AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings Everyone,

I am pretty new to this streaming thing so I was hoping someone could help me out.

First I would like to point out that I am using a Mac.

I have started ripping my DVD library with a program called RipIt. This program rips the full DVD. Each rip is between 7-8GB's.

I want to start transferring these rips to a NAS or External Hard Drive. Preferably something that can hold up to 4TB of movies.

Any idea what direction I should go in? External HDD or NAS?

I will then be using this drive to Boxee Box or Popbox.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

CLE

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I think NAS is too time consuming. I transferred a 7GB .mkv file last night and it took 6 hours. It's much quicker to hook up an external drive, transfer the files, and move it to your media player. NAS is fine if you don't mind setting up a transfer before going to bed.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts
Boxee Box is dead to me as it will not have ISO support for DVD or BD that I am aware of.

Ideally I would run XBMC but they also don't really have a good way to handle play back of full BD rips.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 /forum/post/18410353

I think NAS is too time consuming. I transferred a 7GB .mkv file last night and it took 6 hours. It's much quicker to hook up an external drive, transfer the files, and move it to your media player. NAS is fine if you don't mind setting up a transfer before going to bed.

You need to upgrade your backbone. I use Gigabit and Wireless-N on my network and I can move 7 GB .mkv files relatively quickly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
In addition to the Popbox (which I am excited about as well), HDX Digitech just announced the Bone which is a super small player as well and will cost $119. I prefer the HDX 1000 and HDX-BD1 over the Popcorn Hour models, so if all things are equal, I may go for the Bone. However, the Netflix feature of the Popbox will make me go that way if HDX does not also announce Netflix support.

·
Registered
11,145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdocili /forum/post/18411222

In addition to the Popbox (which I am excited about as well), HDX Digitech just announced the Bone which is a super small player as well and will cost $119. I prefer the HDX 1000 and HDX-BD1 over the Popcorn Hour models, so if all things are equal, I may go for the Bone. However, the Netflix feature of the Popbox will make me go that way if HDX does not also announce Netflix support.

From what I've read, the HDX-BD1 has major issues in need of firmware fixes.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpage2 /forum/post/18411246

From what I've read, the HDX-BD1 has major issues in need of firmware fixes.

I own a HDX-BD1 and love it. It has a few kinks, but they release firmware fixes quite often and have a major release coming out in the next couple of days. It plays a hell of a lot more file types than my PS3 or Apple TV flawlessly. Like I said, it is not perfect, but it finds all of my files on my NAS or MAC (Samba share) and plays them nicely. I hear problem after problem with the C200 and other PH machines and they cost more.

Anyways, I am still hoping for a Network Media Player with Netflix (Popbox) and also a good Blu Ray player with not only Netflix (like the Samsung models), but a robust DLNA/UPnP client. A few are out there, but they lack the ability to use many file formats. I have every type, and the HD-X is the only thing that can watch them all.

·
Registered
380 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJO1966 /forum/post/18410353

What NAS is do you have and are you trying to send the data via a wireless network or wired network?

I have 2 different NAS's and I can send 7 GB of data in under 5 minutes to either one from my PC.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I have a Prodigi PD100-N with an external hard drive. The Prodigi is wired into an Airport Extreme and my MacBook Pro is Wireless-N.

I just started an 8GB .iso file and it's estimating about an hour. I don't know what was going on last night to slow things down so much. Disregard my last remark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.