AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

I am have narrowed down my list to these 4 tv's now need expert advise here on what to pick :-

a) Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ85U (Like the black levels, good good reviews)

b) Sony Sony Bravia W-Series KDL-52W4100

c) Samsung LN52A650 52-Inch (I dont know if this model comes in matte)

d) Sharp Aquos LC52D85U

How is Sharp compared to the other ones I listed . I am looking for a set which can display regular tv in good quality also.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would vote for XBR6 or Panasonic 800 plasma.

I would imagine other models in these lineups will be similar-

Anka

·
Registered
576 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartguy /forum/post/15586311

Hello

I am have narrowed down my list to these 4 tv's now need expert advise here on what to pick :-

a) Panasonic Viera TH-50PZ85U (Like the black levels, good good reviews)

b) Sony Sony Bravia W-Series KDL-52W4100

c) Samsung LN52A650 52-Inch (I dont know if this model comes in matte)

d) Sharp Aquos LC52D85U

How is Sharp compared to the other ones I listed . I am looking for a set which can display regular tv in good quality also.

A650 is glossy and the A630 is matte.

Personally I would go with either a or c (and likely c). I would be biased to the A650 because I have on and have more personal experience with it. I was also deciding between a, b and c when I was researching... I chose c, for whatever that is worth.

·
Registered
178 Posts
If you want better suggestions, you might want to tell us where you are going to put it. Is this going to be in a bright room? Are there windows? What do you typically watch. Is this also for gaming? ...etc.

·
Registered
263 Posts
im in the same boat as you.

My choices are

1. Pioneer 50 inch Kuro

2. LN45A950 Samsung

OR spend alot more and aim for the

3. Pioneer 50 inch Elite Kuro

4. LN55A950

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Where you are going to put it. :- It's going to be in the living room which has couple of windows

Is this going to be in a bright room :- yes it gets light during the day

What do you typically watch :- Watch lots of movies , play some games and watch regular tv also .

Is this also for gaming :- yes for some gaming .

If Pioneer 50 inch plasma is for $2199 then I think Sony KDL-52W4100 is for $1899 .

·
Registered
178 Posts
Well, personally I prefer LCDs. Sure, Plasmas have better blacks, but they have dingy whites....especially in scenes with lots of snow, sand, etc. So unless you can compensate by severely darkening the room, I would go with LCD. And while not as bad as in the past, plasmas use considerably more power. As always, YMMV

·
Registered
1,183 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan /forum/post/15599575

FWIW, I would get the plasma. And if glare is a problem, then you can just get some better blinds.

Concur on both counts. Not that big a deal to pull the curtain a bit or adjust a blind. For me, Plasma is fine in a room with average, comfortable light levels. No flat panel is good at 'Death Valley' levels of sunlight.

If power consumption differential is a huge concern,

CNET compares power consumption of 139 Plasma and LCD's
HERE

Not always in LCD's favor, for example:

Sony KDL-52XBR6 LCD annual cost $84.38

Panasonic TH-50PZ800U plasma $59.77

·
Registered
719 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarv /forum/post/15599340

Well, personally I prefer LCDs. Sure, Plasmas have better blacks, but they have dingy whites....especially in scenes with lots of snow, sand, etc. So unless you can compensate by severely darkening the room, I would go with LCD. And while not as bad as in the past, plasmas use considerably more power. As always, YMMV

My expereince exectly. I had a Panny Plasma and Sony XBR4 in my house last year. Plasma black are better than the LCD's, but I hated the whites. I could get theLCD black close to my likely and the whites were great along with the brightness I like to see in TVs. I could NEVER get the plasma's whites anywhere close to my liking. As stated, whatching hockey or heavy snows sceens in movies, the whites just were DULL.. I see the same today when I look at plasma's versus LCDs when I go to BB or CC. I can always stand back from the wall of TVs and point out the Plasmas because they look so DULL.

That's my 2 cents..

·
Registered
2,123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartguy /forum/post/15599751

How much more power plasma's use compared to lcd.

Quite a lot right now. You should be able to get a pretty good idea by reading CNET reviews. Their reviews include post-calibration power consumption ratings, so you may be able to directly compare some of the TVs that you're considering (or similar models). Personally, I consider this to be a pretty minor issue.

Gandu just beat me to posting about CNET.

·
Registered
178 Posts
That article about power consumption is meaningless without some idea as to how bright the image is. Using the factory defaults is useless since there is no standard. I know on my Sharp LC-52SE94U, I can vary the power consumption by quite a bit. Using a Kill-a-Watt meter, I could vary the power consumption from 105 watts to about 300 watts by changing the backlight brightness. The power consumption is independant of what image is displayed on the screen. I think I typically run at about 185 watts.

I would be interested in the full range of power consumption for an equivalent size plasma (50-55'). However, I believe that for plasmas, the power consumption IS dependent upon the displayed image. I guess the only valid comparison would be to measure the entire watt-hour usage for a given movie. Then again, it may depend upon the movie....a dark movie would favor the plasma while a bright movie may favor the LCD.

All I know is that plasmas are always very warm to the touch. And I WISH we paid only 11 cents per KWH! Our incremental cost per KWH in California is about 33 cents. Only the absurdly low life-line base amount is near 11 cents.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cnet also shows the power cunsumption when sets are calibtated. The Sony 52 XBR6 annual cost is $41.78 calibrated and with power save $26.52. The Panasonic 50Z800u calibrated is $89.11 with no power save, and 2 inches smaller.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Considering the price between the Panasonic and Sony, it'll take you using the plasma a good few years before you start getting a net loss overall. This should be the last factor you should consider, IMO on a TV. There are so much more pushing issues than power both on LCD and plasma side.

·
Registered
932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightforce18 /forum/post/15588312

im in the same boat as you.

My choices are

1. Pioneer 50 inch Kuro

2. LN45A950 Samsung

OR spend alot more and aim for the

3. Pioneer 50 inch Elite Kuro

4. LN55A950

If you are seriously interested you should check with some forum sponsers. The 50 inch Elite Kuro is not THAT much more than your smaller Sammy950 right now.

·
Registered
932 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by david(dallas) /forum/post/15599963

My expereince exectly. I had a Panny Plasma and Sony XBR4 in my house last year. Plasma black are better than the LCD's, but I hated the whites. I could get theLCD black close to my likely and the whites were great along with the brightness I like to see in TVs. I could NEVER get the plasma's whites anywhere close to my liking. As stated, whatching hockey or heavy snows sceens in movies, the whites just were DULL.. I see the same today when I look at plasma's versus LCDs when I go to BB or CC. I can always stand back from the wall of TVs and point out the Plasmas because they look so DULL.

That's my 2 cents..

Of course it looks dull at Best Buy. I couldn't agree more. In my home however the whites don't even approach "dull" For what it is worth LCD's look horrible in places like BB and even in SonyStyle stores set to default torch mode. Anyone serious about a display can throw out store displays for either Plasma or LCD. Especially places that hide the remotes and don't want you tinkering with them.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I picked up a LN52A750 and returned it for the Pioneer 151FD. I tried to force myself to like the plasma look - in the end it was just not for me. Yes it gave a great immage, just looked to plain for me; I like the soap opera look and the brightness of an LCD

Well... returned the 151FD and am thinking in picking up the 55a950, but, ill be deployed (short deployment) soon here and figure whats the point in buying now if its just going to sit. Im hoping that Samsun will announce something new for their 900 series by the time I get back. Im interested in seeing what this 240hz is going to bring to the table ... but from what Ive read on here, the 6/7/8 series still do not measure up to the 900 - but again this is all subjective

Edit: Let me add that I did not return the 750 because I did not like the set, I simply wanted a LARGER screen

1 - 20 of 52 Posts