AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After doing the drive upgrade to my replay I keep thinking how poor the thermal layout seems to be. In one corner on the bottom is the power supply (perhaps the biggest heat generator in the box) next to it at the top is the hard disk. The vents on the top are all the way over on the other side of the unit. Hot air from the power supply rises to the top and cooks the hard disk before it eventually makes its way over to the other side where it can get out.

I'm thinking of drilling a bunch of holes in the cover directly above the power supply to allow the hot air out faster and hopefully reduce the temperature at the drive. Has anyone already attempted any such modification?? How did it work?

Any advice appreciated.

Tommy

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
The cool air is drawn in from the bottom of the unit and flows toward the front then up and back out of the unit. This air stream is the result of hot air rising creating the flow. Any changes to the airflow will disrupt the flow and likely worsen the condition. I don't concern myself with temperature of the power supply as the current design is sufficient for that. I would concentrate on the heat created from the hard drive reading and writing which is the problem. Some people have added an exhaust fan to increase the airflow through the case. I've added a cooling fan to the drive itself as well as a ventilation fan. What ever your cooling mod is, test it by feeling the temperature of the hard drive after a long recording. You will be surprised. It is hotter than any hard drive in your home pc. The max temp on Maxtor and Quantum drive is 135 deg.f

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mike

The power supply heat bothers me because the hard disk is right above it on the side, and the top cover is almost touching the disk. The heat from the power supply rises and warms the top cover just above it even when the drive is off (minimum load on the supply). Not just the top cover but I'd bet it's also keeping the disk toasty warm as well. When it's turned on the increased electrical load produces more heat that goes up hits the top cover and and sits there making the spot on the cover and the drive even warmer; add to that heat the heat produced by the drive and I agree it can't feel good.

I know hot air likes to go up; it easily goes sideways at an incline(still going up), does not really care to go sideways, and is a pain in the butt to make go down (those downdraft ranges never really worked to well even with monster blowers).

The power supply is happy. It sits at the bottom of the case (where it's cool) and all it's heat goes up and cooks the top of the case and the hard disk. The hot air eventually makes it way across the top cover gets to the top vents and out; but by touching the top cover with your hand you know mostly that hot air just sits around the hard disk and produces a hot spot.

A fan is the sure fire solution to blow that heat out but I still wonder what a bunch of holes directly over the power supply/hard disk would do. (hot air does love to go up).

I'll let you know what happens when I try it.

Tommy

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.