AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my good old Outlaw Audio model 950 has gotten way to long in the tooth and is starting to not respond to its remote so I'm thinking its time for an upgrade.

I see that Outlaw has a new Pre/Pro on the way but its a bit pricy.

Right now I like what I'm seeing from Emotiva. The new UMC-1 looks to be a nice piece and the price is more in the range id like to be spending.

My question is are there any other options out there that are in that $700.00 price range that I should be looking at.

Keep in mind I still have my Outlaw 7100 amp so I really don't want to go the receiver as Pre route.

Thanks in advance guys

Lasher

·
Registered
2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboRay /forum/post/17011979

B-stock Onkyo 885/886 or Integra 9.8/9.9s, and the Denon Pro DN-A7100 are the only things that come to mind for under a grand (and the Denon is very minimalist on features).

Anything else out there, 2 grand and under? Waiting for the Emo, but God only knows when that will get here.

Mike

Looking at the Onkyo right now, looking good.

·
Registered
6,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by localnet /forum/post/17012396

Anything else out there, 2 grand and under? Waiting for the Emo, but God only knows when that will get here.

Mike

Looking at the Onkyo right now, looking good.

I've run the gauntlet of receivers, mid to higher end pre's and with that budget the 9.9 or 9.8 might be the best option, but I seriously wouldn't discount a reciever as a pre-pro either. A receiver as a pre-pro with properly set up Audyssey MultiEQ XT vs a pre-pro with no RC will probably sound better and you get all the bells and whistles. Heck I had a $500 Yamaha as a fill in between my NAD M15 & the 9.8, and even at that price with the hi-rez codecs and direct DSD of HDMI 1.3a it sounded much better than you'd expect and YPAO is no match for Audyssey IMO.

The Marantz 8003 pre-pro is going in your price range and the only negative I can think of is that it won't apply Audyssey to the hi-rez codecs, but it certainly does everything else.

·
Registered
15,247 Posts
I had a bad remote on a TV once. Turned out the lead from the sensor had either developed a cold solder joint or something like that. I resoldered the leads and it worked fine for many years more.

·
Registered
2,947 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasher /forum/post/17010703

Well my good old Outlaw Audio model 950 has gotten way to long in the tooth and is starting to not respond to its remote so I'm thinking its time for an upgrade.

I see that Outlaw has a new Pre/Pro on the way but its a bit pricy.

Right now I like what I'm seeing from Emotiva. The new UMC-1 looks to be a nice piece and the price is more in the range id like to be spending.

My question is are there any other options out there that are in that $700.00 price range that I should be looking at.

Keep in mind I still have my Outlaw 7100 amp so I really don't want to go the receiver as Pre route.

Thanks in advance guys

Lasher

I just retired mine, too. I tell you what, you have to give props to that 950....I've had mine for seven years and the thing has performed beautifully. The only thing I've noticed is that the manual volume knob seems to have a mind of its own, but everything else still works great.

Over the past six months, I've been using it solely for it's 5.1 analog bypass with the bass mgmt switch, and allowing my BD player to do the processing for HT. It did a great job with that, just as it did for digital processing all those years in DD/DTS. Definitely one of the best audio purchases I've ever made

·
Registered
6,688 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dioneo /forum/post/17013881

If your ceiling is as high as two-grand, you should be able to snag a used Marantz AV8003 for well under that. A very highly regarded piece of gear.

I've seen new ones for under that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts