AVS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm having some issues with my setup. I primarily listen to music and am currently getting almost zero bass in my primary listening position. The main channels are Infinity Primus 362s and the amp is an Onkyo TX-SR503. I have an Infinity PS-10, but I'm not currently using it.

My problem is that I live in a condo. I'm getting no bass where I sit, so I have to crank the bass and volume which pisses off the neighbors. Its like my couch is a black hole for bass. I've tried using the sub in almost every part of the room and it doesn't help. I can't really move the speakers, because the couch won't fit anywhere else. The bass sounds great from the corner to the left of the couch. I can't figure out what to do. Is there something I'm missing? Something I should try?

I've attached a crude layout of my living room area. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chad

living room2.pdf 22.49609375k . file

Attachments

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
can you move your subwoofer? have you tried the sub placement by crawling around method*?

* put your sub at the place where you sit, and crawl around for the best bass. that is where you should put the sub.

·
Registered
883 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiriuslyCold /forum/post/12875263

can you move your subwoofer? have you tried the sub placement by crawling around method*?

* put your sub at the place where you sit, and crawl around for the best bass. that is where you should put the sub.

The crawling around method works, but is difficult to explain to curious onlookers...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I initially tried placing the sub in the middle of the room and doing that, but I didn't "crawl". I give your suggestion a shot. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche951 /forum/post/12875330

The crawling around method works, but is difficult to explain to curious onlookers...

ROFL!

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaderickson /forum/post/12875181

I'm getting no bass where I sit

I see two fundamental problems:

1) You are sitting right in front of a reflecting wall, and peaks and nulls are always worst there.

2) I assume you have no bass traps.

Ideally you'll rotate your setup 90 degrees counter-clockwise so the TV is on the left wall where the chair is, and your couch is in front of the bar which I assume is low and does not go up much above ear level. Rotating your setup, plus adding four or more bass traps, will make a huge improvement in the quantity and quality of bass in your room.

--Ethan

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
For some reason the PDF is not working right but I would start with the 1 bass trap in each front corner and 2 right behind where you sit. Oh yea and do the craw around thing.

Glenn

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok. I tried the crawl method, and I've found a slightly better spot. I want to try some bass traps. From what I've seen, they don't usually take up the whole wall. Should I place them lower or higher?

Does anyone know a good DIY site? I'd prefer to build something thats going to be aesthetically pleasing. Maybe just a good general bass trap information website would also be helpful.

Thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
6,162 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaderickson /forum/post/12884498

Does anyone know a good DIY site? I'd prefer to build something thats going to be aesthetically pleasing. Maybe just a good general bass trap information website would also be helpful.

Everything you need is right here:

Acoustics FAQ

--Ethan

·
Registered
393 Posts
Wow I need to try this crawling around thing.... my rooms seating position is piss poor at best.... haha should be interesting....

·
Registered
775 Posts
I remember when I was setting my system up in my new place almost 2 months ago. I was so excited to have a 21X13 room totally dedicated to my stuff. I set my stuff up long ways so I would have plenty of room for 7.1 if I wanted it. I found out the only bass I could hear was really low stuff and nothing else. The subwoofer didn't sound right in any spot or position with my ideal listening area. I now have my stuff setup wide with my couch against the back wall. I found still while this helped just to make my stuff tolerable, I still had several nulls in my bass response. I was seriously considering selling all my speakers and buying a nice set of headphones because I was so tired of fighting with it. I was mostly just being lazy because didn't feel like taking the time I know that it takes to hammer out these issues. I got up one weekend morning with an overwhelming desire to tinker with something and so I went to work on it. In short, I hammered them out and now my system has never sounded better. So how did I do it without adding a whole bunch of bass traps? Read on and I tell you.

First of all you need a real bass tester; one that does sine sweeps in the bass range only or even better one that can play an isolated tone for a few seconds and then the next. I recommend Bass Mechanic. Start with just your sub and no other speakers playing. Try as many doable spots you need to until you find where the sub has the flattest and best response using the test tones and sine sweeps. That will be the spot for your sub. Next turn the sub OFF and use the test tones to find the best spot for your two mains. This is important because your mains can cancel each other out since they are located in different spots in your room. Next set input the actual distances or your mains and sub into the receiver. Take out the bass tester for now and play some music through just your main speakers with no sub to test for overall sound quality. After you have done that, put the bass tester back in and run a sweep on the mains and sub together. If there are nulls caused by cancellation, move or turn only the sub. Also try the phase shift switch or variable shift knob if you have one. If your receiver is equipped with a variable electronic crossover experiment with the available crossover points to see if you can get better results.

These pointers are very short and general because there aren't many absolutes when it comes to sound. Most of it is experimentation. These are the guidelines I made and followed to get my system where I could just listen to it without the having the urge to become violently disappointed. All I needed when I was getting frustrated was a good place to start that had promise. After you hear good a change, it will give you the will to pursue greater results.

·
Banned
5,125 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbert /forum/post/12884769

Wow I need to try this crawling around thing.... my rooms seating position is piss poor at best.... haha should be interesting....

Yeah it's hard on the knees ROFL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wow. Some great suggestions. Thanks! I ordered some OC 705 to build some traps this weekend. I'll let you know how it works out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts