AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have put together my HTPC based on an ASUS P4B233 with 1.6A GHz P4. This motherboard has on-board digital audio and it came with an RF in/out connector (wish it had been TOSLINK!). I am running WinXP Pro - my first shot at this OS. The combination has been baffling so far.

While waiting for TheaterTek to arrive, I have been running a copy of PowerDVD that came with the DVD-ROM drive. When I check the hardware configuration screen of PowerDVD, despite all fiddling I have made with the cryptic sound drivers on WinXP, the Information Tab on the Configuration page says "SPDIF Output Device: Not Detected".

Any pointers on how to get the ASUS motherboard digital audio to be seen by the DVD player to do pass through?

Details:

C-Media Driver: 5.12.1.637

In Advanced Audio Properties - Speaker Setup - 5.1 Surround Sound Speakers (tried other options)

Many thanks!

Ken

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Khoyme:

___For S/PDIF output from the onboard C-Media chipset of your P4B266, you should Windows Update your drivers to the 637 which you have apparently already done. Next, open up the C-Media based mixer and on the first tab (SPDIF), in the output section; check off S/PDIF playback. For DD/DTS based DVD’s, I highly recommend that you set them up to use 48 KHz as this is their native sampling frequency. For CD-Audio and MP3’s via S/PDIF, set this option to 44.1 KHz. On the second tab (Speakers), check off either the headphone or 2-speaker icon option and on the bottom of that page; check off S/PDIF playback. In your SW DVD player of choice, setup the audio output for S/PDIF and your pretty much set. By the way, some of the 3.xx versions of PowerDVD could not output DD/DTS via S/PDIF under either Windows 2000 or XP. Just a heads up as it has been a while since I was using 2.55.0620 vs. the 3.xx versions under Windows 2000 for similar reasons. PowerDVD 4.x XP works like a charm …

___As far as Tos-Link is concerned, many would consider COAX as an even better choice but that is an argument for the Audiophile forums ;) By the way, Asus does sell the 2 in – 2 out COAX and Tos-Link S/PDIF in/out module but they are tough to find in my own experience.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___Hunt Club Farms Landscaping Ltd.

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
COAX better than Tos-Link - never seen this?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Ramick:

___You should spend a little time in the AVScience Audio and Hi-Fi forums for the debate of a lifetime … from the audiophiles anyway ;)

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by xcel
By the way, Asus does sell the 2 in – 2 out COAX and Tos-Link S/PDIF in/out module but they are tough to find in my own experience.
has ANYONE found a source for these ???

:confused:

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Hi Jimwhite:

___If you live in Europe, no problem as I saw a web site that offered them just the other day. Here in the US, you either have to have a connection or two or I have read that BZBoyz.com possibly has them. They are a shady outfit so make sure they offer you exactly what you want as well as for a price you are willing to pay if they do in fact offer them.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes

___ [email protected]

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wayne,

Appreciate all the help you provide on this board - I have read many of your posts as I converged on my system.

I rechecked everything, and set to your settings. (They had been among the various options I had tried). I checked my PowerDVD that came with the Lite-On DVD-ROM drive, and it was a version 4.0 product (PowerDVD XP). The docs listed a Basic, Standard and upgrade product -- only the top two supporting 5.1 output. Nowhere could I find what version I had.

The trick for me was punching down the Cat-5 in the equipment corner and getting the HTPC back on the Internet. I checked into the PowerDVD site and found a patch to download. Did that, and voile - in now drives S/PDIF out!

Now the bummer is my receiver's RF input isn't working. :( I have had it for over 4 years and got the DVD player 4 years ago this June. I connected a TOSLINK back then and never looked back. So, when I got no sound from the HTPC I connected the RF out from the player to the RF in of the receiver -- nothing came out. Until I was sure the HTPC was sending out S/PDIF data, I couldn't isolate what was at fault. With the PowerDVD upgrade, the cheap speakers I plugged into the analog Mobo output crackled with digital static (and the status screen indicated it was routing DD to the S/PDIF output). No sound from the amp. :( :( Was planning to replace that next year, not this...

So, in the time being, I need TOSLINK out. Audiophile's be damned...

I also ran the ATI Multimedia tests that came with the Radeon 7200 board. The only thing that failed was the digital audio out. Their spec was a time base accuracy +/- 0.2% -- they measured the ASUS audio at -0.4%.

So, I am shopping for a MAudio board with TOSLINK out. Cheaper than the separate Pre/Pro amps I want to upgrade to later....

Progress!

Thanks again...

Ken

·
Registered
797 Posts
In xcel's reply, he suggested checking SPDIF output. The problem I have

with the applet is this selection is only possible if, on the Speakers tab,

one selects either Headphones or 2 Speakers.

Is this your situation, khoyme?

·
Registered
378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Xcel,

Yup -- that is what I converged on last night. Thanks for the Digital Connection pointer -- ordered it today and it has shipped. Should be a better solution than the on-board anyway.

Edmc,

Yes -- that is the settings I needed to use to get S/PDIF output going. When that happened, the standard analog stereo speakers plugged into the normal audio out jacks started buzzing like banshees. So, when it is running S/PDIF pass through, it doesn't appear to be passing analog stereo out to the normal speakers (nor muting them). Depending on your normal setup for speakers and external amp, this may or may not be acceptable.

I am hoping that the M-Audio DIO 2496 solution will pass the normal Windows sounds through to the S/PDIF connector, so my DD 5.1 amp can play whatever when configured for home theater. If not, I will live with having good digital surround output for watching movies.

Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.