AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...

I'm expecting my new Pioneer 5070 around Wednesday. I've read these threads until my eyes bugged out.
It's a little startling to see all of the information available. Thanks for all the great advice and tips. I'm excited to see how my new toy looks.

A couple noob questions...

1) I've seen people talk about using a break-in DVD that flashes different colors on the screen for about 60 seconds. Does this really help that much or is it just for impatient people who don't want to stretch their content for the first 100+ hours to avoid pillar burn-in? I don't mind the stretch so much. I'm more worried about a DVD player hicupping in the middle of the night and sitting on some screen for hours, frankly. Or is there another real benefit to the screen that is "broken in" evenly rather than with imagery?

2) As far as I can tell, the manual I downloaded from Pioneer makes no mention of holding back on the contrast / brightness for the first 100 hours. How come? What's it really doing that helps down the road?

3) I'm just starting into the HD world. I have plain ol' regular cable and a standard definition DVD + Tivo box from Toshiba. I'm mostly interested in live sports, movies and an occasional network series (24, The Office, Survivor... that's about it). What should be my next step? I know this panel upconverts fairly well. Does that mean I should wait on buying an upconverting DVD until I can foot the real HD-DVD?

Thanks for any advice you can give to a guy trying to be ready to unpack. I'd like to treat it nicely...

· Registered
3,825 Posts
There's a breakin thread and specific Pioneer threads so you can read up a ton if you want. Here's how I would play it, common-sense wise:

(1) I don't know about stretching/non-stretching, because I stretch most of my non-HD 16:9 stuff and I don't mind at all (alot of times I'm at a PC with my back to the TV 80% of the time or I'm reading while I watch TV). If you're watching a movie with friends, I can understand seeing it un-stretched...but does stretching Nick-At-Nite or CNN or FoxNews really matter that much? I default to stretch and if I want something non-stretched, I alter it, rather than the other way around.

(2) I would avoid relying on a DVD for breakin. If you want to play it for a few hours while you are there, that's one thing. But breaking in a TV means breaking in during NORMAL viewing. Watch some SD....some HD....some DVD's.....some VHS tapes.....sports....movies.....news channels...4-6 hour viewing sessions.....30 minute viewing sessions. That's the way to break it in during the first 3-4 weeks, not to use a DVD to cram it in 5-7 days.

(3) Keep your contratst at 30-45% of maximum the first 2 weeks or so. Then about 50% the next 2 weeks. Then as you like (but best under 75% of max or so).

(4) I'm not an expert but upconverting is sometimes oversold. The scalers in most HDTV's are excellent and while I don't have a Pioneer myself, I'm sure it's very good. The reason upconverting DVD players do a good job is not the upconverting per se, but the fact that they are top-notch upper-echelon DVD players.

Why not see how your old DVD player is and then wait and do more research...you may want an upconverting DVD player, an HDDVD player, or even a PS3 (I may go that route).

Wait a while on the DVD player...you'll be busy enough the firs 2 months enjoying the TV itself and experimenting. When you've got that down pat, then look to branch out to new equipment.

I'll let your fellow Pioneer owners take it from here.....good luck !

· Registered
3,825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdshopping /forum/post/0

Thanks very much... great advice. I get a little overwhelmed by all the sections and threads. Appreciate the tips!

Quite welcome...and yeah, AVS can be overwhelming at times...all the more reason if this is your 1st HDTV to get familiar with the Pioneer before going onto the DVD. Why try and learn 2 sophisticated electronic pieces at the same time?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.