AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So now that Samsung has said they are leaving the rear projection DLP market in 2009 how risky is it to invest in this technology? I've been strongly considering a LED based DLP set. I realize that the LEDs are suppose to last "the lifetime of the set", but in the event something breaks (because electronic gadgets do that from time to time) what is the likelyhood of finding the parts needed to repair the set and finding someone to service the thing.

The same question goes for the bulb based DLP sets. No doubt, bulb based DLP front projection units will continue to be manufactured. Are those bulbs compatible with the rear projection sets? Any chance these parts and the service techs needed to perform the repairs will become difficult to find in 5-10 years down the road?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
I am a dlp bulb model owner and I also wonder about parts. After a few years, the repair becomes more expensive than just buying a new tv. So I don't worry too much about it. Hopefully, bulbs will be available for a while as so many bulb models are out in people's homes, so there will be a demand for them.

On the LED issue, I have seen a few people post that even now, they are not able to get a led lite replaced when one has failed and Samsung replaced the tv as none were available. Going forward, it seems the led's will be harder to repair as so many fewer were sold. It just comes down to demand for repairs parts, and who wants to make parts for so many fewer owners.

So that's how I see it, just my thoughts.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
AFAIK for units sold in the US AFAIK manufacturers are required to have parts available for 5 years after they discontinue selling units. I do not if consumables such as bulbs are required to be available for a longer time,

And after 5 years I would predict that a new system would be a much better investment then a repair.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15509395

AFAIK for units sold in the US AFAIK manufacturers are required to have parts available for 5 years after they discontinue selling units. I do not if consumables such as bulbs are required to be available for a longer time,

And after 5 years I would predict that a new system would be a much better investment then a repair.

That may be so... still I can't imagine the frustration for someone investing $1800+ now in one of the 700 series, Samsung LED-DLP sets only to have a part go out five years down the road, outside of warrenty and with no one to repair the thing.... We have Samsung's word that the LED technology is good for 20,000+ hours, but we don't really know how reliable (in terms of defect rate) this technology is.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmz76 /forum/post/15517198

That may be so... still I can't imagine the frustration for someone investing $1800+ now in one of the 700 series, Samsung LED-DLP sets only to have a part go out five years down the road, outside of warrenty and with no one to repair the thing.... We have Samsung's word that the LED technology is good for 20,000+ hours, but we don't really know how reliable (in terms of defect rate) this technology is.

I would think that for peace-of-mind an Extended Service Contract would help. Yes, you may not be able to go longer than 4 or 5 years (unless they allow you to renew it) but most have some prevision as to what they will do if parts are not available. I can't believe that my previous 65" HD RPTV lasted seven years and is still working (gave it to my son-in-law but he had to pay $195 to move that 413 pound beast) but as much as we use our Home Theater five years would be great. By then 1080P may be "Old School". For $1800 that is only $360 a year for enjoyment. Enjoy today, tomorrow may never come! Today we are really enjoying our new Samsung HL67A750 set!

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/15509395

Trying to get a new power supply for HL67A750 that is 6 months old. Tech came out and said a new power supply was needed. Got a call from him today and says the part is no longer available and the ball is in Samsung's court. This is not looking too good.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
Was the Tech a Samsung employee?

If not then when did the tech say he would have a response from Samsung to how they would supply the user with a replacement unit since they have already run out of parts?

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by walford /forum/post/16747999

Was the Tech a Samsung employee?

If not then when did the tech say he would have a response from Samsung to how they would supply the user with a replacement unit since they have already run out of parts?

This was not a Samsung employee; it was an authorized tech that Samsung sent to check out the TV as part of the warranty. The tech was quite surprised to find that he couldn't get the part but has no idea how long it will take to hear back from Samsung as to how this will be resolved. Tomorrow will be the 10th day from when I first called with the issue.

I tried calling Samsung today but the CSR I spoke with could only confirm what the tech told me but nothing more. I have been on hold trying to reach executive customer relations for the past 30 mins and still waiting, but less patiently.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, I just got off the phone and they did confirm that they are no longer making parts for this TV. I am surprised that a TV manufactured in Dec 2008 can not be fixed.

They are so far refusing to refund my money and instead want me to accept the LN55B650. Which I do not want. I am trying to pursue the refund route since I can't imagine owning another Samsung.

Does a swap of a LN55B650 for a 5 month old HL67A750A seem reasonable. This TV will be much too small for my family which is why I went the DLP route to get a quality 67" screen.

Any tips/help?

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
Power supply BP96-01726B $72.18 seems to be available at samsungparts.com, no backorder noted on the Encompass site.

All manufacturers make spare parts during production of a set and then usually never go back and make more. That means that you can say the same for virtually any product and the parts that are specific to that unit. They don't make parts any more after production stops. Really a meaningless statement. The real question is whether the parts are stocked in quantity enough to last through the expected life of the product. this will depend on the manufacturer and the decisions that they make on each product.

There is no federal law in the USA about parts availability. Mass and CA do have such laws but they would be difficult to enforce. You need to check the laws in your state in such matters if you cannot get satisfaction from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
16,749 Posts
AFAIK if a manufacture does not have 5 years worth of parts available at the time a product is discontiuend then then they have to replace the origional unit with an equivalent or newer product durint the 5 year time frame.

Certainly a new 55" TV is not an equivalent replacement for a 67" unit, However AFAIK Samsung no longer makes any 67" units.

It would take a very close reading of the Warranty that came with the TV to know what exactly Samsung's obligations are.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuprous /forum/post/16749014

Well, I just got off the phone and they did confirm that they are no longer making parts for this TV. I am surprised that a TV manufactured in Dec 2008 can not be fixed.

They are so far refusing to refund my money and instead want me to accept the LN55B650. Which I do not want. I am trying to pursue the refund route since I can't imagine owning another Samsung.

Does a swap of a LN55B650 for a 5 month old HL67A750A seem reasonable. This TV will be much too small for my family which is why I went the DLP route to get a quality 67" screen.

Any tips/help?

You just got off the phone with who? The part on Samsung's part website is not showing that it's discontinued. Someone is giving you less than accurate information.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by StevenC56 /forum/post/16750560

You just got off the phone with who? The part on Samsung's part website is not showing that it's discontinued. Someone is giving you less than accurate information.

I just got off the phone with Samsung's ECR department. I was told this is not available from both the service technician and Samsung's executive customer relations department. Is there anyone else you can recommend to call to discuss this issue?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuprous /forum/post/16751315

I just got off the phone with Samsung's ECR department. I was told this is not available from both the service technician and Samsung's executive customer relations department. Is there anyone else you can recommend to call to discuss this issue?

Call Samsung parts and have them check availability on the part. If they say it's available like their website shows, call the service tech back and let him know so he can order the part and repair your unit.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcaillo /forum/post/16749073

Power supply BP96-01726B $72.18 seems to be available at samsungparts.com, no backorder noted on the Encompass site.

All manufacturers make spare parts during production of a set and then usually never go back and make more. That means that you can say the same for virtually any product and the parts that are specific to that unit. They don't make parts any more after production stops. Really a meaningless statement. The real question is whether the parts are stocked in quantity enough to last through the expected life of the product. this will depend on the manufacturer and the decisions that they make on each product.

There is no federal law in the USA about parts availability. Mass and CA do have such laws but they would be difficult to enforce. You need to check the laws in your state in such matters if you cannot get satisfaction from the manufacturer.

He said it is the SUB-SMPS and the part number that is needed is BP94-02329A and it is not available from samsungparts.com

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
There is surely more to the story on a set this new. Perhaps the board is only available as part of a larger assembly. Samsung does not make it easy to sort out which parts are needed sometimes. They have cut off access to their service site for non-ASC servicers. Samsung is hard to work with sometimes, but I know that they will provide parts or a replacement on a set this new. You just need to get in touch with the right people.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Finding the correct person to talk to is the problem I guess. Since every person I have talked to this far insists that there is no option but to proceed with an exchange for a TV model I do not want.

I called samsungparts.com and they also claim that the part is no longer being produced.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
The question is really whether the part number specified is correct or whether there is another number under which the part needed to fix the set may be found. Unfortunately, this kind of problem is common in dealing with Samsung. It helps to have access to the service web site, but that is recently unavailable unless you are an ASC. Many ASCs don't even know how to use it properly and don't access it fully for several reasons, including that it forces you to accept a number of downloads and navigation of the site is clumsy at best. If I get access again I would be glad to look for you, but for now I am stuck with the distributor info and samsungparts.com as well.

If you like the set you may want to sit on it for a while. My experience is that Samsung goes through lots of backorders on parts.

·
Registered
928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuprous /forum/post/16747554

Trying to get a new power supply for HL67A750 that is 6 months old. Tech came out and said a new power supply was needed. Got a call from him today and says the part is no longer available and the ball is in Samsung's court. This is not looking too good.

do u have an extended warranty? from whom?

most extended warranties will kick in AND replace/refund the set even under the manf warranty period if the part is nla or going to b b/o'd for over 60 days.

also, make the samsung servicenter enters a SAW (service action worksheet) or cust. svc won't know anything about your dilemma!

we know since we are an authorized servicenter for over 20 major brands. We also sell Samsung, Integra, Pioneer Elite, JVC, Sunfire/Elan, Sonance, and PSB.

thanks,

alan

audio video designs

cc, tx
[email protected]

·
Registered
20 Posts
No I do not have an extended just the 12 month manufacturer's warranty. I can only go by what the tech is telling and I assume he is giving the correct part number that is no longer available. I do not have the experience/knowledge to verify his claims. There is an established service action worksheet for my claim but they seem to want to settle this as fast as possible. I am having a difficult time for anyone to investigate this unavailable part. I am simply being told that it is no longer being produced.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts