Extra wide voice coil for increased power handling

Super powerful advanced neodymium rare earth magnet

Slim internal design to increase available internal volume

Enhanced heat dissipation via proprietary driver basket and driver design

Oxygen-free internal copper wiring

Custom gold-plated mini binding posts

Vs

Mod1

Super High Excursion technology for enhanced low midrange and high bass performance

• Custom Wound Voice Coil using latest cross-section design technology

• Super powerful advanced neodymium magnet

• Slim high-tech internal design to increase available internal volume

• Enhanced heat dissipation via proprietary driver basket design & thermal technology

• Oxygen-free internal copper wiring

• Custom gold-plated easy-grip binding posts

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Where did you find those details? I guess their site but I could not find it there.

I copy and pasted the current model details and then I used the site wayback machine to go back and get the mod1 details and copy and pasted them in here for everyone reference.

My setup consists off the following.

Mod2 = front L/R and rear L/R

Mod1 = 6th and 7th Channel

Mod4 = centre channel

SVS SB12-NSD = subwoofer.

Powered by Marantz SR8002 receiver with clear audio silver line mains plug and van damme 2.5mm speaker hifi series cable.

I think they should have improved the binding post as it was very difficult to do a mod2 with quality 2.5mm cable.

Thanks

AVS would like to say thank you

to our site Sponsors!

#1352 of 1377

1/6/14

Viipottaja

Quote:

Originally Posted by a5ian300zx

I think they should have improved the binding post as it was very difficult to do a mod2 with quality 2.5mm cable.

Fully agree, clearly the worst part of their design. At least make the hole slighly bigger, wiring the Mod2 is pain in the butt.

Would be nice if they came up with golf ball sized tweeters.

I am considering upgrading my FL and FR to Mod2, but keeping (for cost reasons) center as Mod2 as well.. how much better would you say Mod4 center is than Mod2 (if you had Mod2 center before that is)?

#1353 of 1377

1/6/14

a5ian300zx

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viipottaja

Quote:

Fully agree, clearly the worst part of their design. At least make the hole slighly bigger, wiring the Mod2 is pain in the butt.

Would be nice if they came up with golf ball sized tweeters.

I am considering upgrading my FL and FR to Mod2, but keeping (for cost reasons) center as Mod2 as well.. how much better would you say Mod4 center is than Mod2 (if you had Mod2 center before that is)?

Hi,

Sorry I did not have mod2 centre, but I did do a quick test from mod2 to mod4 on its own and to me it was not much difference unless you are going to really put the volume up.

I just wanted clear vocals but still find that I have to up the centre Channel dB so I could clearly hear it.

For the fronts I think you should keep them all the same for balanced front sound, especially consider a lot of TV is still in stereo sound.

Here is one of my speakers that just came apart, the glue is bit cheap and the advice given was to glue it back together again.

The pics are few years old.

Thanks

#1354 of 1377

1/6/14

Viipottaja

Quote:

Sorry I did not have mod2 centre, but I did do a quick test from mod2 to mod4 on its own and to me it was not much difference unless you are going to really put the volume up.

I just wanted clear vocals but still find that I have to up the centre Channel dB so I could clearly hear it.

For the fronts I think you should keep them all the same for balanced front sound, especially consider a lot of TV is still in stereo sound.

Here is one of my speakers that just came apart, the glue is bit cheap and the advice given was to glue it back together again.

Ok thanks for the insight - will probably then keep Mod2 center (but replace them with the Mod1x spheres as I will need to get two more anyway), and do Mod2s for the front sides, keep the current Mod1s as surround sides, and add Mod1s for the surround back/rear channels to go from 5.1 to 7.1 (or some cheaper alternative, I gather back channels don't need to be the same as the rest plus I can place them in a bookshelf so don't have to look as great as Orb Audios do either ). Just to clarify: what d you mean I should all the fronts the same? I mean you have Mod4 center and Mod2 sides, no (i.e. not exactly the same)?

And thanks for the interesting pics - in particular nice to see what's inside of them, never seen that before!

#1355 of 1377

1/6/14

a5ian300zx

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viipottaja

Quote:

Ok thanks for the insight - will probably then keep Mod2 center (but replace them with the Mod1x spheres as I will need to get two more anyway), and do Mod2s for the front sides, keep the current Mod1s as surround sides, and add Mod1s for the surround back/rear channels to go from 5.1 to 7.1 (or some cheaper alternative, I gather back channels don't need to be the same as the rest plus I can place them in a bookshelf so don't have to look as great as Orb Audios do either ). Just to clarify: what d you mean I should all the fronts the same? I mean you have Mod4 center and Mod2 sides, no (i.e. not exactly the same)?

And thanks for the interesting pics - in particular nice to see what's inside of them, never seen that before!

Sorry I meant as in keep them the same make as I was thinking of changing mine front left and right with different make but was advised to keep them the same manufacturer.

Yeah when you look inside the orbs the speakers actually look very cheap. I still have that one that I need to repair but was thiking of making the rear 6th and 7th Channel to mod2 but would need to purchase additional boss mounts and two speakers. I initially set it up with rear 6th and 7th with mod 1 just to test as that is not vast amount out thier that encoded in 7.1. Even these days not all blurays have 7.1 so that was the reason I was not that bothered by it.

Ps. The reason I have my speakers high and facing down so my kids don't mess with them as they are delicate.

My crossover is set to 150 on my amp which blends in nice now.

Thanks

#1356 of 1377

1/7/14

Viipottaja

Gotcha. I have so far managed to - for the most part - scare my kids to not touching the speakers, and now even the projector screen!

#1357 of 1377

1/10/14

Viipottaja

Another Mod1x based review:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2427629,00.asp

#1358 of 1377

1/11/14

Tommy Gun Rally

Hope I dont get my hand slapped again by AVS mods, but I have a Orb Audio Mod1 5-speaker set in hand antiqued copper with (or without) Super8 subwoofer for sale. Excellent condition. Check the classifieds for more info. $450 for everything OBO. Thanks!

#1359 of 1377

1/11/14

randomax

Has anyone used the front orbs as in wall speakers? As in put the orbs in an enclosure with a grill in front? I guess begs the question why get the orbs if you're going use them in wall but was still curious.

#1360 of 1377

1/12/14

a5ian300zx

More pics of the inside

Just for anyone who is interested.

Thanks

#1361 of 1377

1/14/14

a5ian300zx

I have my new amp coming today and can't wait to try the orbs on it to see if it makes a difference.

Yamaha rxv1073.

Will feedback once tested.

Thanks

#1362 of 1377

1/17/14

a5ian300zx

With my new yamaha rxv1073 the mic setup has set the cross over at 160hz with - 2db.

My last amp was set to 140hz at the end.

This amp ....110,120,160,200hz

Thanks

#1363 of 1377

2/17/14

kl884347

Anyone have first hand experience of the Orb Audio vs. Jamo's 360 series? I was originally looking at getting the S25 5.1 system but then found Orb Audio and am considering finding a used set of Mod1's. I live in a condo with a 17x25 main room with 8.5' ceilings and mostly watch movies/TV and sometimes music (mostly pop-ish and classical). Budget is a big concern which is why I originally limited myself to the S25s.

Thanks.

#1364 of 1377

2/17/14

Viipottaja

Quote:

Originally Posted by kl884347

Anyone have first hand experience of the Orb Audio vs. Jamo's 360 series? I was originally looking at getting the S25 5.1 system but then found Orb Audio and am considering finding a used set of Mod1's. I live in a condo with a 17x25 main room with 8.5' ceilings and mostly watch movies/TV and sometimes music (mostly pop-ish and classical). Budget is a big concern which is why I originally limited myself to the S25s.

Thanks.

Hi, no experience with Jamo's but have been very happy with the Orb Audios. I am now toying with the idea of replacing the fronts and center with something a bit more "room filling" as have now a 11x20 movie room. Where are you located (just in case I would decide to replace the whole Orb Audio 5.1 set up with something else)?

#1365 of 1377

2/17/14

kl884347

Hi and thanks for the reply. I am in MD.

#1366 of 1377

2/23/14

wse

How do the compare with Anthony Gallo these could be great to do a 13.4 system

#1367 of 1377

2/25/14

Viipottaja

Quote:

Originally Posted by wse

How do the compare with Anthony Gallo these could be great to do a 13.4 system

I have no experience with Gallo, but I believe the guy (or one of them) who started Orb Audio used to work in Gallo. This thread may help answer your question:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/676871/orb-audio-vs-anthony-gallo-anyone

#1368 of 1377

3/4/14

a5ian300zx

Does anyone know the specification of the orbs in a mod2 and mod4 combo?

On thier site they only have mod1 but I know this just does not double when you say add more than one.

Thanks

#1369 of 1377

3/4/14

Viipottaja

Quote:

Does anyone know the specification of the orbs in a mod2 and mod4 combo?

On thier site they only have mod1 but I know this just does not double when you say add more than one.

Can you clarify what you mean exactly? What specs?

#1370 of 1377

3/4/14

a5ian300zx

It's OK I got the following answer from orb audio.

The combination / array of Mod2 / Mod4, etc., has the same response and

power handling, you just get more presence throughout the range,

especially in the midrange and high-end when you add more spheres.

Hope this helps get you started - thanks again for the email, and be

sure to let me know if you have any more questions.

Regards,

#1371 of 1377

a month ago

tractng

Guys,

I am looking at these satellites (Mod1x or Mod2x) for rear speakers (2 speakers needed for surround) in a 5.1 system. I moved my Mirage OMD speakers (including Omd28) to the office and replaced with an Atlantic Technology FS-5000 sound bar LCR for the living room 13x21 ft.

Which one would you recommend below for rears? I will be using the JL f113 sealed sub which is very musical to go along with the system. Amp is an emotiva 5 channel. I do some light music listening using all the speakers, but mostly movies.

TT

#1372 of 1377

a month ago

a5ian300zx

I would choose mod2 over mod1. I have mod1 for my 6th and 7th Channel and they do not sound has good as my mod2 for the rest of the channels setup. More mid range and the sound feels fuller.

#1373 of 1377

a month ago

Viipottaja

Quote:

Originally Posted by tractng

Guys,

I am looking at these satellites (Mod1x or Mod2x) for rear speakers (2 speakers needed for surround) in a 5.1 system. I moved my Mirage OMD speakers (including Omd28) to the office and replaced with an Atlantic Technology FS-5000 sound bar LCR for the living room 13x21 ft.

Which one would you recommend below for rears? I will be using the JL f113 sealed sub which is very musical to go along with the system. Amp is an emotiva 5 channel. I do some light music listening using all the speakers, but mostly movies.

TT

If you can affored it, Mod2 is probably better. If cost is a major factor, I am sure Mod1 would do OK too, given that you are mostly watching movies.

#1374 of 1377

a month ago

sdavis81

Hi all,

Looking for a little advice and cross-posting to the Minx thread.

I am looking for some rear satellites that are inconspicuous. I am comparing the Orbs Mod 1 to Cambridge Minx 11 or 21. The prices for all of these are doable so not a big deal.

I have in the front some cabinets with Def Tech Pro Cinema 600 center and R L fronts. At some point could upgrade these too. The sub is HSU STF-1.

The rear wall needs wall mounting and is on the way to the kitchen, so wifey wants something small.

Gonna have to mix and match a little I guess. It looks like the main difference is going to be the crossover, the Orbs crossover lower but I would guess in reality for small speakers they aren't that much different.

Thougts?

Scott

#1375 of 1377

10 days ago

kl884347

Just thought I would add that I finally decided on the Orbs and contacted their customer service. Even though I am on an uber budget, they treated me like I was a first class customer and responded quickly and with a lot of detail in their answers. .Just really fantastic customer service. I chose a Dayton 1200 and even though I'm not an audiophile, I do notice the gap that would probably be better filled by their sub or one that extends a little higher.

#1376 of 1377

5 days ago

rstand

I never fail to be impressed by the customer service provided by the folks at Orb Audio. First class personal service!!

#1377 of 1377

an hour ago

redcoupebandit

Hey Guys, it's April 5th 2014 and I am continuing this thread. Just had the President of ORB call me and talk for almost 1 hour, great guy! I have a media Room already with a 10 foot screen, blah, blah, blah.

I am Looking SERIOUSLY (like might buy these Monday, it's Friday Night now) for my Living Room. Currently it has a 42" Vizio in the corner in a built in. We bought a Samsung 65" 3D HDTV at Costco (7050 model) to Hang above the Fireplace in our Living Room and I have a Mantle above my Fireplace and below my SOON TO BE HUNG TV, so I can out my center channel there below the TV.

My room is already wired for 5.1, but never used it and each of the wires are hidden behind a Wall Plate / Junction Box. Guess What? ORB makes Junction Box Mounts, so install is going to be CLEAN and easy! Bought a Denon AVR-X2000 3D Receiver that I am pairing with my Samsung 3D TV and speakers, etc.

OK I am 95% sure I am going to Pull the trigger on the ORB Mod2X Home Theater Speaker System, so That just means I have 2 Balls (Speakers.......LOL) per each surround speaker. I am ALSO Upgrading the Center Channel to a Mod4X (4 Balls) and also going to Upgrade the Super 8 Sub to the Uber 10 Sub. The Sub is my Biggest Question which I will ask shortly!

So I am getting this Mod 2X for all surround speakers and a QUAD for the Center and their Uber 10" Sub Woofer:

2 Left Front

2 Right Front

2 Back Right Rear

2 Back Left Rear

4 Center Channel Speakers

1 10" Uber Sub

I am getting these because since I already have junction boxes covered by face plates, the Install of these will be super easy, and clean, and will go well with the new Samsung 65" 3D TV! Again, I have a Media Room Upstairs, so this sould be a HUGE Upgrade from my prior set up of a 42" Vizio TV in the corner in a built in Cabinet. LOL

Here is my MAIN QUESTION and please guys help me. I HOPE someone reads this soon because I want to pull the trigger Monday. It's the SUB!!!!

I'm OK with the speakers, they are going to be great for my set up, not AMAZING, but for what they are (a little metal ball), and if you set your expectations accurately, and expect to hear a great sounding 3" good looking and compact speaker solution, I am sure you will be satisfied.

I am Upgrading the Sub to the Uber 10" and I am sure it is a decent upgrade, BUT, if another SUB will WORK with these ORB Speakers, I might want to supplement a NON ORB Sub in the equation. I'm not an audiophile and don't understand the technical specs of the subs and how they work with the other speakers, etc.

My Question is Should I get another sub? If so, and I think I want to get another sub, WHAT SUB will work with this set up?

I was looking at an SVS PB1000 or SVS PB2000 or SB1000 or SB2000 (Not sure if I want ported or Non with my ORB set up?) Also to remind you, I have a Denon AVR-X2000 Receiver.

Also was looking at a Hsu VTF-2 MK4 subwoofer or even a VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer?

Again, I am not sure if I can Add a LARGE Sub with these smaller speakers? What Size can I and SHOULD I Get please?????

Or, would you guys just stay with the Uber 10 from ORB???

Thanks

The Bandit...................

First

Previous

Last

Next

Page 46

of 46

AVS would like to say thank you

to our site Sponsors!

ReplySubscribe to thread

PreviewReply