AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone.....Newbie here, first time I've posted here. I was hoping you could give me your opinions on the following HT that I'm thinking of purchasing.

The room is somewhat of an awkward room that is 18X20 but there is windows and a fireplace and open areas that are causing us to place the tv in one of the corners and building the system around that.

TV: Runco 50" Plasma

Front and Center Speakers: Thiel Powerpoint (since the room doesn't have a lot of room for speakers, I liked the idea of going with the powerpoint instead of inwall speakers so I don't lose any quality of sound throughout the room)

Rear Speakers: Paradigm CS series in wall speakers

Sub: Either Martin Logan or Velodyne

Processor: Krell Showcase

Amp: Krell 5.1 Showcase

My question is....would you suggest going a different route on the processor/amp and instead save some money and go with a high end receiver like Denon since I won't be pushing huge speakers?

One other question as well......if you use brackets for a plasma, can you swing the tv in different directions all of the time or would you suggest limiting the movement?

Thank you all for your help.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Don't forget acoustical treatment. This "component" is at least as important (if not more) as all your others. The average drywall faced home theater room is pretty poor for multichannel listening, and is just about guaranteed to reduce the quality of the sound as it travels from your speakers to your ears.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you 9volt and Terry.....

9 volt any suggestions on what you would recommend for front and back speakers?

Terry.....how can I assure that I'm getting the most of my system? How can I help the acoustic settings of the room?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I recommend acoustical analysis to determine the specific requirements. I'm a home theater acoustician, and am continually surprised by the unpredictability of HT rooms.

Here's a real-life example. We analyzed two different customers' high-end HT rooms - each with well over $50k in equipment. The rooms were roughly the same size, with hard wall surfaces, and neither had had any acoustical treatment.

The first room rated poor to fair, and needed extensive absorption (around 400 square feet) in different frequency ranges to reduce reverberation to commercial theater standards (my company's "Component Acoustics Certification"). The second room measured almost perfect, with just a small amount of high-frequency absorption, high-frequency diffusion, and some mirror point absorbers to bring it to the same top theater standards.

The most amazing thing was that the second room, which was so much better acoustically, wasn't even a dedicated home theater. It was a family room with kid's toys on the floor! This room had, among other things, a suspended ceiling space which quite accidentally had extraordinarily fine absorption characteristics.

Regards,

Terry

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
that's basically a sqaure room and will almost certainly need some kind of treatment accousticaly .Judging by the gear you chose, you can afford to hire a pro to address your room and it would be worth it.

If not, or If you want to experiment on your own and assuming the speakers and television will be facing out diaganoly into the room from one the corners? , a typical treatment might be something like a bass trap in each corner, or at LEAST one behind the TV, 4 accoustic panels on the 90 deg. walls opposite the speakers and a pair of room-lenses (helmholtz resonators) next to the speakers. Most importantly, fabric curtains over all the windows using the heaviest material you can find, maybe burlap over black-out lining? Of course this is just a stab in the dark without some metering but it would be a start to a learning experience if you have the time to experiment and build your own accoustic accessories. (they're way to expensive commercially for trial and eror) ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.