AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after all the hoo-hah surrounding the sale, etc. I picked up an RCA DVR. It's not nearly as nice in most respects, as the Replay, but it is doing the job.

After reviewing things, I've decided to dump my home phone service entirely. I have a Cell phone with unlimited local calling, and long distance is cheaper than I was getting on the land-line. I'm switching it cable for my Internet access.

That means I have a perfectly good, unmodified 3060 that won't function once the phone line is gone.

I hope it's not considered too evil of me to post this here, but I really have this thing against ebay...

So... that said, here's the deal. $200 plus whatever shipping is required. Original, un-hacked ReplayTV 3060. Select button on the remote is going south fast. The unit works like a charm. I live in Cleveland and we can arrange to hand deliver it in the N.E. Ohio area if you live around here. It's served me well and I hate to see it go, but I just can't justify it any more... it's been the only thing holding me back from getting rid of my phone for quite some time.

Mods: If you kill this thread, I'll understand, but I honestly don't know where else to post this so that it gets to a good home that will love and care for it.

PM me here and I'll get back to you within a day if you're interested.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I apologize profusely for not getting back to everyone yesterday... We got a real shocker where I work. The big guy came up from HQ and announced that this office is shutting down... soon.

Man... what a bummer.

Anyhow, I beg your forgiveness, and I'll sift through these and get back to you ASAP.

I was going to respond to each of you individually with this message, but since I can only send one message every 60 seconds, I figured this is easier (if not exactly more personal and effective).

·
Registered
275 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TimSH
I apologize profusely for not getting back to everyone yesterday... We got a real shocker where I work. The big guy came up from HQ and announced that this office is shutting down... soon.

I also had that happen a few years ago. When the "Hatchet Man's" forthcoming visit was announced, we were pretty certain as to what was going to happen. All travel was canceled so that everybody could be at a site wide meeting at which Mr. Hatchet Man would be the featured speaker. I give Mr. Hatchet Man credit though, it took him only about 10 seconds to get the punch line. " Thank you for letting me come here. As you know, we have greatly appreciated the efforts of the people at this facility. Unfortunately, in today's economy ...."

I vividly remember having to pull my oldest daughter from her after school daycare program. For her, the daycare was a very important part of her social life. She stoically tried to fight back tears as she explained to her daycare teacher that she wouldn't be coming back. "Daddy lost his job yesterday and I have to quit school (the daycare) so we can save money".

Ouch, that hurt !

It is very unfortunate but this is just happening with all too much frequency in the current economy. Just ask the Sonic Blue / Replay employees about their Christmas 2002 layoffs !

I wish you all the best.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I dropped my home line as I have unlimited local and long distance cell and a broadband connection. It worked real well except for the credit implications.

Once you drop your home phone you will not be eligible for the instant in-store credit approvals. Meaning, say you want to buy a couch at a department store and you get 10% off for opening a store account, the instant approval center will bounce your application if you have no home phone number. Writing in a cell number doesn't work. Apparently its a database cross check, and without a home phone line in your name its a no go. You will get a letter a week later explaining what happened, and you can fix it by mailing in lots of utility bills, together with pleas to the manager at the credit issuing company, but its a hassle.

I wish I knew before I cancelled home phone service.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Rails
I dropped my home line as I have unlimited local and long distance cell and a broadband connection. It worked real well except for the credit implications.

Once you drop your home phone you will not be eligible for the instant in-store credit approvals. Meaning, say you want to buy a couch at a department store and you get 10% off for opening a store account, the instant approval center will bounce your application if you have no home phone number. Writing in a cell number doesn't work. Apparently its a database cross check, and without a home phone line in your name its a no go. You will get a letter a week later explaining what happened, and you can fix it by mailing in lots of utility bills, together with pleas to the manager at the credit issuing company, but its a hassle.

I wish I knew before I cancelled home phone service.
Is that really the case all over? I haven't had a home phone since 2000 ... but if I want something, I just buy it on a Visa ... and even those I have changed and never had a card company ask about my lack of a land line.

It doesn't seem to make sense. What if the phone is in your wife's name? Or if you have a roommate?

·
Registered
366 Posts
I haven't had a land line since early 2002 and it's been great. No telemarketers, not tied to the house for anything, and it forced me to learn even more about Linux (that I wanted to do but lacked the time) so I could get my 3030 (3070) dialed in and updated every night.

And like Hank, I have also gotten new CCs without a hassle since then.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Back on topic:

Tim, if you want to keep your Replay 3060 w/o a land line, it can be done. An old PC capabale of running a non-GUI version of Linux, a hub, and a phone line simulator are all you need. If you work it right, for no more than a $100-$200 outlay (maybe more, maybe less, depending on what you lying around), which will pay for itself in just a couple of months.

My current setup has my Replay dial into a Linux server via a line simulator and use the broadband connection to retrieve the necessary information from the ReplayTV servers. Works like a charm. Occassionally it'll hiccup and not connect, but it's rare, and I don't even check on the connection logs much any more.

Just something to think about if you really don't want to part ways with your Replay. Most of the info I needed to getmy setup going I found on this board (at this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...g+distance+fix ). PM me if you want to consider this option. I'll help you asmuch as I can.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all who responded. After dealing with the chaos of the work situation, I've finally concluded the deal.

Sorry I can't respond individually, but posting at the rate of one response a minute is not practical.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.