AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to all that have posted the problems with TVGOS with Pioneer 533/633, etc. I did not even make it a full 24 hours before I am ready to disable it.

First the EPG keeps getting stuck trying in enter an access code to an off air ESPN channel (it happened again), but now I just check the progress again and it very kindly ordered a pay for view movie for me!! An "R" rated at that, I am glad my kids were not walking by.

I have always had good luck with Pioneer but I question their choice of using TVGOS and the way it is implemented.

I have my disable instructions in hand.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I spoke to Pioneer and their only suggestion was to reset the TVGOS with a special reset code if it is hung up. The problem is that it is not really hung up it just gets stuck trying to enter a channel number as an access code.

I will disable the TVGOS this evening.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I quite easily & successfully disabled EPG on my DVR-633H from the earliest setup. Mine displays "EPG" whenever it's in standby, but does nothing in that mode ... no drive thrashing at all, just the quiet hum of the fan. I followed the instructions listed here in the "Eureka" thread ... works precisely as advertised.

P.S. mid-stream down that thread, a modified approach gives instructions for doing a full "reset." I don't think that would delete any of your existing data-on-drive, but .... thorough research advised.

·
Registered
948 Posts
I just received the Sony 715. After reading all the problems associated with TYGOS the first thing I did was disable it.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sv_chamelea
I quite easily & successfully disabled EPG on my DVR-633H from the earliest setup. Mine displays "EPG" whenever it's in standby, but does nothing in that mode ... no drive thrashing at all, just the quiet hum of the fan. I followed the instructions listed here in the "Eureka" thread ... works precisely as advertised.

P.S. mid-stream down that thread, a modified approach gives instructions for doing a full "reset." I don't think that would delete any of your existing data-on-drive, but .... thorough research advised.
When I did the reset and entered the secret code from Pioneer mine never even showed EPG. It was very quiet.

I have since gone back and connected 2nd cable to the RF IN and am now running the EPG on the analog only channels and so far it is working great! I have recorded a number of shows without a hitch and when I want a DTV channel I just switch input to L1. Not purfect but most of the regular shows I want to record are on the analog channels.

BTW way when I record from HDTV and replay the with the 480p mode the quality is really quite good and the size is almost correct on my 16x9.

Can't wait until HD recorders come out.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I read a lot of the TVGOS problem threads and bought the Pany EH50. At first I ran the unit with TVGOS disabled. This is a good way to check out your set quickly for general proper operation. After a few days I enabled TVGOS to see how it worked on my cable system (no set top box, straight RF in). I'd read there was a TVguide software update around November that seemed to fix some issues and was willing to give it a try. My TVGOS firmware was updated and I haven't had any issues with the TVGOS for almost a month now. I did let the set bake for 24hrs like they recommend. Now looking forward to someone coming up with a hack to put the playmate of the month up in the commercials window.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoRoy
When I ...

entered the secret code from Pioneer
Cannot imagine why Pioneer feels any need for secrecy. Care to share???

But since you mentioned DTV, and since your EPG is working well ,,, one other question. I've simply assumed, to now, that I'm way better off using TiVo for all time-based capture, and then copying archival stuff to the Pioneer HDD. (After all, TiVo is 98% pure in its time-based capture, better yet, title-based capture.) However, new capabilities beckon.

Pioneer can run in 1.33 fast mode (unsure of ratio) so now I'm thinking ... if I could directly capture my favorite news programs onto the 633 HDD, then I could use rapid scan for watching news and not both to load it onto TiVo at all. Is there a practical way to use EPG for capturing from DTV's video stream?

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Cannot imagine why Pioneer feels any need for secrecy. Care to share???
Sure it was listed in this forum already as well but here are the steps (roughly, it has been a few days).

1) Do the soft reset (Press Stop and Standby/Hold together)

2) Turn back on

3) Hit TV Guide and get to Setup

4) Down arrow once

5) Type 653274147 (you will not see the entries and you do not need to hit enter)

6) When you run the setup Navigator again just tell it no cable / no antenna.

This is supposed to "clean the registry" odd term for a non-Windows based system.

Quote:
Pioneer can run in 1.33 fast mode (unsure of ratio) so now I'm thinking ... if I could directly capture my favorite news programs onto the 633 HDD, then I could use rapid scan for watching news and not both to load it onto TiVo at all. Is there a practical way to use EPG for capturing from DTV's video stream?
I am able to schedule a recording for RF IN or L1 (DTV for me). The only difference is I can specify a channel for RF IN and for L1 there is no choice so you just have to make sure the cable box is on the correct channel.

·
Registered
231 Posts
does disabling TVGOS with this code leave the unit with the problem of the 20-30 second pause when you power it up?

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
EDIT: Whoops sorry, I'm talkigngbout disabling the EPG accodring to the Eureka Topic. I've not used the above code. So consider that when reading my initial post below:

Yes, according to reports. But I disabled mine, yet it still says EPG on the front panel, but makes no disc noise. And powers up right away.

The 20-30 second delays is "normal" in the sense that it's just booting up from standby. Without disabling the EPG, it rarely ever gets into standby since it is nearly always grinding away at the hard disc. If you were to catch it with no EPG on the front panel, with the EPG still enabled, it would also take 20-30 seconds to power up.

You can undo the disable-EPG hack easily enough, in case you are dissatisfied with it's behavior.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have now flip flopped back and forth a couple of times. I had the TVGOS working fine for 2 weeks with no issues except the noise so I am now disabling again to regain my quiet. I was even starting to get used to the quirky GUI ;) .

One thing I did not remember happening the first time I disabled is if I specify no cable / no antenna that I did not get RF IN as a choice in Timer REC. I had to go back and say yes to cable (no box) to get RF IN working again. This sort of makes sense but I just did not remember it.

Any way I am still hoping Pioneer may work out the kinks in ths and maybe even provide some FW updates.

One other note for those having problems. I was actually fighting a couple of problems and did not realize it at the beginning. My other problem was that I had a bad cable buried in the yard from the service coming in. I was losing 6 to 7db over 100ft and should have only lost 2db max. Once I got a nice strong signal some of the updating begin working much better (consistently filling in future days and date time never missed).

Something to consider any way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nameless33
I'd read there was a TVguide software update around November that seemed to fix some issues and was willing to give it a try. My TVGOS firmware was updated and I haven't had any issues with the TVGOS for almost a month now.
Where did you find a firmware update for TVGOS? The firmware update provided by Panasonic on their site for the EH50 deals only with blank DVD compatibility I thought...

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
I'm not sure if this is what he was talking about, but this was sent out by TVGOS in their data stream. Almost everyone was getting constant U99 error messages and unsteady data that kept giving them "No Listings" in their guides. This seemed to finally clear up for most people after about a month and was eventually attributted to some kind of update.

·
Registered
122 Posts
On the EH50, I'm not using TVGOS and set CABLE to "No". I set time and date manually. I'm only using the IN1 input, nothing connected to RF-IN coaxial. But the EH50 still makes noise and searches for data when not in use. When Powered on, it says Search for Data has failed. So I've been unplugging it every night.

Did I do something wrong?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanquint
On the EH50, I'm not using TVGOS and set CABLE to "No". I set time and date manually. I'm only using the IN1 input, nothing connected to RF-IN coaxial. But the EH50 still makes noise and searches for data when not in use. When Powered on, it says Search for Data has failed. So I've been unplugging it every night.

Did I do something wrong?
To disable the TVGOS on the Panasonics you need to choose “Set Channels Automatically†in the setup. After that you need to schedule timer recordings manually. You must say "yes" to cable and "no" to cable box to be able to record analog channels from your RF cable input. If you choose "no" to cable, you will only be able to record from the IN inputs.

I think that you will need to either connect your RF in for the set channels part for the recorder to find channels even if you do not want to record them.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoRoy
... if I specify no cable / no antenna that I did not get RF IN as a choice in Timer REC. I had to go back and say yes to cable (no box) to get RF IN working again.
Thanks for posting Pioneer's secret code, but I decided that I'm better off using "Eureka" method to disable EPG: Canada zip code, no cable, no antenna. The result of this approach is that my unit goes into "EPG standby." It shows time and EPG in a dimmed display panel, and it is completely silent of disk chatter. However, there is no start-up delay, so it must be sleeping rather than "off."

In this configuration, my manual timer does not show any "RF-IN" port, but it does show Ch 3. I have my DirecTiVo connected to both the Coax-in and the L1 composite port, and they seem to yield equal PQ.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:
Thanks for posting Pioneer's secret code, but I decided that I'm better off using "Eureka" method to disable EPG: Canada zip code, no cable, no antenna. The result of this approach is that my unit goes into "EPG standby." It shows time and EPG in a dimmed display panel, and it is completely silent of disk chatter. However, there is no start-up delay, so it must be sleeping rather than "off."

In this configuration, my manual timer does not show any "RF-IN" port, but it does show Ch 3. I have my DirecTiVo connected to both the Coax-in and the L1 composite port, and they seem to yield equal PQ.
I used a combination method to get RF-IN back. I set the country / zip to CANADA and said I have cable but no box. I get all my channels and EPG displays some of the time but no noise. The code above clears the registry of any lingering settings.

My time stays set properly this way as well.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgazzara
To disable the TVGOS on the Panasonics you need to choose “Set Channels Automatically†in the setup. After that you need to schedule timer recordings manually. You must say "yes" to cable and "no" to cable box to be able to record analog channels from your RF cable input. If you choose "no" to cable, you will only be able to record from the IN inputs.

I think that you will need to either connect your RF in for the set channels part for the recorder to find channels even if you do not want to record them.
I can set my channels automatically in this way but when it tries to set the clock automatically, it says "incomplete." I have to set the clock manually and I still get TVGOS when I turn on the EH50. :(

I've reset the EH50, said "yes" to cable and "no" to cable box (TWCNY), and tuned cable box to channel 13. I have my EH50 connected to my cable box through RF and S-Video and set the input to ch 3 (RF). Any ideas on why this is not disabling my TVGOS?

I've searched in the NY TWC forum but came up empty...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski
I'm not sure if this is what he was talking about, but this was sent out by TVGOS in their data stream. Almost everyone was getting constant U99 error messages and unsteady data that kept giving them "No Listings" in their guides. This seemed to finally clear up for most people after about a month and was eventually attributted to some kind of update.
Yes, I was referring to a TVGOS update coming over the usual broadcast system.

I think this update was originally around oct or nov timeframe, fixing some issues. I read about it in another thread here on AVS (somewhere) and thought I'd give the TVGOS a try.

So far so good.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.