that in this forum somewhere) I'd go to Rotel.

Denon is good. Good for movies first with music. But Rotel, as NAD, are music oriented.

Good Luck

lmauta

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
HT Gearhead,this sale is specific to the store.It is a prefered customer sale and applies to every item in the store.This includes the 3803 but they do not have the 4802R in stock yet.The salesman did not know if they are getting any in.This store is an independent store and they run these sales a few times a year.I really don't see how they do it.Cost plus 10% is pretty amazing as far as I'm concerned.Why couldn't this place carry Rotel?:mad: Also,I spoke with the Rotel dealer this morning and the only 1065 he has is the display model.He has had it for a while and going by the serial number he gave me,it does not have the upgraded component inputs or Dolby Digital EX.He can order me one but it will take a few weeks to arrive.I do not use component switching as my display has enough inputs and DDEX is not going to be utilized with a 5.1 setup but I don't know if I will be satisfied knowing that it is not the latest and greatest version of this piece.On the other hand,I have waited quite a while to save the cash for this purchase and a few more weeks will drive me crazy!!!What to do? Lee

·
Registered
74 Posts
Lee,

I would call a couple of other dealers and see what they have in stock. It can't hurt to check. I'm pretty much an instant gratification kind of guy, but I wouldn't take the demo model over a brand new one, especially with the updated features, you never know when you may go to 7.1 (unless of course he gave you a really good discount).

Another thing you could check on, is to see if the dealer would be willing to lend you the demo model until the one you ordered is in. A store did this for me once when they needed to order me one. Worked out great.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Lee,

I owned the 1065, it is a great receiver. If you are going to get one from him, let him order a new one, unless you can get negotiate a price you can't refuse for the floor model. In terms of firmware, I would not be to concerned, since you can upload the new firmware yourself. There is more info on the firmware update over at HometheaterForum on Club Rotel. Good luck

Frances

·
Registered
95 Posts
Lee- Keep in mind that If the floor model is below V1.3, then It will need to be send in to have the EX chipset, and Component video fixes installed. After that, it can be upgraded via download.

The current versio is 1.55 I believe.

However, I would wait for him to order a new 1.55 one. Then you can get the silver faceplate too!!

Barry

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Barry,I'm going to talk to the dealer on Thursday.Unless he gives me an amazing discount on the floor model,I am going to have him order one for me.I would hate to spend that much money on something and have to turn around and ship it off for the upgrades right away.Oh,well-I guess I can wait a few more weeks! Lee

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well,I got the Rotel yesterday.I bought the floor model.With a little negotiating I got a price I couldn't refuse.If I had one ordered,I would have had to pay list price.Anyway,despite having to get some firmware upgrades done sometime,I love it!I just couldn't get excited about the Denon.It's a very nice receiver but it just didn't appeal to me as much as the Rotel.I haven't found anything about it I don't like yet.Sound quality is awesome for movies and music and the user interface is great.Easiest setup experience I have ever had with a receiver! Thanks again to all of you for your opinions and advice. Lee

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.