AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help understanding things.

I have a Pioneer 141-FD TV, no built in Tuners.

My receiver is a Pioneer SC-07

I will be cancelling DirecTV soon and trying out OTA tv using a roof mounted antenna.

Now I know the only piece I am missing is a "Tuner", but I have had a REALLY hard time finding something that does what I need.

Basically I just want something that will give me a remote control and an HDMI output.

Searching for this, all I can find is either DVR boxes or these USB-Tuners that seem meant for PCs. Why can't I find any basic tuners that will get my antenna signal to HDMI? Anybody mind suggesting any?

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ictusbrucks /forum/post/19603328

Need some help understanding things.

I have a Pioneer 141-FD TV, no built in Tuners.

My receiver is a Pioneer SC-07

I will be cancelling DirecTV soon and trying out OTA tv using a roof mounted antenna.

Now I know the only piece I am missing is a "Tuner", but I have had a REALLY hard time finding something that does what I need.

Basically I just want something that will give me a remote control and an HDMI output.

Searching for this, all I can find is either DVR boxes or these USB-Tuners that seem meant for PCs. Why can't I find any basic tuners that will get my antenna signal to HDMI? Anybody mind suggesting any?
This post int he "HDTV Technical" forum keeps an up to date list of OTA Tuners.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, but I am again confused. The first thing on that list:

Centronics ZAT502

When I google it, I see a Digital Convertex Box, not a Tuner. My TV is Digital.

In fact I dont really see any Tuners in there, those things all look like DTVs. *confused*

·
Registered
823 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ictusbrucks /forum/post/19603328

I've never been in the market for this, but thought that it would be easy to find something that would meet your simple requirements. But as you've already discovered, it's not.

All I can suggest is to try googling the keywords "atsc", "tuner", and "hdmi". Even then, you'll have to look into other details, like the remote control, and whether a device sends audio + video over its HDMI output.

Good luck. Hopefully you'll find something that fits your needs.

·
Registered
116 Posts
What you need is an HD OTA Tuner. Basically the same thing as a "converter box" but has the HD decoder. They are getting harder to find but search ebay and you will surely find one. I use a Zenith HDV420. http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-HDV420-.../dp/B00007GQQ9

This is an older model that has component out, but still delivers 1080i and 720p resolution. You can find some with HDMI but probably not as many as when HDMI came around, the tuner's were already built inside the TV's. I know Samsung made one though. Not sure of the model.

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ictusbrucks /forum/post/19603404

Thanks, but I am again confused. The first thing on that list:

Centronics ZAT502

When I google it, I see a Digital Convertex Box, not a Tuner. My TV is Digital.

In fact I dont really see any Tuners in there, those things all look like DTVs. *confused*

They are all OTA tuners. The Centronics seems to be regarded as the favorite. Direct link to the Centronics: http://www.centronics.com/product.php?id=48

·
Registered
3,291 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaronis /forum/post/19603936

What you need is an HD OTA Tuner. Basically the same thing as a "converter box" but has the HD decoder. They are getting harder to find but search ebay and you will surely find one. I use a Zenith HDV420. http://www.amazon.com/Zenith-HDV420-.../dp/B00007GQQ9

This is an older model that has component out, but still delivers 1080i and 720p resolution. You can find some with HDMI but probably not as many as when HDMI came around, the tuner's were already built inside the TV's. I know Samsung made one though. Not sure of the model.

Again, they are listed in this link . The Zenith you use is listed under "discontinued."

·
Registered
3,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaronis
Thank you but I am very aware that my zenith is discontinued. lol.
I didn't imply that you didn't know it was discontinued, I was just reinforcing that the link I provided identified current boxes that do what the OP is asking, and an ebay search isn't required.

·
Registered
116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oktoberrust11 /forum/post/19605684

I didn't imply that you didn't know it was discontinued, I was just reinforcing that the link I provided identified current boxes that do what the OP is asking, and an ebay search isn't required.

If a guy wanted to purchase one, an ebay search wouldn't be a good source? Ok, sure.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad Theimpaler /forum/post/19603877

I've never been in the market for this, but thought that it would be easy to find something that would meet your simple requirements. But as you've already discovered, it's not.

?

The initial reply gave the answer. AVS has maintained a list Digital TV tuners with HDTV output since 2002. There are at least 5 currently available units that fit the requirements posted, with dozens of previous units that would also work fine when using component video or RGBHV.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaronis /forum/post/19605841

If a guy wanted to purchase one, an ebay search wouldn't be a good source?

For a used unit, yes. For a new one, probably not.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken H
For a used unit, yes. For a new one, probably not.
That's exactly my point! As I stated they are getting a little more difficult to find and if a guy needs one, one might search ebay!

·
Registered
694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaronis /forum/post/19603936

I know Samsung made one though. Not sure of the model.

It's not new, but it's the Samsung DTB-H260F I spotted on amazon.com. It has HDMI, which the OP is looking for, & has HD. I however would check ebay to see if one can be found cheaper. $229.00 is rather expensive for a discontinued HDTV box. I remember Circuit City selling these in 2008 for $169 new (from what I was told, that was practically wholesale cost).

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have a Samsung DTB-H260F that basically gathers dust in my basement. It is hooked up to an old 30" widescreen tube TV and works fine. However, since the purchase of a dish Network Pal DVR, I have nearly abandoned the Sammy, relegating it to kids' use in the basement.

The Pal DVR is a dual tuner HD OTA box that also records up to 2 shows at once. It is discontinued (per se) because Dish no longer sells it under their name. I believe that Channel Master sells one for more than the Dish box originally cost, but there may be added features also. Mine works wonderfully well!

I know the price is greater than a single tuner, but it is dual tuner...you can watch and record different programs at the same time, or you can record two programs at once.

Just my opinion!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I actually wasn't receiving notifications for a bit otherwise would've chimed back in sooner.

I ended up getting a Centronics ZAT502 and a cheapo Antenna to try out at first since I'm only really trying to get a few local channels, namely PBS. The ZAT will come in monday or tuesday so I'll post back how it worked out.

Question about the Samsung Terrestrial Receiver Model posted:

Why does it say it requires a "DTV Ready" TV?? It has HDMI out, so it should work with ANY tv that has an HDMI input, right? Not like it requires a separate converter?

Or are they just warning people that this won't work with old analogue-only coax TVs without another converter method?

What's confusing to me is that "DTV-Ready" implies something more than just a digital input on the TV, but thats just my interpretation.

Thanks for all the help!

Ryan

·
Registered
501 Posts
The Centronics ZAT502 will work fine with your monitor and your A/V receiver. You're good to go there.

Did you remember to also order a couple HDMI cables? If not, go to Monoprice or Blue Jeans Cable now and order a couple! (One to go from the tuner to the A/V receiver, another to go from the A/V receiver to the monitor).

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks.

Last year amazon was selling 6' HDMI cables for 2 pennies each, so I bought a dozen. Haven't wanted for HDMI cables.

But I won't even need to use another HDMI cable since I will be removing the DirecTV box which was using hdmi also.

·
Registered
501 Posts
This is off-topic, but I *hate* those 2-penny deals, because the (non-refundable) shipping is usually $2-$5. Basically they've found a way to sell you something for $2-$5 that you can't return if it's garbage.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts